Tuesday 6 September 2022

Three Thrift Store Finds, What Wanda Said, Embroidery for Christmas

Chicory is in bloom along the country road sides. It is a true late summer sight here in Ontario. I love the blooms and their unique shade of blue. Blue always seems like a special colour when found in flowers.

And I was happy to welcome bluebirds at the birdbath and the feeder all summer long. Here is a small one about to take a dip.
I got to go thrifting with Daughter last month and it was another great outing. It was a Tuesday so seniors get 20% off that day. I always challenge myself to see what I can find for $20.  Here are three of my finds that met my mark. 

This quilted bag is very large and beautiful with its bright red and green prints. It is also reversible and in perfect condition. Several people commented on it including the check out lady. $5.98

This new with tags tea cosy with the bright chicken on it and ripe corn speaks of autumn. I liked that it was extra large and could cover most of our large coffee turned tea pot. The tag said $4.99 and it was priced $1.99.

I was very interested in this necklace below...the tag said Kazuri and I loved how heavy the stones felt and the pretty designs. The turquoise and pale greens were so pretty together, not to mention the designs. $3.99 and when I looked it up I found out this was made in Kenya. Kazuri means small and beautiful in Swahili. Retails for over $50, made by women. I was delighted this came home with me. 

Thrift store shopping is so carefree and perfect recycling with the added fun of feeling like a treasure hunt.  Though prices have risen, things can still be found for a real bargain. 

✅From Wanda at Exuberant Color comes a point I second...she says she would much rather her scrap bag be in her estate sale than her yardage. So cut into that yardage!

I'm feeling a little tired which I will explain in Thursday's post. My TO Do list this week was and is to take care of Hubby.  In terms of stitching, I've been embroidering more of the Moda Holiday Stitchalong blocks that I started last year. I need time to warm up my running stitch I noticed. That's new. These patterns are still available HERE. Still to be discovered: how to incorporate these into a quilty project.

Nanette, A Passionate Quilter, has been embroidering these as well. 
Another one or two of these will be worked on during quiet times. 
Hope you find some quiet time this week to do what makes you happy too!
So happy to share this post with Linda's linky party at Texas Quilt GalKathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsTraffic Jam Weekend and Floral Friday Foto.





19 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Most importantly, I hope your DH is okay and I'm sending him good wishes.
Chicory is one of my favourite wild flowers, mainly because they're blue I suspect. Great finds at the thriftie - how I miss the thrill of the chase, but I've only been thrifting once since covid hit. We don't need anything so I haven't been going but also because our favourite store is in Toronto and we simply aren't driving there any longer.

Ann said...

We have coffee with chicory but I've never seen the plant. How lovely. Thrifting sounds like a good day with your daughter.

Jennifer said...

Well done on the thrifting.....a popular activity here, too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That chicory is pretty! I don't think I've ever seen that before. Love your thrifting finds - you're good at that! I had forgotten about those pretty holiday embroidery designs - enjoy that stitching!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Looks like you found some goodies. That bluebird sure is pretty!

Out To Pasture said...

Love your masthead of the pumpkin needle art, Jocelyn. Also all the bargain treasures from your thrift store. I have to pinch myself to drive past the roadside's lovely blue chicory flowers. They would make lovely bouquet additions.

PaintedThread said...

Pretty blues and baubles!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh that necklace! and those blue flowers. I would love to find a necklace like that and I rarely wear jewelry other than my wedding band.
Wanda always gives the best advice :) I rarely go thrifting - but that is because the local stores are not good for it. I have found in larger population areas though that you can find good things.

Jackie said...

Oh my I love your new header. Perfect for autumn.

You really got some great deals when you were thrifting and your embroidery is beautiful.

God bless.

CathieJ said...

I have never been much of a thrift store shopper. I tend to donate a lot. I really like your necklace find. It is beautiful. Your embroidery is very pretty.

Susie H said...

Great thrifty finds, especially that beautiful necklace. I hope by now your hubby is doing better and is on the mend. I downloaded all the embroidery blocks. They are sure pretty and I can always use an extra handwork project. Thanks! Remember to take of yourself too.

Jenn Jilks said...

Our granddaughter found some good new clothes at a thrift store last week!

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry to read that your hubby is unwell? That's no good at all. Pleased you found some thrifty bargains, it's not something I have really go into, a.though there are several thrift shops, (Op shops) in our town. I do like your new Autumn header I should make a new one or two and change them more often.

Anonymous said...

I need to start on my next Moda Holiday Xmas block…. I do hope that you husband is OK. Love the pictures and all the finds you found at the Thrift Store. Keeping you in my thoughts. Hugs

Linda said...

Hoping your hubby is OK. Gosh those are lovely finds - I love thrifting so much! One year I found some yellow blooms and some periwinkle blue blooms at Lowe's and put them in a pot together - favorite planting ever! Have I been able to find that blue bloom since? Um, no.
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Deb A said...

Hope both you and hubby are ok. It is tiring and stressful when you are taking care of someone. Those blue flowers are beautiful and you found some great items thrifting. Your stitchery is lovely as well.

Arish said...

Estupendas compras y un bello bordado. BESICOS.

Anonymous said...

I hope your husband is feeling better soon. Your embroidery is lovely. I love chicory flowers too but they do remind us that colder weather is on its way! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I sure thought I posted a comment. Love the Bird, and I need to go shopping with your sometime - LOL. Great bargains. I have been working on Applique and guess I had better start on that Xmas embroidery soon! Hugs (still catching up). Still not getting your post I have signed up with Feedly and with follow.it. Will see!