Thursday 25 June 2020

American Goldfinch, Wildflowers, Pieces From the Past SAL, Solidarity Blocks and Cake Too

Happy Thursday!
I captured this little American Goldfinch looking at me as I photographed him from the dining room window.  He stared at me quite a while and I worried he was seeing his own reflection and would start  dive bombing it like the crazy robin did. This is their mating time I understand. But no, he soon hurried off with other very important things on his mind, no doubt.
Our bird bath has been a success and I hope to show photos soon of the robins lining up to take a turn. That's been a lot of fun to watch.

I'm photographing the wild flowers on the property with the intention of keeping a record. Here is Birdfoot Trefoil.
And one of the hawkweeds.  If you know which, please let me know.

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps released another block in her free Pieces From the Past SAL, the Modern Broken Dish pattern.  Kudos to Melva for hosting and also for writing such wonderful posts about her family's history. 
I gave it a try this week and was pleased with how it came together for me.  I made four of the center 9 patch design before adding the outer parts to two of them.  I think these blocks can be added to the Quilt Bible line up as the fabrics I'm using are similarly reproduction style.  The photo doesn't show the pretty pinks of that lighter colour.
I also finished Gina Gregory's pretty appliqued block in the Solidarity set. 
I'm enjoying this series of open lectures from Yale University on the modern poets.  I was interested in the professor's lecture on Frost.  It's always interesting to me what gets omitted in these talks. Perhaps kindly people just don't want to talk about less kind things which is understandable.  

We enjoyed this British series available free through CBC's Gem The White House Farm Murders. Based on a true story and a real whodunit. 
                                    CBC Gem - Featured
I made my Orange Crunch Cake and I will tell you what went right about it next time as well as what went a wee bit wrong.
Here's a sneak peak and I'm blaming humidity. 😉
 Hubby is off on his Ryker for his weekly ride and Murphy and I are going down to the pond with my camera.  Another large bird has been sighted there the last two mornings. Hope to catch a glimpse myself.
And hope all is well with you. 

 




36 comments :

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Love your flower block, so cheerful. The flowers are beautiful..I'll be looking for this tv series...looks like it would be a good one. Even though there are boos boos in a cake, I be it was good. Have a great day!

LA Paylor said...

I pulled my self together, (last week was not a good emotional week for me) and thought I read today's post but it must have been last week's... sad about that cake (melted in the rain) but I'm still going to go check out the recipe because we just don't mind an ugly sweet cake!LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those wildflowers are beautiful, Jocelyn! I always enjoy your photos of the plants and animals on your property - such a lovely place. The appliqued block you've completed is so pretty. You make me want to try that again! I hope your cake is tasty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the flowers but don't remember ever having seen either of them. I love cake no matter how it turns out - I don't think there is a cake I don't like lol.
Your applique block turned out perfect!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such wonderful photos. The sweet bird and the flowers are really pretty!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful captures of these flowers.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photos once again. You have a knack with doing close-up photography. The cake may not look the way you'd like but I'm betting it made up for it in taste!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh the gold finch is awesome. Great photos of the flowers. Love your applique piece. The cake looks yummy.

PaintedThread said...

I love goldfinches. I saw a pair of males battling the other day - the aerial display was impressive! We have those pretty little orange wildflowers here, too. Love them. Your cake looks a little wonky... but as long as it tastes good, it doesn't matter! :-)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I’m just amazed with your photography! That cake looks delish.

Elizabeth said...

The goldfinch in our yard is perching on the bee balm flower head and pecking at the seeds! The flower head then bends over but they haven't broken off. So now we have a patch of bee balm that is pretty much blooming upside down...sigh...

My sister-in-law and I both had "fails" in baking this week. Threw us both for a loop as we both tend to know what we are doing in the kitchen.A joint decision was made to blame it on the weather.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love seeing your flowers! That Birdfoot Trefoil is spectacular!!! Your blocks are gorgeous and as always, I amazed at how much applique you are getting done! Your cake looks yummy! I love your beautiful finch!!! Have a great week Jocelyn!

MissPat said...

We used to have lots of goldfinches, but I don't think I've seen any in several years. I gave up putting out the finch feeder because of the squirrels, so I guess they left for a better restaurant. I love your flower photos. I would say looks aren't everything when it comes to cake. It's the taste that really matters.
Pat

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! What lovely photos you've shared in your post. The pops of yellow and red from our birdie friends are surely welcome. I've been thinking about adding a birdbath to my garden . . . until I had the bird invade my bathroom vent. I'm not feeling all that friendly toward birds right now. I hope you and Murphy enjoy the time at the pond! ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love your sweet applique block--so pretty! I've had a cake turn out exactly like yours--good thing it tasted much better than it looked!

Michelle Ridgway said...

That little bird is so sweet. Amazing he didn't startle and fly away. Lovely work on your blocks. I have been wondering about that series....may give it a go...Thank you x

riitta k said...

The American Goldfinch looks splendid and is tone in tone with your brilliant flowers. Thank you for linking, enjoy your weekend.

betty-NZ said...

All your photos are fantastic to see. The bird is a definitely eye-catcher and your quilt pieces are so beautiful! Hopefully, the British series will find its way to New Zealand soon!

I'm glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You take such gorgeous pictures of the birds and flowers. I love seeing them. Your applique block is beautiful! Such pretty colors too! I would still eat that cake! Sounds yummy!

Out To Pasture said...

Just finished watching the White House Farm Murders on Gem. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the tip! Superb acting on a real crime story. Hard to imagine what a cold blooded killer he was.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Love these wildflowers and birds!

Veronica Lee said...

Such incredibly beautiful photos! The flowers are really pretty!

Michelle said...

I love watching Goldfinches. I feed them with a Thistle sock as they don't seem to like when I fee them seeds any other way! lol Thanks for linking up.

Nancy said...

You have some beautiful flowers growing on your property!
I love your red and pink blocks. I know you say the color isn't quite right but I can tell that they work well together. Some reds and pinks clash horribly, but not these.
I really like you Solidarity applique blocks. It is gorgeous!

QuiltGranma said...

That pink fabric is delicious, does it have a bit of paisley in it? (i love paisley fabrics!)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your cake looks yummy. I made a one-layer chocolate cake yesterday. Thank goodness the Husband has more willpower than me. I would've been okay with eating it all up in one sitting. Oink, oink me. Your yellows in the bird and flowers are brilliantly happy. I like those kind of colors. :-)

junieper/jesh said...

Your life is enriched by watching the bird bath:) How fun! Beautiful stitch work of the flowers! Don't worry about the orange cake - we can't have it perfect each time, lol! Am going to look at the recipe - and many thanks for leaving the link for All Seasons! Have an adventurous week, Jesh

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful photos, this little bird is pretty. Love your appliqué block too!

Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.