Monday 1 June 2020

Irises, June Gardening, Quiltmania Solidarity Blocks

                      Paintings, JESSIE WILLCOX SMITH (American, 1863-1935). Little Girl with
Irises, Good Housekeeping cover, June 1930. Oil on board. ...
(Total: 2 Items)

Little Girl with Irises by Jessie Wilcox Smith. You can read more about that wonderful artist HERE...interesting fact, she preferred to use photographs to work from.
My irises are blooming. The heat we had seemed to have forced them somehow and then scorched them.  I must have chosen a delicate iris because these barely bloom long enough to afford a photo or two.  But I do love them and I must admit they photograph well.
On this week's list of what to do is finish the planting, a flowering weigelia- I chose a proven, Sonic Boom, (love them for their hardiness) and a few coneflowers.  I've established the bridal wreath spirea near a spot bookending the front left flower bed. I was very happy with the one they chose for me at the garden center...large and healthy.
I have planted tomato plants in the back garden along the far fence.  Dandelions grow huge there and I knew the soil would be good. It involved using the pick axe nonetheless which I find hard work.  Wish me luck!

I've resumed my early morning jogs and my hope is to be able to continue them. I stay on the main trail and up and down our lane way. I'm a bit chicken to run on the other trails that have hidden roots and rocks. I have taken one full body fall on this property and was just so fortunate to not have hurt myself.  I want to capitalize on my present enthusiasm for this activity...a few minutes in the fresh air with birds singing, early sun or rising mists, a cool wind, all keeping me present in the moment and feeling very thankful for it- every single bit of it.

On the stitching front, I've begun the Solidarity blocks from Quiltmania and hope to keep making them.  Each is different which is a nice challenge.  The designers have all agreed on reds and pinks so I'll use those colours. Picking out the fabrics is fun. I hope to finish as many of these as I can this month...not going to put pressure on myself. But I'll set that as an OMG at Elm Street Quilts.
Block 1 by Sue Watters
Weird camera angle...these points are the same size!
Block 10 by Emma Newman.  A little EPP which is fun.
So happy to have this fellow pay us a visit and check out the hostas no doubt. There is one they chew down to the ground regularly.  But there are so many here you would hardly notice.
I listened to this BBC podcast interview with Anne Cleeves, the author of Vera, Shetland and so many other books that have made it to film.  Here she is talking about her new series, Two Rivers.
I like her face framing short hairdo, like Judi Dench.

Happy June all!
So happy too to share this post with Home Sewn By Us .











17 comments :

Julierose said...

Thanks so much for the link to the Ann Cleeves video--she is one of my favorite authors; I haven't begun the Two Rivers series as yet...have you read any of them yet?
Very pretty red-ish fabric on that star block...I mad ethe backing for my 4th of July Baskets quilt this morning using some leftover layer cakes...
so after that I have a migraine starting--some days the pollen will do that to me if I get too intense and do any close work...
We still have water--but they are digging another trench out front!! Oh me!!;000
Stay safe on your jogs Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

jogging! wow you are doing better than me - I haven't fun in years my knees won't cooperate for that but I do get in good walks when my feet aren't bothering me too much they seem to be worse then the knees!
love iris's and mine are done for some time now. Went to Lowe's this morning for potting soil - I must move the tomato plants to bigger pots these will topple over if I don't

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your iris are beautiful, Jocelyn! I've never grown any, but they are around the neighborhood and I love seeing them. They definitely don't last long, though. So glad you're getting out for exercise, making beautiful quilt blocks, and seeing wildlife - those are some of my favorite things, too!

PaintedThread said...

Your iris is beautiful. I planted some tomatoes, too. I suspect our soil is very poor - we'll see how things do. I eyeballed the pick axe that was left behind. I didn't use it this time, but good to know I would be in good company!

I didn't know Cleeves wrote both Shetland AND Vera. She's awesome!

Libby in TN said...

Iris is the Tennessee state flower and we have had some beauties this year. I worry about you jogging on trails with roots and who-knows-what. Please be careful.

Jenny said...

Did you write jogging? Goodness me do be careful of your knees and tripping yourself up.
Thanks for the link about the new Anne Cleeves book, I love both Vera and Shetland series. The author made me laugh when she started that vera is not at all sensitive! I often cringe when I watch how she relates to her staff. The deer photo is lovely, guess they do damage to the garden though.

Brian's Home Blog said...

We really love your irises and that's such a cute deer!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

A pick axe? Wow. Enjoy that jogging in such a beautiful environment. That Good Housekeeping photo is a sweet reminder of simpler times. Love your iris-so vibrant.

MissPat said...

Are those Siberian iris or German bearded? I have both in bloom right now and you are right, they just don't last long enough. I'm not familiar with that author. Will need to check her out. I've been in a bit of a funk with all that's going on with the virus and the protests and the looting. Seems like there is no end to the troubles in our world.
Pat

Yvonne said...

I love watching Vera and the Shetlands. Never know the face behind those great detectives.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ooh, we've bought the Vera and Shetland DVDs. I really enjoy them. Good for you for jogging. I used to be able to.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, that deer is so close to you I feel like I could touch him. Doesn't it just feel glorious to be outside so early in the morning? Just you and the birds and other wildlife - I love to listen to all the busyness of them all. Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Eva H. said...

Iris is a orchid of North countries :)
Have a nice day :)

Angie said...

Jocelyn - gorgeous iris! Good luck with your running. I am usually running outside by now, but this is tick season, so I am holding off for now. That deer looks pretty skinny - you are tolerant to let it eat your hostas! I am often tempted to try a hairstyle like that of Judi Dench, but I am a chicken! Enjoy the rest of your week!

LA Paylor said...

jogging, swinging a pick ax? Who are you!!?? lol
oh, sewing... whew, there you are! Pretty. I like Ann Cleeves writing and shows.. how nice she has a new one for us. Your iris photo is astounding, showing such detail, to entice a painter to get out the paints. The little deer... oh how touching. They look so fragile with those skinny legs and knees but they are resillient too a good reminder for us, right?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Jogging? Wow. Just wow. That's too much like work for me. My knees would be screaming if I were to try it. Glad you were able to get a nice spirea - you won't regret it and the bees will love it.

Patty said...

Lovely colors. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.