Tuesday 31 March 2020

To Do List, Blue Scrappy Strings, Book Club Hand Quilting

Our concern has heightened just a bit with the news that the virus has hit a nursing home just one town away from us with 4 people infected. We were going to do the grocery pick up this week but have decided SIL will do it for us.  Basically we are not going off our property.  We are so fortunate and grateful to have our space to walk and roam and more than enough hobbies/activities to amuse us in the house.

With that in mind, we intend to maintain our twice daily walks. We both enjoy the fresh air and Murphy can't live without them! I intend to keep using the elliptical trainer indoors for a little fitness boost as it's a bit icy underfoot outside for jogging just now.
Though wet yesterday, there was a definite smell of spring in the air (you know that earthy wonderful smell!), more of the paths snow free, birds chirping and the chipmunks and red squirrels running about. Life in nature going about its business as usual which is always wonderful to observe.

Here are some specific things I hope to accomplish this week.

 I plan to make a list of my projects on the go and those that are in the queue requiring quilting. I can think of four including my cross stitch/embroidery currently being worked on.  I also want to list those I would like to start next as that is kind of fuzzy just now.

Return emails to friends to catch up with them.

Make nasi goring for supper with the left over roast beef and some of those brown eggs. One of Hubby's favourites...Here is the recipe I usually follow. (I use a little sriracha sauce instead of the terasi.)

Finish reading this book which I finally received as an ebook from the library.
                                      Cover art
 I reattached the walking foot to my newer Singer and am running quilting lines in the blue scrappy strings blocks.  I can work for about half an hour without aggravating that one muscle on the right side of my back.  My aim will be to have this all done this month, the quilting part I mean. That would be a good OMG for the Elm Street Quilts link up. I would love to have the baskets all hand quilted too but that is labour intensive slow stitching so I can't promise myself that.
Yes, that is the instruction manual there as I had to do a little machine maintenance adjusting the top thread tension. On this machine, that involves screw drivers, albeit, little ones. :)

 Louisa is the next block in the Book Club Hand Pieced QAL.  She features that pesky 8 points meeting in the middle thing which made her a tricky one. Here is one version; I intend to make another to work on that accuracy. Oh I should have snipped off her dog ears for her photo.
   I found this great video from Wendy's Quilts and More very helpful for dealing properly with these points.
I have an interesting group of projects on the go, some with challenges which is a good thing. I love them all and that never changes for me...as in I usually almost always love what I work on.  And that's what it's all about isn't it...spending our precious minutes, hours and days doing what we enjoy.

I was thrilled to have a little flock of American Gold Finches visit the bird feeders a few weeks ago. They are just starting to brighten up a little by the looks of it. The males will be such a beautiful lemon yellow in a short time. Taken through my kitchen window.
Hope all is well with you and please stay home as much as you possibly can.
Sharing this post with The Book Date, Paying Ready AttentionElm Street Quilts and Home Sewn By Us.

19 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we have the finches here a lot at the end of winter and early spring they are beautiful little birds. I will look to see if the library has the book you mention but I haven't been able to concentrate on reading very much lately. I have been getting back into a routine though with my quilts and will try to stick with one quilt at a time until I get done with the three that are closest to finish and then decide where to go from there.
We might got out soon to stock up more on groceries before it gets bad. We were going to order on line and pick up but evidentially so many are doing that that it is now hard to get a spot and sometimes have to wait for days. I tell hubby we have plenty and no need to run out this week - we could probably wait until next week easily - I might have to do a covid hair cut myself one day - have already trimmed the bangs.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Staying away from others sure is important and it's good you can get a little out n' about in too. Stay safe, healthy and virus-free.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's so sad when that horrible virus gets into a nursing home. One of the homes not too far from us has been on the news as being the hot spot in Canada right now - 9 deaths as of yesterday and most of the staff testing positive. Very frightening for everyone. God bless the caregivers who are doing their best under horrible circumstances. We can do our part by staying home and if we do need to go out practice the social distancing rules. I had to pick up groceries this morning for my 92 year old friend,otherwise I wouldn't be out.

