Thursday 1 September 2022

Three Free Patterns, Bluebird Nostalgia, Birthday Cake, Karnak Colour Play

 I can make myself feel nostalgic with very little prompting. For instance, listening to Mandy Patinkin singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" always makes me feel a little sentimental. What a beautiful pure tenor voice he has!

It was my birthday last week and I marked another year gone by so quickly I hardly had time to blink. Thank goodness for this blog so I can at least look back and see how a goodly portion of my time was well spent.
 Daughter made me a birthday cake. 
It was white with lemon curd and she decorated it to look like embroidery, a nod to one of my hobbies. I thought it beautiful and very special.💕
I've got my colour play Karnak hanging all sewn together and layered up for quilting. I had to take it outside to get good photos of the colours.
My indoor photos weren't doing the colours justice. The yellow on either end strip is a wonderful warm gold with matching colours in the two  prints either side of it. 

I chose a black polka dot print for the back.
I have a few lines of hand quilting laid down. 
It's a struggle to keep it straight as I used a batting that is a little bit bumpy with bits of something kind of hard in it. ??? I discovered this too late to turn back.  I really must pay attention to batting for hand stitching. Interestingly, the very cheap stuff  I often use for wall hangings doesn't have that problem. I'm using yellow perle cotton and my hera marker to make the lines. 
To get this one all finished and ready to give away will be my September OMG at Elm Street Quilts

LeeAnna Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was to think back to school start up in September and what things did we love to get.  Besides loving the brand new box of crayons I always got, I also got a new cardigan to wear with my uniform. The year I started grade 5 I got to pick it out myself and I chose a red one with green trees stitched around the tail. (Liked the look of embroidery even then I guess). At school one of the boys to poke fun said, you look like a Christmas tree and I was pleased, not hurt at all because I figured a Christmas tree was just about the most beautiful thing I could think of. (Those were the days when boys were named ie/y names like Billy, Davy, Jimmy, Kenny- all of whom were in my class). 
A silly kind of memory that has stuck with me because it was probably the last time I dared to wear anything that made me stand out and for many decades later on, I would absolutely never ever wear red except maybe at Christmas time. 

Three Free on a Thursday

 Two of today's wonderful free files come from the ultra talented Sandy Gervais at Pieces From My Heart. The first is her Follow the Bluebird Block that I've had in my list for over a year. She offers the pattern three ways- applique,  pieced and paper pieced. 
Here is Amy Smart's version as a mini quilt. To read her discussion about quilting it you can check out her post Here at Diary of a Quilter.
 Light blue is the colour for the September RSC and a bluebird fits right in. In fact this could be a great RSC project featuring birds in all the monthly colours. Riley Blake Designs  And number 2-Sandy also offers the free patterns for this Fall Ya'All small quilt with the bird there in the bottom corner. 

Jeannette Douglas is running a free 2022 monthly Mini Bouquet Sampler to cross stitch. Available the first of each month.  Many folks are stitching these as pin keeps/cushions as well as a sampler.  They are so pretty and Jeannette is also offering the border design for the sampler as a free pdf. Go take a peek. Again this photo is not doing these justice as they are individually gorgeous.

Sunny and cool today, 9C when I got up this morning. Warming up later and more rolling rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for late afternoon. That has been a theme this summer. 
To all reading this, I hope you are daring to dream, that the clouds are all behind you and all your troubles are melting like lemon drops!







35 comments :

Floor said...

Happy birthday to you last week.
What a unique cake your daughter has made, like a piece of embroidery indeed.
Now enjoy quilting on your nice quilt.
Greetings,
Floor

Nancy J said...

Love the cross stitch pattern, not for me, but. others will really enjoy this.Your gold fabrics are a delight. Guess what, we are in the Hawkes Bay, here till Sunday, SO warm, did some shopping, a great selection.Will email the choice. XXX

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you do not mention what brand of batting you use but I thought seeing as I hand quilt too I would mention that I use Tuscany cotton or cotton/wool blend and never have a problem I have also use Quilters Dream a lot and that one lays very flat also with no lumps.
Lovely cake your daughter is so talented at cakes isn't she

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday, Jocelyn! What a pretty cake! Sounds yummy, too. Your Karnak wall-hanging is so pretty. I, too, have trouble photographing a lot of colors accurately indoors. I love the little bird block - I might have to make one of those! Love your story of the sweater you picked out, too. Kids did/do love to find ways to make fun of our clothing choices - and those things stick with you, don't they? I bet it was a very pretty sweater!

Jenn Jilks said...

More happy birthday!
Love the cake.
Lovely work.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Happy Birthday! Your cake looks very professional. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looked! It's tough to find a nice batting. I bought one that was soft but fell apart too easily. My favorite is Quilter's Dream and Warm & Natural. The other brands all disappoint me. Your Karnak wall hanging is gorgeous. Great fabrics! Thanks for the free patterns!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a wonderful tune. That cake sure is pretty and so are your quilts.

Lorraine said...

Happy Birthday! What a clever and thoughtfully designed cake! I love the colors in your quilt. That yellow is especially nice and I'm usually not a fan of yellow. I can picture that cardigan you described - what a wonderful memory.

