Thursday 12 March 2020

French Apple Cake, Creativity, Mental Health, Hand Stitching,

I had a hankering for cake on the weekend, thought about it Saturday and relented on Sunday.  I made a French Apple Cake and used several Ambrosia apples that we love from Costco. It was light and delicious...what a great recipe and wonderful instructions from the talented Jenn at Once Upon a Chef. Just because it has French in the title doesn't mean it's fancy- quite the opposite, simple ingredients really. It tastes so good we are not needing any cream or ice cream with it.  And because I'm basically sugar free, it is satisfying my urge for something a little bit sweet.
We've been watching this version of Bleak House on Britbox and enjoying it.  Lady Dedlock is played by Gillian Anderson who I think has a face made for subtext. In this case, hiding well a secret that could ruin her.
                                  Image result for bleak house with gillian anderson
 Dickens' play with words in naming his characters amused us.   I said if he had to name me I would definitely be Mrs. Threadwear. (note threads on my sweater below)

I have a couple photos to share of my start on the Book Club Hand Pieced Quilt Along blocks.
Here with making up the templates.  Some curves to tackle. Love my cardboard stash.
I have a small quarter inch ruler which I've found to be invaluable for applique and piecing and use a pencil to draw on the lines.
Trying to keep my stitches small and straight with a back tack here and there.
I'm thinking of making more than one of some of the simpler blocks since I have the templates ready. I like these first blocks enough to want a bigger finished piece. It's always fun to see how colour choices affect the look of a pieced block.
Up to my neck in baskets in the sewing room. These were freezer paper appliqued and still need a few pieces removed.
I have several trains of basket blocks sewn together. Ongoing at the machine.

Rose at Threadbare Creations wrote an important post about the link between creativity and mental health.  She speaks about finding our flow, a place where being in the moment makes our worries and negative thoughts disappear, is the sweet spot of creative hobbies.   I know it works for me.  Does it work for you?

I'm sharing this video today. Filmed on the Atlantic Ocean's edge, it features the Newfoundland groups, Women's Lady Cove Choir and Eastern Owl, an indigenous drumming group. Warrior made its rounds on Facebook during the International Day of Women and is powerful.  There is something about the drumming that makes it so.
I was also happy to spy a lovely closeup of one of my Facebook friends singing her heart out.

Costco was unusually quiet on Tuesday.  We were actually able to sit and have a hot dog there which we haven't been able to do for almost two years...the seats are always taken.  Toilet paper was on special so loads of it available.
During our walk yesterday we were happy to hear the Barred Owl.  It's been a while. I walked and walked trying to locate him but no luck. But I did get another photo of one of our resident bunnies. They've been living in the wood pile at the back door.
I hope your week has been good and your weekend will be even better.
Always happy to link with Not Afraid of Color, Viewing Nature With EileenCreations, Quilts, ArtFor the Love of GeeseWhat a Hoot QuiltsLove Laugh QuiltSum of Their Stories and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

21 comments :

PaintedThread said...

Bun!! What a cutie. I can totally get behind that flow of creativity. I love when I hit that spot. Your projects are coming along!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your apple cake looks delicious, Jocelyn! It's nice to have a go-to simple recipe like that for when you're craving a treat. I am just about ready to start working on my first Book Club QAL block. I didn't know if I could accurately make the templates out of cardboard, so bought some template plastic today. Your video gave me the shivers - so beautiful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your apple cake looks wonderful - I had an apple cake recipe at one time that I used to make years ago and then lost it and never was able to replicate it right - it had apples and chopped walnuts in it.
you have been very busy! the toilet paper over stocking it starting here too - I went to the store yesterday and there was very little of it left! the girl at the checkout said they were restocking daily.

Jenny said...

I can't understand all the fuss about toilet paper. We have two factories producing this product here in New Zealand so it is made locally, and they have increased production because of all the panic buying. Your cake looks delicious, I'm going to check out the chefs website.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That French Apple Cake looks wonderful! WOW, you saw real toilet paper, the shelves are bare down here. That cute bunny sure looks cold.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The cake looks awesome. OMG the bunnie is cute. Your hand stitching is awesome as well as your baskets. Thanks for sharing the music it is awesome.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love barred owls!

Quilting Babcia said...

The apple cake looks like a perfect treat, thanks for sharing the recipe link. Your little applique baskets are wonderful. I wonder if I'll ever get back to mine again.

andy's colours said...

Thank you for the wonderful music. Women's day was not really celebrated here in Germany due to the Corona outbreak. As from Monday, schools and kindergardens are closed. Luckily a lot can be done via the internet. It is interesting, though, to hear how the virus affects your life in Canada. News on TV or the web is usually too general to give us an impression of what really is going on in the world. Your French cake reminded me very much of a recipe we used at school in New Zealand (except for the rum aroma) just a few years (decades(:) ago. Brings back nice memories.
Andrea L. (from Nana's Nähcafé)

Eva H. said...

I love to bake by apples.Your cake must be mňam,mňam.I thing some days about cake from yougurt dought with apricots.
It is all closed here too.I don´t go out because I´m long time ill.All school are closed.It is very sad time here in whole world.
Hugs Eva by Czech Republic :-)

Michele McLaughlin said...

The baskets look great! So does that cake--yum! Can't wait to see the book club blocks! Have a great week! Mickie

LA Paylor said...

thank you for the video. I got goose bumps and so wish we could be progressive enough to finally have a woman for president. I just never bake for some reason, just have to get started again, your cake sounds so good. We need comfort food, I'm really depleted from worry, worry over the last 2 1/2 years. Nearly all is closed here... but we can still for the moment go for a walk. Your bunny picture is astoundingly beautiful, thank you as always for a beautiful post. LeeAnna

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Always so many interesting bits to read about (and see!) in your posts. The cake looks yummy, but the best photo is that sweet little bunny.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty basket blocks, and your hand stitching is great! I'm glad you find your flow ;)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a cute bunny. I love the basket quilt blocks. The apple cake sounds delicious, I will save that recipe. It is great you were able to beat the crowd at Costco, I hear it is a madhouse now. Thank you for linking up. Wishing you a healthy and happy new week ahead!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I so enjoyed this post-tranquil and fun. I need cake. Costcos here are overwhelmed with hoarding shoppers. Even my local Safeway was crazy- I went for my normal groceries and was shocked at the number of people there on Friday. I only got what I needed. Most stores have cut there hours so their employees can have time to clean and restock shelves. Just crazy. Stay warm and enjoy your day! Mary

QuiltGranma said...

Somewhere in my store of paper printed patterns from the internet I have the pattern for that basket quilt block... I need to dig it out and get to work on it! Love yours!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I know all about the "flow"! It helps me through life! Your apple cake looks very yummy! I love the projects you're working on. They look very interesting!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love seeing your basket blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Stay healthy!

Linda said...

That cake looks yummy - I've saved the recipe to try. The hand-pieced sew-along looks a bit more complicated than the one I did last year (during which I discovered I have little patience for hand piecing, lol!) The lady's choir music was hauntingly beautiful. Yes, the creativity is definitely sparked in my sewing room, and I've been absent from it since last week (daughter and grands visiting). Today is the day! Hope you are doing well.

For the love of geese said...

I love your baskets. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down, cant wait to see the finished quilt.