Linda said...

Those scrappy blues look really good together. I hate to hear that about the nursing home. I think of how sad we would have been when my Granny was in one and looked forward to our visits. :( Thank you for the link to Wendy's blog. She is fun to listen to, and I found her video fascinating. She makes it all look so easy and makes so much sense, I found myself wanting to give hand piecing another try. I got very discouraged when I did the last one, I reached a point I just wanted to get it over with, and it was not my finest work.
Your walks sound so good. We live on 5 acres and have no reason not to walk, but lately we have been so tired from other things we just don't do it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so glad you have people nearby to help with groceries, but also a beautiful property to get outside, Jocelyn! My book club read Educated a few months ago - I thought Tara Westover was/is amazing to achieve what she has, but her parents' lifestyle is horrifying. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to grow up that way! I notice you're quilting your blue strings in groups of four - how will you attach them to each other to finish up the quilt? Have a wonderful day!

Julierose said...

Loving those blue scrappy string blocks--so neat..I am making wonky Courthouse steps...will put them onto muslin and add what I need to make them all the same size--as they are not now for sure...
Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! How scary that the virus hit the nursing home. Gosh, I hope those residents are all okay. I'm so glad you can just stay in and that your SIL can and will pick up groceries for you. Having projects to keep you interested and busy is key, along with being able to take walks each day. I can imagine Murphy would not understand if he couldn't go for a walk. Thanks so much for linking up this week and stay safe. ~smile~ Roseanne

Jenny said...

I always enjoy seeing your bird/nature photos, Jocelyn. So sad when the virus or any other illness for that matter, gets into the nursing homes. They are all elderly, of course, and most need full time care. We have one of the nursing homes infected further north too.
Take care won't you, keep stitching and cooking, it all helps to keep us safe!

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy quilting!
We have the grandies for the week.
We've had two cases in a local well-to-do retirement home. I'm sure they've traveled. argh.

Jocelyn said...

I guess we are all in the same boat. It is a bit scary, but keeping away will hopefully help the situation in the long run.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I so enjoy seeing the birds returning and the changes in their plumage .

Powell River Books said...

I read Educated a year or so ago. A very moving book. - Margy

Angie said...

Jocelyn - glad you are making choices to keep yourself safe. So many people do not have options to go outside, so we are immensely blessed in that regard. Enjoy your crafty projects - they all look lovely! Stay well!

loulee said...

Cute wee birdies.
And I love your blue scraps.

Eva H. said...

I also pulled out a sewing machine.Unfortunately, I don't know patchwork.I sewed face masks.When I was tired, my daughter took the machine.She also sewed. Our family has enough.It's a very sad time.
Jocelyn,I wish to you and family nice days.
Eva

MissPat said...

Just checking in to say hi and glad you are still doing well. Good that your SIL can get your groceries. I went grocery shopping yesterday for the first time in 10 days and it was a bit surreal. The shelves were better stocked and I got most of what I needed. I did have to ask the man in line behind me at the checkout to back up (twice) and he just looked at me like I was crazy, although he did finally move back. Ugh.
I got to spend 3 hours working in the garden on Sunday (near 70 degrees F) before a thunderstorm blew through with hail. Today it's sunny and 39 degrees.
Pat

Jennie in GA said...

Sounds like you have a plan. I have been doing some gardening, but overall, am having a bit of trouble concentrating.....strange for me. I find this whole situation a bit surreal. Please stay safe.

QuiltGranma said...

Thank you for that link to the video from NZ and hand piecing 8 pointed stars! Very helpful! Love your birdies!

Lynn said...

You are definitely doing the right thing staying home. We are in Western Australia where infections are relatively low. I have been home for 2 weeks other than groceries last Sunday. With your back, have you tried a rolled up towel behind you? My physio told me to do that and it helped a lot. Outdoor walks- best thing! Happy accomplishing things.