Tuesday 13 September 2022

Best Birthday Gift, Garden Pinks, Tinned Fruit Talk, Hand Quilting Challenge, Majesty Adieu

Another week and September is moving along. Early morning walks in noticeably cooler temperatures.  Darkness also closing in earlier in the evenings. I don't mind this and Ned says he loves it. I too love the changing of the seasons.

Autumn brings pinks and mauves to the garden...hardy sedum bearing heavy blooms these days.

A visitor snapped through the old sewing room screened window. Hydrangeas touched by colder temperatures turning pinkish.
And another taller variety of sedum...
I buy a lot of fresh fruit which I enjoy but it is quite expensive. I also rarely buy mango or pineapple. Apparently the nutritional content in tinned fruit is good. From one of my favourite online reads, The Guardian, comes this article... Tinned Can Fruit Recipes. I did notice one day at the store that fruit mixtures are changing and I bought several of these that contain added chia seeds. I found them sweet but this will do well during the winter when fresh fruit is not the best quality here. From Delmonte


 I promised to show you my best birthday present. Warning...these are dorky! They are Swedish BungyPump Walking Poles. I came across them online and was intrigued by their promise of giving an upper body workout as you walk and they do! The ends of the poles compress with a resistance of almost 9 pounds each time you press them into the ground. 
My arms are weak so I really like the idea of improving their strength. Here is a link if you'd like to read about them yourself. Someone asked: Yes, I'm still  using my Cubii just about every night...if I've been swimming and out and about on my feet a lot I skip it but that's the only time. 

I'm working steadily on my Karnak Hanging.  I hope to have it all quilted this week and be ready to make binding decisions.  It was a challenge to keep these quilting lines as straight as possible. With that in mind, I had to move to our dining table to lay it out and keep it all nice and flat while stitching. This has worked well and I'm happier with the stitches.

I have been adding stitches to my Jack Rabbit too.  I just love this green.  It is DMC 3347. It would be nice if I have everything stitched except for the part I need more floss for. A Try To Do this week.
I am very saddened by Her Majesty's death. As part of the Commonwealth of Nations, all of Canada is mourning her loss. I admire her determination and stamina...she was working up to two days before her death...at age 96, when doctors say she would have been in pain. I think if she had a motto it was One foot in front of the other. It is all inspiring to me.
She warranted her own post written by me back in 2016 when she was photographed by the famous Annie Leibowitz.  I've added it to the side bar for you to take a read if you like. Aged 90 here with the youngest grandchildren and her great grandchildren.
We have more rainfall warnings for today while so much of the world is experiencing drought. If only we could share it around. August was our wettest recorded since 1893!



13 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is sad about the queen for sure and I have shed a tear or two listening to some of the news stories even if she was not our queen I always enjoyed watching things about her for some reason.
I will check out those sticks it looks interesting. I buy some 'tinned' fruit as you do I like fruit but I mostly stick to frozen for a good part of the year.

Susie H said...

I think the world is mourning over the loss of Queen Elizabeth. She embodied so much dignity & grace. Your bungee canes are interesting ... to say the least. Haha! But I'm happy to hear that you are trying to keep up your strength. I should probably look into them also but I think they'd be difficult while managing a leash at the same time. Beautiful garden pics!

Nancy J said...

Her last almost formal photograph, with Liz Truss, the Queen in maybe her favourite Balmoral clothes, skirt and cardigan. Why, oh why, does anyone query who will look after her dogs? Andrew and Sarah, it says, will look after two of them ? But every news article has different views. I so admire her stamina, she must surely have had days when she was tired, and at the end, in pain , not letting any of that show. Now to be in Edinburgh, a maybe 15 hour wait, and some standing overnight. Love your rabbit coming along nicely, and pump walking poles, what a grand idea.

Libby in TN said...

Our weather is cooling down, as well. It was 50F this morning and only now up to 70F after noon. My sedum hasn't started blooming yet.

Out To Pasture said...

The shade of green on your floss is a favourite of mine as well. Also missing our dear Queen Elizabeth and yet feel like celebrating her long and stalwart life. What a little cutie holding her purse in the photo with her grandchildren.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers are so pretty! I've never seen walking poles like that before, they're most interesting.

Jenny said...

Yes, it is sad about the passing of the Queen. Now we are getting to watch all the ceremonies and pageantry as she is farewelled - no one does pomp and ceremony like the Brits. I hope your walking poles are working well for you. The temps are changing here too, slowly getting a little warmer, then back to rain again. Spring can be very fickle here in New Zealand.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - the mauve colors in your garden are gorgeous. I use trekking poles to relieve pressure on my knees - I wonder if these ones with resistance would provide an upper body workout while still protecting the knees? We are mourning the Queen as well since my husband is originally from the UK - I do think she led a good life and leaves big shoes to fill. And please do figure out a way to send some of that extra rainfall to us - dry as a bone here.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Tuesday, Jocelyn. September is moving right along that is for sure. Happy Birthday to you. The walking poles sound like a great way to build up your strength in your arms as you walk. DMC 3347 is one of my favorite greens as well. I hope you enjoy your stitch . Have a great week.

Juliana said...

I always enjoy your blog postings so much.
Since you are writing about the Queen and how much we all admired her and were amazed by her, I wanted to share two novels that have Queen Elizabeth as the center of their stories. I really loved The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. The Queen 'becomes' a reader, and it's delightful. I'm now reading The Windsor Knot by S. J. Bennett (no relation to Alan as far as I know.) This is a mystery set at Windsor Castle with the Queen as a royal 'Miss Marple' (my comparison). You might enjoy these rather quirky stories.

Linda said...

I've been very distracted by all the news surrounding the death of the Queen, and the BBC has been a steady source of information. I admired her so much, and she will be missed. I enjoyed reading your piece about the Queen's photo in Vanity Fair.
Those bungy walking poles are neat! Your Karnak hanging quilting looks so neat, and I love your cross stitch. Yes, please do share your rain!
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Hmmm those poles look interesting!!!
and right - the darker mornings and darken nights feel different.....
Good luck on your Karnak Hanging!!!

K Reeves said...

Happy birthday late! Your poles are very interesting, looking forward to your review once you have used them for awhile.