Thursday 11 June 2020

Gardening Workout, Pink and Red Applique, Quilty Mail

I'm working on the new Blogger platform- fingers crossed this works out. 
 I've now planted the few new flowers and two new bushes and also transplanted a number of things.  I've still got to move this Bleeding Heart plant that is blooming prettily though mostly shaded behind the back deck wall and completely out of sight. I'll look it up if autumn would be a good time for that.
 Perhaps the other trees were not so tall when it was planted there.
  In between the garden stuff, I've been getting the pool ready. We heat it with a special wood stove and it is my job to run the stove till the water temperature is okay. Usually three days gets it done and if the summer temperatures stay high, it will only need to be used once or twice more. Also I've swept the back stone walkways...with all the fir trees there is a carpet of needles after the fall and winter. Again a once a spring time thing.  Yes I'm still busy outside which is good for me. 
A small but vibrant patch of primrose also hidden in the back yard. Again as with the irises, the blooms fade quickly. I think I lived here two years before I discovered these.
These chores have definitely eaten into stitching time. However, my two figure skaters have their heads.  I hope to finish this February block this weekend.  March is a lion so that should be fun to stitch.  ( I sometimes  run extra lines of thread to keep me on track and it makes the counting easier. ) 
I'm happy to finally finish these two blocks of the Solidarity SAL. How out of shape am I that my arms are tired in the evenings!
 I used EPP with freezer paper templates.

 I spent a couple of hours veranda stitching last weekend which was so enjoyable. Summer has begun with lots of sunny days so far.  And lower humidity for just now. Murphy is not nearly as excitable and actually rested nicely with me out there. Even the red squirrels running about didn't interest her. What a great place to keep an eye on the birds.
I just made a cup of this Twinings Honeybush, Mandarin and Orange tea...with a tiny bit of honey, it is wonderful especially if you like an orange flavour.
I received an order from the Missouri Star Quilt Company, a fat quarter bundle of French General's Le Beau Papillon.  Their service was marvelous. I couldn't resist the sale.  Are these prints that would appeal to you?
Le Beau Papillon by French General  38 x Fat 8ths Bundle image 0

 And I liked their message to their Canadian buyers.  

Canadian Rates
For our friends north of the border, we'll keep it simple, eh'. You get $10 flat rate shipping on all orders! Packages are shipped via FedEx's International Economy option and delivered within 2-6 days, depending on proximity to the US Border. So, grab your favourite (yeah, that's right, we spelled favourite the Canadian way) Tim Horton's beverage or bowl of poutine, and kick back and relax while you order 'til your heart's content.
I'm grateful today, as always, to be feeling well in body and mind.   

32 comments :

photowannabe said...

Beautiful handwork and I love the photo of you enjoying your lush yard and a yummy cup of tea.
Sue

Julierose said...

I love the French General fabric you ordered--nice choice...and your hand work looks lovely...
How are you finding the new blogger? I have heard a lot about it--not all good...
Hugs, stay safe Julierose

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Very nice stitching! I am impressed, I haven't done hand stitching in a long time. I like the French General fabric too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Look at that beautiful view you have from the porch to the yard - so green! Thanks for sharing that, Jocelyn! The tea sounds delicious, too. I may have to look for that at the grocery store. I always love to get a peek at what you're stitching on, and so glad the skaters have their heads on straight! :) That red and pink applique is sure pretty and, yes, I like your French General buy, too! Always fun to have new fabric!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Your handwork is lovely. I do like that fabric too and a $10 shipping charge to Canada is very tempting.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your flowers and your yard are beautiful and your stitching art always is!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That primrose is beautiful .

Jenny said...

There is nothing nicer than relaxing on your verandah, stitching away and with a cuppa!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! It looks like your post came through just fine. It looks a bit different than it has in the past but that's okay! The pictures came through just fine. I didn't know you had a pool! Your backyard is beautiful and that bleeding heart plant look extremely happy right where it is. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a lovely view you have sipping your tea and stitching - love all your plants that you have and nice that you have a pool I don't think you ever mentioned that - I don't swim and not a water person but I know a lot that love them. Missouri Star is wonderful place to visit in person - I loved it when I got to see them a couple years ago going building to building throughout the little town

Lynn said...

Primroses, a lovely spot to sit, cup of tea and gorgeous applique - it doesn't get much better really!

PaintedThread said...

Those primroses are pretty! What a lovely spot to hang out and quilt.

piecefulwendy said...

If I had a view like that, I'd be out there as often as I could. You have some lovely projects in the works!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your gardening photos! We've had primroses here but they fade with time--you are so lucky to have found that one! I have bleeding hearts and they don't mind full shade at all. I love the needlepoint you are working on! So very sweet! Your sew along looks fantastic! Take care and keep well!

Nana said...

Those prints are lovely and I would want all of it too.

Nana

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your primroses look so pretty and you have such a nice view from your porch. I have some of that tea in my cupboard too - it's a favourite. Nice to know that Missouri Star Quilt Company will ship to Canada - so many places flatly refuse to ship to us (I guess they think we have BO or something). Beautiful fabrics - wonder what you'll make with them.

Libby in TN said...

Your garden is lovely! I love all things French General, especially the reds/tans. I may have to look for some when I get away to East TN next week.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Thanks for stopping by my place...happy belated birthday to your son...they do seem to grow up fast..I can still remember my son as a baby. Love all your flowers, so pretty. Your quilting projects are really pretty...and love your new fabric...have a great day!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great work in the yard. I have been working on it slowly. Today was the pool. I love your applique, and your new fabric is gorgeous.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely and peaceful place to relax and sew!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

OK Jocelyn, you tempted me and I did it. Ordered the bundle! I love French General. Your view from your chair is so inviting! Love the Cross Stitch and other projects! Enjoy the low humidity. We have had some low for 4 days but I am sure it will come back! Cannot believe that we are almost into Summer Solstice and summer months will fly by!

Looks like the new Blogger software is working well for you!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

How cool that you discovered the primroses 2 years later? Who know what other surprises you'll come across. Your world of green looks so wonderful. Our world turned golden brown early this year. Happy sewing with your lovely fat quarters. :-)

loulee said...

Looks like a lovely spot to sit and stitch.
I just used a mini charm pack of that same fabric collection to make a cute wee table runner.

Deb A said...

What a beautiful spot you have to sit and stitch. I am jealous.... love your pink blocks and what a pretty line of fabrics.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful flowers and spot to sit and stitch. And what great projects you are working on! I too have been working in the garden. It is too hot here to sit outside much. Love those fabrics.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a cute message from MSC to Canadians!
Love the applique block... enjoy your hand stitching outdoors!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm in love with your yard!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

You truly are blessed with such a beautiful view from your back porch! The fabrics are gorgeous any project in mind?

Angela said...

Your garden looks like a delightful place to stitch!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I really love the fat quarter bundle you bought. Do you have plans for it? I buy fabric just because I love the colors. I figure I'll decide what to do with it later on! Love the projects you're working on. I always use freezer paper for my applique.

Bonnie said...

Lovely garden and yea for low humidity. We've been enjoying lunches on our deck as the weather has been nice and low humidity too. Isn't it nice to make progress on SAL and other projects?

QuiltGranma said...

Ah, peaceful times spent on the porch, cherish those!