Susie H said...

What a fun quilt to be working on. I love that you are using lemon yellow thread! Bright, sunny, & cheerful. I love the idea of the bird blocks for RSC 2023. May just do that ... hopefully with you! The cross stitch bouquet pattern is gorgeous. I saved it for another day maybe. I was happy to see that In Stitches was mentioned as a store to get supplies. That one is really close to my daughter. If I decide to do this one, I'll stop in for supplies there. It's a wonderful shop!

Jackie said...

I would not have believed that Mandy Patinkin could sing that well as well as being such a great actor.

Love your birthday cake so well done. Your quilt looks awesome.

God bless.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy belated birthday Jocelyn! Lovely cake! Your sweater story made me smile :) Love the idea of the bluebird block used for the RSC challenge Jocelyn! Thank you again for sharing the free patterns! Have a safe and happy weekend!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Happy birthday, Jocelyn! Such a beautiful cake!!! It definitely looks like needlework!!! Your quilt project is such cheerful colors!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Happy Birthday and so sweet of your daughter to make the beautiful cake! Thanks for the freebies...always fun to know about. Have fun with the quilting on your quilt...it's stunning!

LA Paylor said...

happy birthday month... and what a terrific cake. Your daughter is so good at cakes. Love the red sweater story... you should wear red more often, it's got to look good with your coloring and standing out is a good thing. little boys often pick on the girls they want to notice them.

PaintedThread said...

Of course your daughter made cake! And what a pretty cake it is. Happy birthday! I really like your Karnak. The bouquet cross stitch is pretty.

Deb A said...

Happy belated birthday and love your beautiful cake! That little bluebird is adorable. I could easily see a quilt of them.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy belated Birthday, Joceyln .What a pretty and yummy looking cake that your dear daughter made. I hope your special day was a blessed one. Your quilting is looking fabulous. Hop the bumps in the batting do not cause too much difficulty. Another great post of freebies. I am working on the Jeannette Douglas piece right now. I am off to print Sandy's pattern. Have a great weekend.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hope your birthday was a good one. The cake looks beautiful, too good to eat! Loving the patchwork quilting too. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

grammajudyb said...

I agree with all commenters. What a pretty cake. She replicated the embroidery stitches perfectly! I applaud you for hand quilting! A skill I had hoped to acquire, but did not!

Happy Belated Birthday to you!

Andi said...

Happy Birthday! What a sweet cake, decorated so perfectly. I don't think I've heard Mandy Patinkin sing...I just know him as Inigo Montoya from THe Princess Bride, LOL. Thanks for joining the Put Your Foot Down linky party.

quiltingbydawn said...

Happy Birthday! Your daughter did a great job decorating to look like embroidery stitches! Thank for the links to the free patterns. That bird is quite adorable!

Christine B said...

Happy Birthday to you! Your cake looks fabulous! I love your Karnak wall hanging and the stitching is great. Have a lovely weekend! Christine xx

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a beautiful cake! Perfect for you! Your quilt is gorgeous and it n’y that bird block fun!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Very happy (now belated!) Birth Day wishes to you! Your daughter made you the perfect cake for the occasion.
Your quilt is looking lovely - I like the wonderful colours you used.
And..thank you for the links! I'm really tempted by the monthly cross stitch sampler.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! That cake looks amazing!!
Karnak is quite beautiful - the colors in the sun light are stunning!!

CathieJ said...

Happy Birthday! What a beautiful cake! Your color play wall hanging is very pretty. I like how you are quilting it. I have some of that nasty batting. I can't use it for hand quilting.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Now I am craving cake :)

My birthday is this month so maybe I will have to make sure I get some! Love your quilt. Simple but looks fantastic. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

gladiquilts said...

A belated happy birthday! What a beautiful cake! I’d love to know what batting is giving you trouble. I have mostly settled on Tuscany silk batting as my favorite for hand quilting. It’s expensive, but lovely for hand work. Wool is tricky - the Tuscany brand is good, but the Quilters Dream brand too thick. The Quilters Dream thinnest cotton, the “Request” is good for hand work too. I think the Tuscany 80/20 cotton/polyester is supposed to be good too, but haven’t used it in a long time since silk has been my go-to.

Linda said...

What a delightful cake. Off to check out the cross stitch link you left.

Quilter Kathy said...

I adore the cake your daughter made... that is a work of art!
I also use the "Quilter's Dream request" batting for hand quilting. Your project is lovely and I enjoyed seeing your yellow stitches bringing it to life!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, Hope you had a great birthday - it's a lovely cake :-) Thanks for the links - I've been wanting to make a piece with birds. Those are great patterns.

Sandy Panagos said...

Happy Birthday! Your cake is so special. How sweet of your daughter to do that. Your quilt looks great. Good luck with your OMG.

Susan said...

Happy Birthday! You celebrated with a very pretty cake!

Linda said...

Happy belated birthday wishes Jocelyn! I'd love to have a piece of that cake. I love that she decorated it like one of your hobbies, she is so talented.

Grams Jean said...

Belated Happy birthday to you! Love the cake, blue birds (of happiness), freebies!