Tuesday 11 October 2022

Biscuits and Gravy, Scrappy Tiny Trees, Colourful Coffee Table Runner, October Photos

 
Haying time in the Ottawa Valley- as neat as it is to see these you don't want to get stuck behind it on a narrow country road..I had to wait for it to turn off to get past.
I'm a cautious driver-I will ever only pass one car at a time and seldom even that.
Thanksgiving dinner was a success.  It was nice to use the fancy glassware and dishes from Hubby's family. I enjoyed the preparation very much. I made biscuits for the gravy this time and used Melissa's Bless This Mess easy recipe for The Best Butter Biscuits. They were really good. I made two batches so we are enjoying the leftovers. They are great with a little butter and jam too. The big one in the front there is the cook's, the one made from leftover dough bits. My second batch browned nicely and the company ate those. The first batch was a little pale.

Having all the company here exhausted Ned...he was so happy to have them. He fell asleep as soon as they left and slept in till 8 the next morning. He usually wakes me about 6:30. He has stayed small for a Labrador, about a quarter smaller than Petey and his mother.I've added two more rows to my coffee table runner. The backing is a neutral polka dot, nothing exciting. I figure there's enough going on on the front.

And added the border as you can see. Also experimenting with a little hand quilting in red.

I tried quite a few fabrics to find a suitable border and kept coming back to black.  A bit boring but it seems to work the best with all those colours. Luckily I had enough of this particular fabric to go around all the edge. This week I have to settle on whether I like those red quilting lines enough to quilt the whole top with it. 
I keep forgetting to show more of the tiny trees project. I have their basket beside the machine and stitch a few bottoms or tops when I finish something else. Foundation piecing of this simple kind is good for that. Here in the pale autumn sun. I should put a push on to get more sewn because the end of the year is my deadline for this project.
A bit more focused garden work needed this week. I have to lop off all the old hosta leaves, the ones that have wilted and yellowed. I'll use my electric hedge trimmer which is so much easier on my hands. This is done every fall and I think it does aid their growth in the spring...the hostas are always healthy here.  The Goats Beard bush will similarly get its' used up canes all shorn. 

A failure...my attempt to grow kitchen herbs in veranda pots was a dismal failure. Something kept pawing the soil and eating the seeds. I wonder if I could grow them inside this winter. 

Thank you for the emails and comments about the Matisse painting I showed in the last post. Many of you know so much about art and Matisse in particular. I was told that piece was an experiment in scale for him. Interesting!

Hope your week is likewise interesting and as productive as you would like it to be!

Happy to link with Texas Quilt GalBrian's Home BlogTrue Blue Quilts,  Wendy's Quilts and MoreFloral Friday FotoQuilting Patchwork AppliqueAlycia QuiltsSo Scrappy and Quilt Fabrication.













24 comments :

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Such beautiful fall leaves, and floral bouquet. Your talk of Thanksgiving puts me in a panic...but I guess it's still about 6 weeks to go for us. Glad you enjoyed some lovely time with family!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Thanksgiving - I am back home from vacation and trying to get caught up on blogs - I am like you hesitate to pass more than one car unless I can really see the distance great.

Jenny said...

Biscuits and gravy, not something we have here. The recipe seems rather like scones, which we enjoy with jam and whipped cream. I love your tiny trees, I was stitching similar ones together with house blocks, haven't looked at this project for a while

Jennifer said...

Best (late) wishes for Thanksgiving! Love the colours of Ontario in autumn....we have visited then, and it's so beautiful.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful leaves in your first photo, Jocelyn! Your biscuits sound yummy, too. So glad you enjoyed your meal with the family. I love your patchwork tablerunner - I think red quilting will be gorgeous on it!

Jackie said...

I adore those scrappy trees. Such a lovely project to stitch away at.

Your biscuits look really good. Now I am thinking of biscuits to go with our short ribs tomorrow.

God bless.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving - your flowers are lovely! Neddy looks so cute, looking out the window. He's a handsome fella! Fun to see what you are working on and your progress. We usually grow herbs in planters on our deck; some years it works well, others, not so much!

Äventyret framtiden said...

So nice that you found yours to my blog and I that way found yours. Lovely that you sew patchwork quilts, such I have also devoted myself to sewing before; maybe I'll get going again?
I've also had two Labradors, Emma and Herbert, many years ago. They are forever in my heart.
Thanks for a nice post! / Karin

Jeanna said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! The biscuits and gravy sound delish. Sometimes my buttermilk biscuits look a bit pale and I just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the tops.
Enjoy seeing your quilt projects.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I suspect squirrels are the guilty parties when it comes to digging up your planters. We catch them at it on our balcony all the time, and currently compounded by blue jays 'planting' nuts which the squirrels promptly dig up. It's rather amusing to see just how quickly a squirrel appears after the blue jay has flown away. It's astounding how fast the squirrels can scale the brick wall to get to our third story balcony.

Rosa said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad it was a success. Those tiny trees are something else. How do you have the patience? I tried tiny houses one time and tapped out at about 15. Then I had to fill in with "tiny empty lots." Lol

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. I love the red stitching on the table runner. Nice contrast. Biscuits sound so good!

Sandee said...

Beautiful table and runner and love the pup. A huge aw.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and yum to the biscuits and gravy! That tree quilt is really pretty and thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Andree said...

Well, I'm glad my week is almost over. So it is so nice to read a post like this with baking and sewing and being you. Thank you. I'm reading the biscuit recipe to see if it is something I want. Thank you!

Jocelyn said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

PaintedThread said...

So much excitement, Ned! He's got big paws - he won't still grow into them? I like the black borders. Funny how some fabrics or color just call to you.

LA Paylor said...

handsome ned.... great photo with profile and shadows

Linda said...

Biscuits and gravy is a BIG favorite here in the south. The Cook's biscuit is always the best, IMO. Happy Thanksgiving! Love your table. I like the grey polka dot border with the colorful top on your runner. Tiny Trees is so cute! How big do your hostas get? I don't have a good place to grow them, plus it gets so hot here, but I love them. Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful table and glasses, your biscuits look good! Cute Ned had a good time too ;) I love the black border for the runner, and I'm looking forward to seeing if you continue the red stitches, everywhere or scattered. Lovely forest too.
Thank you for sharing and linking up ;)

The Cozy Quilter said...

The fall colours are at peak here right now. Glorious weather for a hike in the woods. Your tiny trees collection make a great forest! Your scrappy runner is lovely. The border fabric is perfect and I like your idea of big stitch hand quilting. Ned looks sad to see the company leave. Nice to bring out the special dishes for Thanksgiving.

KarenW said...

I dug up the herbs in the garden and brought them inside. They look pretty scraggy so I don't know if they will amount to much.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Ned - what a sweetheart!!!
And the biscuit recipe looks great!!! Love your Trees!

Andi said...

I love the red stitching on your table runner! Thanks for linking up with the Put Your Foot Down post.