Monday 11 September 2023

Stitching Temptation, Veranda Stitching

  SIL was mowing the path by the pond and sent me this photo. He'd moved two of my lawn chairs down there and wrote what do you think...with a little outdoor rug, a small table, etc.? 

I laughed but I have to admit it is much more comfortable than the step stool I normally sit on. I've sat there every time I'm down there now with the camera and it is very relaxing, especially when the mosquitoes are not around. 

Someone is watching me watching him. I'd just refilled the tray feeder and he was enjoying it very much. They almost have fingers.

The mid summer to early autumn wild flowers are in bloom now. The yellow leaning to orange Hawkweed...beauty under our feet.
I just read an article about folks using canned meat more these days. With the ridiculous pricing of fresh meat, no wonder that is happening. Anyway the article included interesting recipes for using the various tinned products, some of which, I'd never known were available in a can.
 But I'd forgotten how I used to buy a ham in a tin when first married to use with scalloped potatoes. My mother would keep one of them in the cupboard in case someone dropped in and stayed for lunch. I always thought Mom could make a meal out of anything. 
Carolyn at her The Boat Gallery post provides a great list of recipes to make with canned meat should you be looking for ideas.

Stitching Temptation  

The wonderful The Vintage Spool has many beautiful patterns and one that caught my eye for fall is this one. Though I couldn't find it on their site anymore I did find it for sale at The Quilt Spot. The work of talented Verna Mosquera...I love her fabric lines too. I like the colours in this one and of course, the hexies. I wonder how much of it I could stitch EPP. Though I love it, I won't be buying this pattern just now. I'm determined to concentrate on WIP's for the time being. 

I got in a little veranda stitching on the weekend with my own hexies. These are in teals and aquas. I decided to include some in white as a contrast. Not nearly as interesting as Verna's design. Very relaxing all the same. 
I'm hoping to finish the quilting on my Plus quilt this week. Depends on how many lines I want to stitch. I'm aiming for it to be a lap quilt so I will need to add a lot. 
I've a pork roast in the oven and want to make a real meal for us with veggies and gravy. It is starting to smell good. 
Hope you are well on this particular day filled to the brim with memories.

16 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we just walked past some tinned meat last week and I pointed it out to my husband with a "remember when" and asked him if wanted some Spam :) he said no he didn't! I remember eating it a lot when I was a kid - mom could make a meal around a can of spam right down to chopping it in little pieces and adding it to a casserole bowl of macaroni and cheese seems like she would add a vegetable in it to stretch it far enough. I haven't priced it though and wonder if per pound it isn't more expensive then fresh?

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Haunted Hexie looks like a great pattern. I've got too much going to start anything new right now but such temptation out there! I'm looking forward to Fall after this long stretch of humidity.

Out To Pasture said...

Oh my gosh, I had completely forgotten about canned meats! Mom ALWAYS kept a can of ham in the cupboard in case of drop-ins. Thanks for the inspiration. I immediately wrote down 'canned ham' on my grocery list. I'll enjoy the ham sandwiches with mustard and lettuce. That Haunted Hexie quilt pattern is a gorgeous work of art. No wonder you were tempted. I'm almost drooling as you mention tonight's meal of pork roast with gravy and veggies!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I like the chairs down these, it looks really peaceful. I'll bet that pork roast did smell great. I hope you all have a fabulous week.

Linda said...

Next thing you'll have a deck down by the pond with your lawn chairs! Love the photo you took on your veranda. I've always wanted a veranda - lol!
Hubs and I like Spam (some folks would be horrified) but we've eaten meals with Spam since we were little, and by golly we like it! My favorite way is not healthy - we sauté slices and eat it on a sandwich with mayonnaise. It's wonderful.

Jeanna said...

Your spot by the pond looks like the perfect place to stitch or just enjoy nature. Your hexies are looking nice. I'm trying to stay focused on my wips, too!

Daniela Bencúrová said...

Your sewing is perfect! I love it!
Daniela

Jenny said...

I'm sure I can almost smell that roast pork way down here, one of my favourite roast, as is roast lamb. Reading about tinned meat, I'm not sure that we have much here in our shops. Tinned corned beef, salmon, tuna, sardines, but I dont think we have chicken or beef.

PaintedThread said...

I like the different colors on the squirrel (especially the stripe down his nose).

Rosa said...

Ate SPAM as a child (and loved it!) but the sodium content now would send my blood pressure through the roof! If meat is expensive, I'll stick to beans! Lol.

What lovely spots you have to sit and sew!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful hexies and the view is great. Looks like a relaxing place to work on your hexies. My husband uses some canned meat for a cheese ball he always makes at Christmas.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, those are lovely pictures. I've never stitched such large hexies but then it would get big quickly! That pattern you're looking at is gorgeous but it looks rather challenging. I'm all for simple right now!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh I would love to sit down by the pond with you and work on my hexies! Love watching squirrels, they are so cute... and that one has amazing colors! xx

K Reeves said...

What a lovely spot to sit and enjoy your wildlife and just be still! Have a great week Jocelyn!

grammajudyb said...

I think chairs down by the path are a marvelous idea. A good place to stop, sit and reflect! I enjoyed reminiscing about canned ham. I remember a little key thing that you turned and turned and it opened the can. The edges were sharp. Do they still open that way! I’ll have to check next time I see one in a market! I’m guessing they invented a better safer way to open the can. No doubt, like you open tuna or even canned beans these days. With a pull tab!

Your aqua Hexies are lovely!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Love the chairs down the path to the pond, Jocelyn! That pattern does look quite interesting but alas, I'm not a person who enjoys making hexies, unless it's the easy way! LOL That little squirrel was definitely having a blast in the feeder! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings. Have a great upcoming week!