Sunday 29 March 2020

Free Patterns, Quilting From the Past, Embroidering Flowers

Week 3 of self- isolation and all's well.
 The season is striving to change. Raining heavily as I write but with all the freezing rain we get here, there are banks of hardened snow and ice that will resist.  We are still wearing our cleats as the trails, tramped down by us, are icy in patches.  That's the underfoot news. Above, we've been enjoying warmer temperatures for our walks, occasional sunny breaks that I insist we put our faces into. How good to be alive and feel the warmth out in the fresh air.

I have joined Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for her Pieces From the Past stitch along.  I was intrigued by her stories and being such a sentimentalist, love reading about the past and all the old things. This little block appealed to me so I downloaded her free pattern and set to work. The Lost  Goslin'. Another great one for me to machine stitch and practice preciseness.  More blocks to come and Thank You, Melva for generously sharing.
Being Sunday, old habits kick in and I have a beef roast thawed to make a cooked dinner- mashed potatoes and vegetables. I am going to try Rock Recipes recipe for Perfect Yorkshire Puddings to go with the gravy. That got Hubby's attention! I wonder will mine look like Barry's. He put a recipe for Peach Compote there too because popovers are not just for dinner.
                                Perfect Popovers on white plate for breakfast shown with orange juice and jam
I showed you my Year at Hawk Run Hollow cross stitch pattern I was hoping to begin. My fabric has yet to arrive (sigh) which is worrisome. I keep thinking I must check on it.  Meanwhile I've picked up an embroidery piece that really should be finished after making a small start two years ago. It is a downloadable pattern from Nancy Nicholson called Bouquet Sampler.
                             
And here is what I achieved so far. Thought I'd start with the leaves. The fabric I chose is not dark as this photo shows and has butterflies here and there which I thought appropriate for this flowery piece.

This is our day for the SAL party with these stitchers from all over the world and hosted by Avis at
Sewing Beside the Sea.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganDeborah, Mary MargaretRenee, CarmelaJocelynSharonDaisyAnneConnieAJJennyLauraCathieLinda

Thank you all for the kind remarks about my Pandemic hair do photo in the last post, It is definitely minimalist but I'm liking it.

Staying home means staying safe for now.  Make sure to heed whatever advice your country is providing. Some of the best medical minds in the world are leading this fight.
Happy to link this post with Kathy's Quilts and Love Laugh Quilt.





26 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry you are still having winter and ice too! that makes it hard to get out and get in a walk

loulee said...

How did the Yorkie puddings turn out.
Your embroidery looks pretty, it will be fun to see it grow.

Melva said...

So happy to have you as part of the sew along! Blessings,
MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

K Reeves said...

Dinner sounds great, as does the warming temps. Our embroidery project looks like a winner, I bet you enjoy it!

Annie Kingma said...

Hallo dank voor het schrijven op mijn blog.
Prachtig borduurwerk hier te zien. Ik zie dat er ook quilt blokken worden genaaid.
Koude winter nog bij u, hier is het wel lente, maar deze zondag nog erg koud.
Ook wij blijven binnen, en zijn voorzichtig.
Geen kinderen en kleinkinderen op de zondagse koffie tegenwoordig.
Pas goed op jullie zelf en blijf gezond.
Groetnis Annie

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

Your SAL project is very pretty :-) Good luck with the Yorkshire pudding. It's a firm favourite here too.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That roast beef sounds wonderful to us and I'm glad you are doing okay up there. Stay safe, healthy and virus-free.

Allie said...

Well first of all I LOVE your hairdo!!!! I'm a big fan of DIY haircuts....second, I adore all your projects you're working on. It's very good that you're keeping busy! We had heavy rain the last couple of days, and now have waterfront property again, it's been lovely watching the ducks and geese splashing down.
This self-isolation isn't too bad - wishing hubby didn't have to work, as things are so bad here - but wow do I miss my mom. I take her groceries but can't hug her!

