Thursday 20 October 2022

Thursday's Free Three, Panama Pyramids, Tidy Up Time, Autumn's Beauty

Veranda view of the tree line edging our side, ball playing lawn. October 19. Leaves falling now and sorry the photo is not focused but I had to share for the colours, especially the purple Smoke Tree.

I've started my decorating for Halloween. LOL Need to add deep dusting to my chore list! Though I am peculiar in that I do abide the odd spider here and there in this house.

So happy to get a few more of the Panama Pyramids finished. Parked in front of the tv every night with Hubby is when I get hand stitching done. 
  LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is Halloween candy favourites. I'm not a big sweets fan so the candy didn't appeal as much as the bags of chips would have. However, I remember well the molasses toffee kind of candy in their Halloween wrappers. There was not the variety of candy and not the little mini bars either back then. You remember these or were they a Canadian thing? Which treat did you love getting tossed in your bag?

Thursday's Three Free

First up is My Favorite Quilt Store and their wide selection of over 800 free quilt patterns. My computer prevented me from uploading from their site for some unknown reasons but I went through a number of the quilt patterns and took note of four when I had to stop that. :D

Lots to see at Caroline's site, Sew Can She, including videos and tutorials. She has a great bank of free patterns too. Like this one...you might know Dresdens caught my eye.

              

And Christen at her site I See Stars Quilting has collated in one post links to 13 Free Modern Quilt Patterns. Like Caroline, Christen has a extensive web site with loads of articles, patterns, videos, etc. to spark your creativity. 

And for my slow stitching friends. From Tiny Modernist Cross Stitch, a very cute turkey to cross stitch. Love those plummy reds in the feathers.

It's been awhile since I shared the talented Kathy Schmitz's work, some of which I enjoyed stitching 10 years ago! when I lived at the farm.  Kathy Schmitz Here is a cute freebie from her, perhaps to get your Christmas stitching started. She calls it A Wish and it couldn't be more appropriate for these times.

                                          
It looks like I have dusting to do, but first up is go through my makeup drawer. You'd think that wouldn't take long, but I do have skin and hair stuff I badly need to sort. Then to that spare room. I feel like I'm not on top of all the collected "stuff" lying around or tucked away. So Tidy Up October continues.

Hope you are feeling calm and happily busy doing what pleases you whether it is spring or autumn outside your door. 

So happy to share this with So ScrappyQuilting is More Fun  Than HouseworkKathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Quilting Patchwork Applique



29 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a colorful view from your window! I love that amazing shade of purple in with the oranges and greens. Mother Nature's paintbrush does a good job!
Re the Halloween treat question - I really can't answer that because I only went trick or treating twice in my life (and once was when I was an adult so didn't take any of the candy on offer). I remember my Mom buying a bag of those molasses candies and they would be around for months because I certainly never wanted any. I've never been a fan of candy of any sort, unless it's chocolate.
Thank you for the great links (as always) - especially cute is that wee snowman design.

Yvonne said...

Wow! those colors are amazing! What a great view.
Those pyramides are a big hit here in the Netherlands too. Lot's of quilters are making them. Fun project while watching/listening tv at night.

Jenn Jilks said...

That turkey is wonderful!
I keep getting inspired by your work, but keep resisting. Right now we're a bit involved in the politics here. I need to relax, though.

Libby in TN said...

I vaguely remember those candies, tho they weren't my favorite. It was always special to stop at a house that made popcorn balls, sticky and delicious. Thanks, as always, for the free pattern links.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the purple tree/bush is fantastic! what color. I remember a molasses type of taffy that was available back then it was good I don't remember the name of it. But I loved it. Your Panama Pyramids is turning out good. I have dust/cob webs too and need to start thinking of a fall cleaning - it is that time of year - I try to do a good one in the fall and spring.

Jenny said...

The Autumn colours of your trees are spectacular, especially against the dark green trees in the background.

LA Paylor said...

yum, molasses chews... your tree line is so pretty and meh! dust! support of wildlife lol

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

LOL um I don't bother spiders much, unless they invade my personal space. I do like that they catch flies, and so I don't bother them much. I have been sorting through hair, and make up too. I don't do much with my hair, other than wash, and now put in a curl conditioner, then throw it up on top of my head. Makeup, is usually just eyeliner, maybe some mascara. I don't think I even own a lipstick anymore. I need to purge work clothes that I will no longer wear. YAY, and work shoes which made my tootsies ache.

PaintedThread said...

So much color in those bushes! That's impressive. I love anything with chocolate, peanut butter and/or caramel.

grammajudyb said...

