Thursday 13 October 2022

Many Free Patterns, Favourite Snack, Quilting Tilda

                     

Happy Thursday friends! The season is moving forward with news of snow flurries north of us. Here we are comfortably still in autumn with all the little things in nature changing, some faster than others as my photo captured here.

I'm soldiering away quilting Plaid Tilda.  It is going smoothly so far with the handling of the size of it and I haven't hit any lumps or tucks. It's interesting how fabric can behave well sometimes and other times not. I keep checking the back to be sure there are no snags and it's good to see it is already taking on that nice crinkly, cozy feel hand quilting gives a piece.
LeeAnna's (Not Afraid of Color) prompt this week was what is our favourite snack food?  I don't eat when I'm nervous but I do feel I need to be treated sometimes. Potato chips are so good but I feel less guilty about eating popcorn. Recently I found Orville's popping corn using avocado oil and sea salt. I add a splash of balsamic vinegar to mine- strange I know but, as a vinegar lover, it works for me. I add balsmic vinegar to a lot of things actually. 

Thursday's Three Free

I'm sharing a true Squirrel-ly moment.  I had found this free pattern below to share with you. From Kim at her lovely Retro Mama site.  What a great way to use up small narrow scraps, I thought.

Really easy to create and so cute. I could see the uses for it...pin cushions-yes, mug rugs definitely, maybe a place mat as I want to make some of those. But I wondered about a quilt. I googled herringbone quilts and found loads of examples and lots of tutorials to make a quilt using that block.  Fave Quilts has a whole bank of them!  But one caught my eye.

It reminded me of a block I'd taken note of years ago- 2015, in a quilting calendar I'd gotten for Christmas. It is a pattern called Tiny Textured Trees by Carolyn Friedlander, a favourite designer of mine. Her quilt looked like a miniature work of art.
 Maybe it's because I'm loving the trees on the property these days as the colours change almost hourly it seems that this one stood out. There are many variations of this stylistic tree block. For instance, there is Anne at Springleaf Studio and her gorgeous Arboretum quilt that I know some of you stitched and had me in awe. Wonderful Wanda at Exuberant Color for one.

Of course I had to chase down the one that caught my eye and found this. Kristy in this Quiet Play post from 2012 shared a free foundation paper piecing pattern for this block. I've downloaded it and will give it a whirl this weekend.

Still in a scrap busting mood...The busy and famous Pat Sloan I Love to Make Quilts had a free PDF for this scrap busting quilt that she made in 2013.  She calls it Traffic Jam. I notice quite a few folks sewed it in all sorts of colour ways. 

Since I already have a mess in the sewing room, I may as well try this. If I am to cut down on scraps, mine would have to be scrappier than this one. Generous Pat offers one of the most extensive free pattern cache on the net.Here

And for my embroidery/cross stitch friends, Laura at her The YellowBirdhouse site offers a bunch of free Halloween patterns to stitch, 18 to be exact.
Researching these links was a fun journey around the net for me. Thanks for all the positive feedback about this Thursday feature of mine.
Hope your weekend will be grand!



25 comments :

Angela said...

You have the perfect backdrop for that quilt. So pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Plaid Tilda quilting is beautiful, Jocelyn! Looks like you're moving right along with it. We love popcorn here, too - I haven't seen that variety before - will have to try it! I love the little Halloween embroidery designs - thanks for sharing them.

PaintedThread said...

Balsamic vinegar on popcorn... interesting. Those herringbone quilts are cute. Those trees look pretty cool, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what pretty projects you show today - popcorn with vinegar - has me cringing lol but each to her own right! I love your quilt that you are working on and have fun with the hand quilting I am so glad to get back to mine after two and half weeks gone but of course the needle pricks are happening fast to my fingers - LOL

LA Paylor said...

I like popcorn but am allergic to corn... also love balsamic on lots of things!
your post is so pretty, always so pretty and full of ideas I want to make. You saw I stopped everything and made that fall ya'all quilt! I love the tiny trees but couldn't find the pattern on her site. Good for you to do hand quilting. I thought about it recently... I used to hand quilt all of mine.
LeeAnna

Jackie said...

You are such a neat hand quilter. My stitches are never very even.

God bless.

Susie H said...

This week at retreat I touched my first Tilda fabric. OMG! So soft and smooth and wonderful. I'll bet it is a joy to quilt! Thank you for all the "rabbit holes" to climb through this week. I'd forgotten about all the Arboretum quilts that still stun me. I'll spend a few more minutes now browsing through the embroidery/cross-stitch freebies. Have a GREAT week!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thanks for sharing the free patterns! I'm interested in Pat Sloan's scrap quilt too! I love your Tilda quilt and it looks wonderful! The popcorn sounds intriguing. We love malt vinegar on our french fries (although we rarely eat them), do you do that? Wishing you a warm autumn weekend and a while before you get some snow! Hugs!

Vicki in MN said...

