Thursday 27 October 2022

Thursday's Three Free Patterns, Halloween Talk, Sharing Quilt Backs, Special Video

 Autumn turned this maple tree into quite the marvel. 

Now those limbs are bare. And for a short time, we will enjoy our golden leafy carpet under foot on our walks.
Someone asked...yes the Swedish BungyPump Walking poles are fabulous in my opinion. You do get a workout- I can feel my heartrate rise, and I do believe my upper body and arms are getting stronger.  I usually spend 15-20 minutes walking  with them as many days of the week as I can get in. Not affiliated in any way.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was a favourite costume of ours. All I remember is having face masks as kids.  Those made of a stiff plastic like material that made your face overheat and sweat so much. Not pleasant. I always wanted a rabbit as in those days, my nickname was Bunny. No fancy treat bags either, an old pillow case to carry about. Gosh it all sounds like Olden Days doesn't it especially compared to the Halloween animatronics items available today. 
Speaking of Halloween, I went to see Halloween Ends with older grandson and I enjoyed it for what it is. I did not find it scary. Fun to see Jamie Lee Curtis again. 
I will not be able to meet my OMG for October, that is hand quilting Plaid Tilda. However, I am pleased with how much is quilted and how it is looking. It's over 3/4's of the way finished. I haven't shown the back before. I'm happy my stitches are catching the fabric through those layers okay. I like these pretty fabrics.
Remember the Super Scrappy table runner.  The hand quilting on that is done.
And I'm likewise happy enough with the stitches...here's the back as well. Not perfect, by any means! I'm no Gretchen or Karen! I could go on there with naming wonderful hand quilters. Check out Sunday's Slow Stitching party post at Kathy's Quilts and you will see lots of wonderful hand work including Kathy's!

Time for Thursday's Three Free!

Linda, the Texas Quilt Gal, alerted us to this free Mystery Autumn Stitchalong from Joy at Days Filled With Joy. Every Friday for 4 all together, Joy will release an embroidery pattern, free for a limited time. 

I'm sharing this idea because I just don't think of fussy cutting motifs enough or using fusible applique either for that matter. And the projects those techniques could be used in are endless. This one below is part of the free cache at Connecting Threads and is called Acorn Park Triptych. I love little scenes like this. Perfect for small scraps for a pin cushion or needlebook maybe too.

Gay at her wonderful Sentimental Stitches site shared this lovely free pattern called Friendship.  Available as a PDF download.

Interested in applique basic techniques? Erin Russek at her blog, One Piece at a Time, is sharing a series of posts showing how to applique. Her instructions are very clear with large photos to follow along. She also has a page of free patterns with tutorials. Great stuff!

I am ending this post with this wonderful video from Karen at Just Get It Done Quilts called My Dutch Textile Tour.  Karen and her mother went to Holland to visit the grave of her grandfather who died fighting to help liberate Holland in the Second World War. Along the way they visited several textile and quilt shops. While I had tears in my eyes during some parts, I also was thrilled to see the Petra Prins shop, which as Karen says, was like stepping into Quiltmania. 

Hope you enjoyed your visit here today and maybe found a little bit of inspiration-there are so many talented folks sharing their skills with us. What a time to be be a stitcher!!

30 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that tree and the carpet of leafs. I have nothing like that still but give it a couple more weeks and I will have a lot of leafs on the ground - I might stop at the trails later and see what they have there.
I love your quilts. That Friendship pattern looks really nice -- I remember those plastic masks we had them too and used paper grocery sacks for our treat bags when we lived in the town - once we moved to the country we were out of luck no one to take us to the town for that as dad was too tuckered out from work all day and mom didn't drive :(

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

the super scrappy quilt is looking great! Glorious photos of the tree and leaves
Jillxo

Jenny said...

Your beautiful golden trees are breathtaking. I'm sure that I've mentioned New Zealand native trees are mostly evergreens. So the ones here that turn golden and drop their leaves are imports. Our parks, grand homes and suburbia do have the English style trees growing so we do see Autumn leaves. Thanks for the link to Karen's trip, I do enjoy her videos.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a pretty tree and all those leafs - I love to walk in the fall leafs
the quilts are pretty and I like that Friendship quilt - so nice and always nice for a free pattern.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I think your quilting stitches look just fine. I'm certainly not a member of the quilt stitching police. I'm going to check out the bungypump walking poles and I missed that free pattern from Gay's blog. Happy stitching!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I love all the leaves. Ha - I like the little triptych. Friendship is really pretty, too. Good stuff.

Jennifer said...

Your golden maple tree is beautiful....and the colourful carpet of leaves is inspiration for a quilt, isn't it. We have really enjoyed our autumn trips to Canada to visit family and friends - and now we have six months until autumn arrives here!

The Cozy Quilter said...

The fall colours have been spectacular this year! The leaves look just as good on the tree as on the ground. Your quilting looks great! I think I have a UFO that is half hand quilted….I need to get it out and finish it. Karen Brown and I both belong to the Toronto Modern guild. She has some great videos.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are such a busy woman! The leaves are amazing. Your projects lovely.