Wow, that purple tree is amazing! I wasn’t much of a toffee lover back in the day. I lost a front tooth as a seven year old so was always protective of my teeth. Soft chocolate was my goodie of choice. Thanks for the link to Kathy Schmitz patterns. I like the snowman!,

Kathy S. said...

Don't worry about that spiderweb for now. It's "festive". Your flowers and purple smoke bush are beautiful. I loved a candy shaped like the one you posted. In the US we have Bit-O-Honey. I LOVE those. Every time I have one now it brings back a memory of my happy childhood. I was thankful to be old enough to get a bunch of candy at Halloween. Others a few years behind me got pencils, tooth brushes and erasers! Some people also threw in little note pads with political people running for office and advertisements on them. Ewww.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Wow the purple tree is amazing! Thanks for the freebie links, they are fab, especially the turkey, I love him! I found you whilst blog-hopping, would be great to see you over at mine at emealdcottage.blogspot.com :)
Jillxx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Jocelyn, what a beautiful view from your veranda! That molasses toffee sounds yummy - not sure if I've had that or not. It's always fun to see the free patterns you find. I love Kathy Schmitz's designs - even when not free, they are so reasonable to purchase one now and then.

Jackie said...

Gorgeous colours.

I must be strange as I hated the molasses candies we got at Halloween and would always give them to my Mom. I did enjoy the gum and the few small chocolate bars we got though.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Was that toffee known as Mary Janes? That's what it reminds me of. I used to love them although they would stick to my teeth! I love your Panama Pyramids. I always enjoy stitching when watching TV. It keeps me from feeling too guilty! Thanks for the freebies!

Floor said...

What beautiful fall colors in your garden! That is really enjoyable.
You are having fun with the pyramids, will make a beautiful quilt.
Free patterns are always welcome too, although you probably already have books full of them. There is so much beauty to make.
Greetings,
Floor

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your photo of the wonderful colors! I was wondering where that painting was in your home until I read it was a photo! It's lovely! The pyramids are really coming along! I love them! Thank you again for posting the free patterns! Stay warm and have a great weekend! Hugs!

Linda said...

Jocelyn I thought that first photo was a painting! Such a beautiful view you have, especially that purple. I love that molasses candy - I don't remember much about Halloween candy, other than I loved getting that and 3 Musketeers. I am delighted that you allow the odd spiderweb. I used to get rid of them but as I get older I am very reluctant to suck them into the vacuum.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

That purple smoke tree is gorgeous. The molasses toffee candies were available in the States, too. Although I don't recall them as a regular Halloween feature, more as something you could get as a treat at a penny candy store.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I was always happy to get Super Bubble gum or Nestle CRUNCH bars in my Halloween basket. Thanks for the FREE pattern links, Jocelyn, and you've done a lovely job on those GREEN blocks for the RSC!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the colors from your garden! I always liked the chocolate. I remember those molasses ones but they were not my favorite. I am sure John would have loved them. He used to put molasses on his pancakes! I keep meaning to tell you I love the piece in your header. Since I am having the quilt ladies here next week, I should do some dusting too!

Daniela Bencúrová said...


Autumn is beautiful. I hate spiders, I'm afraid of them 😂. Greetings!
Daniela

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Jocelyn the trees and shrubs are putting on a show of colors in your yard. So beautiful . What a wonderful hand project that you are working on in the evenings. This quilt is going to be so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing the freebies. I had just printed the Kathy Schmitz pattern last week and hope to begin it soon. Now off to get the other two. Have a blessed week

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a beautiful vista you have. I think I'd sit and stare out of your window all day and get nothing done.

CathieJ said...

Once again, thanks for the freebie links. I love your fall view. The Smoke bush is an amazing color. Your pyramid blocks are very pretty. Have a great week.

Little Penpen said...

You have a beautiful colorful view! I, too, am decorating for Halloween... I found my cobwebs in my bedroom window blinds. LOL

Sara said...

That purple tree is amazing. Wow! I do love how your Panama Pyramids are looking. I have a pretty good start on these now too, although I'm not stitching them by hand. Thanks for the inspiration on them, because it will be a fun quilt - once I've made enough.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

The purple Smoke tree is amazing! What a lovely splash of color all your trees are displaying. :) I had to smile at the "I do abide the odd spider"...So love that! Thank you for all the links. :). Hope you have a lovely day. :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Gorgeous colors outside, the purple Smoke Tree looks fabulous! Such a happy view! Panama Pyramids are growing nicely, it's a fun project. Love the snowman!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!