Love those little pinnies, thanks for sharing the link. Now you have me jumping off track and checking out herringbone blocks, hahaha.

grammajudyb said...

Oh the bedraggled sunflower! But ‘it’s the season. I love the herringbone pincushions. And Traffic Jam looks like a great scrap buster.I like the single color way, but it might be fun with each “intersection a different colorway! Hmmmm? I’m not a popcorn eater, but Mr. Busy is. I wonder if he would balk at the avocado oil idea. I’m sure you can’t taste the difference, can you?

Annie said...

Oh my, Jocelyn, you have your hands into a little bit of everything! How do you find the time? I struggle with sharing time for everything of interest. Your stitching is wonderful! The Plaid Tilda looks marvelous. I love all the mix of colors I see. Oh YUM, popcorn! A favorite with me too. But I can’t resist having it with butter. The herringbone pieces/blocks look great. I keep resisting a paper pieced leaf pattern like that. I’m sure I’ll cave eventually. I’m glad to find your blog.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! What beautiful quilting you are doing on Plaid Tilda. It's going to be a real treasure when you are finished. Well, who knew that Orville's popcorn had an avocado oil version?!! I can't say I've seen it but then I haven't looked either. I'm going to check that out. Adding vinegar doesn't sound odd to me at all. Having had crisps (chips) in the UK ages ago, the flavor was salt and vinegar. Once you get used to it they are delicious! Have a fabulous weekend. How is sweet Neddy? {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Deb A said...

I love vinegar! Reminds me I need to pick up some malt vinegar. My pantry is well stocked in the vinegars - apple cider, white, red wine, white wine, rice and balsamic.. and homemade tarragon and garlic! I actually have a salt and vinegar seasoning to put on popcorn (and other things) in my pantry! I've never tried balsamic on it though, will need to give it a try next time I make some.
Love all the fun links you always share. Those herringbone scrappy blocks are so cute. What a fun scrappy quilt they would make.
Enjoy your weekend.

audrey said...

Ughh, not ready for the snow quite yet!! I love Oroville popcorn, will have to try the Avocado oil one! Always so sweet when the hand quilting is taking on that cozy, crinkled look that makes it so irresistible. I'm always thinking, Yes! This is exactly why I do this!:)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Balsamic vinegar on popcorn sounds interesting! It sounds like you've already heard about snow. I know that will be coming soon for us as well. I love the scrappy herringbone blocks. I love the way you're stitching your Tilda quilt. Thank you for sharing all your free patterns. I always look forward to them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Never tried vinegar on popcorn but now I'm intrigued. Favourite snack for me is one of Resident Chef's trail mix cookies.
Fun links to explore - thank you!

Kathy S. said...

Thank you for pointing out so many freebees! You know I'm a serious stalker--I mean follower of your blog. I have the HP plan where I can print 100 pages each month. My notebooks always get a few pages after reading one of your posts. This time the Pat Sloan quilt has caught my eye. I have tons of 2.5" scraps that are getting squished in the bin. Have a great weekend! Enjoy your stitching... but not while eating popcorn. We don't want that oil on your masterpiece. The popcorn does look yummy though.

Michelle said...

So much quilty goodness in this post! Your embroidery and hand quilting are both beautiful. You shared so many lovely ideas for quilts, I am pinning this post.

K Reeves said...

Popcorn? Yes please! It’s my Sunday night dinner option most weeks. Pat Sloan’s quilts are very scrap friendly, and they do help to cut down on all those little left overs! Your plaid Tilda is a beauty, and Ned does look exhausted in that picture, poor baby!

CathieJ said...

What an interesting post you had today. I love the quilt that you are quilting. Thanks for all the interesting links. Now I have to go scrolling around. Have a great week.

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks for the links to the freebies! I'm going too give that popcorn a try. I put hot pepper flakes on mine usually, or Italian seasoning. We are actually getting cooler, in the 70's, 58 at night which is such a blessing compared to our summer of over 100 degree weather. I might actually get some yard clean up done this week, if I have a chance to stay home! Happy stitching!

Bonnie said...

What a fun collection of freebies this week. I have been working on Traffic Jam for the last couple of weeks in between other projects. I've decided to make mine with only 4 blocks and probably will only use two rows of squares for the border. It's a fun and easy pattern. My next one I'm planning on doing with 2" blocks. I have lots of 2.5" and 2" squares. This looks like a perfect way to use some up and make a fun charity quilt. As to favorite snack -- mixed nuts with either no salt or low salt. Yummy. Keep up with that wonderful hand quilting.

Jeanna said...

So many nice things in this post, Jocelyn. I sure hope to have a sewing room again soon. You've given me some really good ideas!

Quilter Kathy said...

I have actually made several of those herringbone blocks... I wonder where they are!?!? LOL
Thanks for the embroidery link... I'm going right now to check it out!
And thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I like vinegar. Never considered adding it to popcorn! That traffic jam is an interesting pattern. . .a scrap buster for sure!!