Linda said...

I'd love to walk on that carpet of leaves. We have very few trees here on our street, and I miss the crunch of fall leaves. Your hand stitching is lovely, and I love the backing on Plaid Tilda. I remember using a pillow case or grocery sack for Halloween treats. My most vivid memory of Halloween is when I was 8 and my Mom was in the hospital. I decided I would simply dress as a boy, so I put on one of my brothers' baseball caps, put on a white t-shirt and jeans, and away I went. In those days, it was perfectly safe for little ones like me to roam the block. Couldn't do that now!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a beautiful leaf photo, Jocelyn! I love those maples that turn red on top and are yellow underneath. Such a pretty combination! I think your Tilda quilting is looking good. I have trouble getting every quilting stitch all ths way through to the back, too. Hopefully there are enough to hold the quilt together! I enjoyed the video you shared. I have some Petra Prins fabric that a friend shared with me - it's been fun to sew with.

Pamela Dempsey said...

Such a pretty maple 🍁 leaf tree! I remember those awful masks, so hard to breathe! We used pillowcases for our loot too, such fun and I enjoyed Halloween 🎃 so much! I remember one girls dad actually passed out concrete/gravel rocks and I was so surprised and went back and got another one thinking surely he would pass out candy. Nope. I still like to watch scary suspense movies but don’t like all the blood/killing. The original Halloween 🎃 movie is the best!

Jackie said...

Your stitching is still much better than mine. I am hoping that practice make perfect.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Our trees looked so pretty with their autumn leaves but they've all fallen now. One good wind and the leaves are gone. I remember those plastic masks too. So sweaty!! I'm loving your projects. Your hand quilting looks great!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those tree photos are picture-postcard worthy!
I only went trick or treating twice (once as an adult...just for fun) and don't remember what I wore either time. I do know that I had a long-haired wig that I bought that I actually wore at work when I didn't have time to wash my own hair (wigs seemed to be 'the thing' back then) and I wore it along with some sort of mask.
Fun links....thank you!

gladiquilts said...

I just love the golden colors in the fall and you captured them beautifully! Thanks so much for the link to the Dutch textile tour - fascinating!

Linda said...

Hello, nice to meet another Canadian stitcher. I found my way here from a link on another site from Slow Sunday Stitching. Your work is lovely, off to check out some more. Have a wonderful weekend.

Chantal said...

Oh, Jocelyn, those Fall photos are so good that I just had to save them in my Pinterest Fall section. I hope you don't mind. Oh yes, I had the plastic/whatever rigid mask and a pillowcase for Halloween too. It blocked my peripheral vision and I got quite a fright a few times because of that.
I'm no Gretchen or Karen either but I think your stitches are very nice and dainty. Great job! Enjoy! ;^)

Floor said...

Those beautiful colored leaves, and so much.
I love that too.
I love that blanket from your previous blog post.
Love all those colors.
Greetings,
Floor

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up the quilting on your Super Scrappy Runner, Jocelyn, and thanks for the project links!

piecefulwendy said...

Your carpet of leaves is absolutely glorious - I'd find reasons to go for a walk just to walk through them! I've not heard of those poles, so I'm going to check them out. I love the squirrel triptych - how fun!

jude's page said...

Your leaf photo is beautiful, there are not a lot of trees around here that lose their leaves. Do you leave them all on the ground?? I guess it would be not so pretty when they get wet?
Well done with the hand quilting, as a longarm quilter, I can't imagine doing it all by hand!!

LA Paylor said...

well I know nothing of walking poles but those masks...scary and hot and hard to see through at night. You sure got some leaves.... the price we pay to have lovely trees that shade and make oxygen

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely post! I have some of the same Halloween memories, like the pillow case for candy, I don't remember any plastic bags then. You're right about those masks, hard plastic and hard to see out of! I think I was a cowgirl for several years, partly because I didn't have to wear a mask!

Kate said...

Congrats on all the hand quilting you've gotten done. Happy stitching this week.

Bonnie said...

Lots of wonderful things shared today. I especially loved the tree and the leaves on the ground. (On the other hand, I wouldn't be really happy if all those leaves landed on my grass and I was in charge of clean up!) But they are beautiful.

K Reeves said...

What a gorgeous carpet of maple leaves; I could look at that all day long! Wow!

Sara said...

I was glad when those hard plastic masks became a thing of the past. Wishing I lived closer to my grandkids to see their costumes in person. But my girls are usually good about sending me pictures. Your hand quilting project is looking good.

CathieJ said...

I love the colors of Autumn maple leaves. I remember those awful masks. They made it so difficult to see and breathe. I love all of your hand quilting. Thanks for the freebie links. Have a great week!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty Autumn colors, it's fun to walk on a thick leaves carpet. Your quilt backs are great too, well done on the hand quilting!
Thank you for sharing so much, and linking up ;)