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks to the link for the popovers, they look delicious! I'm working on Melva's Pieces from the Past too. I need to do this week's block though if it warms up in the kitchen. Currently my heat is out and I need a coat to work out there, where my sewing machine is set up. Love seeing how your stitchery is coming along!

CathieJ said...

You now have my mouth watering for Yorkshire Pudding. Shame on you...LOL. I only make it at Christmas. I like that little quilt square and your embroidery piece. Stay safe.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There is definitely something about getting out in the sun and fresh air that is appealing right now. We always walk every day, and I look forward to it so much! Your Pieces from the Past block is pretty - love the red! And that new embroidery bouquet is also very appealing - I may need to go look at that pattern. Enjoy your roast beef dinner, too. Comfort food!

Powell River Books said...

Talked to my sister on the phone last night. Caught her in the quilting room. I have a few activities to keep me occupied but wish I had something to do with my hands. I just ordered some watercolour paper online. Maybe I'll see if I can get some yarn to continue learning how to crochet. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

How wonderful to have hobbies!

Nancy J said...

Yorkshire puds, the best. Love the stitching pattern, leaves look great. I have started a short walk each afternoon, and today a well known fitness organisation will begin free classes on our TV. Twice a day, hope I can manage to join in, there are some for the younger kids, maybe my level!!! We do not drive anywhere, Hugh goes out on his mobility scooter, we wave to strangers as they walk past, yell to others across the street on my walk, I suggested to a friend she bring her coffee and sit in her car as I sit on our lawn, but that is classed as an unnecessary drive, we will see. It could be on the way home from her supermarket trip. I need to find some hand embroidery or stitching, we have 4 weeks lock down, but I think it will extend a LOT longer.

The Crafty Creek said...

We always have Yorkshire puds with a roast dinner, but then I'm in Yorkshire :-)Love the embroidery pattern, looks very pretty, looking forward to seeing this one grow.

PaintedThread said...

Yorkshire pudding - SO YUMMY! Hmm... I need to make some of that. I like the embroidery you're working on.

Kim said...

I must say your dinner sounds utterly delicious! I am salivating just at the thought of it. Your Pieces From the Past little block is pretty and as for the Bouquet Sampler, isn't it lovely. I can see you smiling whilst you stitch this pretty. Hope the spring sunshine melts all that ice soon and you will green, green grass underfoot.

Eva H. said...

Mňam,mňam-but I eat some bad.I must have a diet:)
Your handwork is very nice.
This is so sad to see a empty streets...
Greetings from Eva

Lin said...

Nice star block and that embroidery is a lovely one to work on - enjoy. xx

Linda said...

I just caught up on your posts and love your pandemic haircut! Mine is almost that short, but I love the color of yours.
Your cross stitch project looks really lovely. I hope your fabric arrives soon.

Gun said...

Yesterday we had spring and today we have winter. Cold wind from the north and it´s snowing. Your "new" project is great!

Laura said...

Lovely project! We are social distancing here too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmmm.....Yorkshire puddings. Oddly enough I don't care for gravy but when you add a Yorkie I'm there and loving every bite! I do love the idea of serving them as a dessert too. Must run that by the Resident Chef! I wonder if your fabric hasn't arrived because the store might be closed?

andy's colours said...

Yorkshire puds indeed! My Dad being a Yorkshireman, this is our absolute favourite. I didn't realize they were so widely known in the USA. Actually I have never heard of them as being called popovers. The popover recipes I know are a little different, but I do see the resemblance. And eaten for breakfast, by all means!
Good that you are keeping to yourselves, as difficult as it may be. But I find staying in contact via phone or e-mail is more frequently done now than before. Keep busy and stay sensible. Best wishes from Germany.
Andrea L.

andy's colours said...

Me again. Sorry, I meant Canada, of course! Was thinking of my daughter who was for an exchange year in the States.
Andrea

Renee said...

Yorkshire Pudding sounds delicious! I hope you enjoyed yours. Your haircut is fabulous! And your lovely stitching is off to a great start. I do love the butterfly fabric choice.