Thursday 28 September 2023

Easy Hexagon Runner, Free Patterns, Redwork Stitching

Yes, it is starting. I'm wearing gloves on my early morning walks these days. Staying cool but sunny which makes it wonderful fall weather. Here is a little roundup of tiny but wonderful things I enjoyed this week.

Baker Beth gave us these wonderful blueberry muffins and extra chocolatey cookies. A great treat!
I didn't share Robbie's back to school photo before but here he is now soon to be 10! He's tall for his age.
And he gave me this...worms he caught for my compost bin. I told him they will live a very good life there, LOL. He is very caring of wildlife, birds, etc., a quality I hope stays with him. 
Something I spied...Leslie, The Seasoned Homemaker, has this free pattern for a very cute mug rug. Anything with leaves catches my eye. Leslie offers many patterns and tutorials plus free patterns at her wonderful site. I love how she emphasizes simple patterns too. 
The latest of Mom's Redwork patterns is the Bonavista Lighthouse in Newfoundland. This is special to our family as it is the area where Dad and his people before him lived. 

Below is a shot of the back of that lighthouse showing how stark and rocky the edge of the Bonavista peninsula is; the lighthouse is much needed! This was taken by me in 2017 from a tour boat. When we no sooner rounded the peninsula and hit the open Atlantic here, I felt seasick. 

Stitching these pieces is like a stroll down memory lane for me. A happy (mostly 😉) stroll. 

My Hand Stitched Aqua Table Runner is 40in  x 20in without borders. I'm halting the hexies at this point with 63 whole hexies sewn together. Now for figuring out how to deal with those borders. I still have the outer rows of templates left in. I liked how it pressed out nicely with just one obvious pucker. I tend to keep my tension tight with hand stitching and need reminders to relax it. Loved stitching this very much.
Hope there are happy things in your days now too whether quickly heading towards summer or winter in your neck of the woods.  



25 comments :

Jenny said...

Have you had your Mother's redword patterns tucked away for some time and just starting to finish them now? They must be such a lovely reminder of her and your young life together.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It was fun to be reminded of those 'first day of school' photos that I always took of our boys. I wonder if our kids continue the tradition but somehow I doubt it.
Your table runner looks happy (for lack of a better word to describe it!).

Nancy J said...

Love the blue hexies, and memories for you. Heading to summer, a misnomer for us right now, freezing winds, rain, and multiple layers if I venture outside. The beaver statue silk scarf a constant accessory today!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The trees are starting to turn here, too - I love seeing the color! Your grandson sounds like a sweetie. I taught 5th grade in my career, so I enjoy that age. Yummy muffins and cookies! Pretty stitching projects - enjoy!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Gee, those cookies sure do look good. That Robbie sure is a handsome guy and your table runner is beautiful. I hope you all have a terrific Friday and a wonderful weekend.

Jackie said...

I was really worried about becoming seasick on our cruise considering I got very ill on our crossing of the water between the UK and Ireland.

Love the hexies in that table runner.

God bless.

Libby in TN said...

Happy to be alive, above ground. Happy to have friends who share my passion. Happy to have distant friends how listen to me rant.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love lighthouses - one trip we went on was in Northern Wisconsin and we saw quite a few of them = I like it when you can climb all the way to the top of the ones open for visitors.
Gloves already! wow and here I was in a tank top and hope as could be today. Your grandson is a good looking young man

PaintedThread said...

I almost broke out my earmuffs today!

Mmm... chocolate cookies. That's a cute photo of Robbie. Love those aqua hexies.

MissPat said...

I spied a hummingbird flitting around the fuschia baskets, which made me smile this morning. The nights have been down in the 40's (F), so I was surprised to see the hummer still here.
Pat

Anonymous said...

I just love those red embroideries! We did not get to this particular lighthouse on our recent trip into Nfld. Getting cooler here too. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

Robbie is such a sweet boy! And a good looking one too. Is he Beth's son? The Bonavista Lighthouse is going to be so pretty.

Jeanna said...

The trees are beginning to change colors here in the mountains as well. I am really enjoying the cooler temperatures. Your grandson is such a handsome fella and how thoughtful of him to bring you worms for the compost. Your aqua hexies turned into a beautiful runner. I look forward to seeing how you finish it.

Laura said...

Super thoughtful of Robbie! Love that! :)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's definitely getting cooler out. And the days seem so much shorter. Oh well, nothing we can do! The Fall placemats are so nice. Thanks for sharing! Love the redwork too!

grammajudyb said...

Your aqua hexie tablerunner is a delight to the eye! So pretty. It is much cooler these days! Fall is a favorite season, though I’m not as fond of the next approaching one. The cold is harder on my old body! I’m looking forward to “soup season “ though! Love seeing your redwork and hearing the history and background of those images. Have a good weekend!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, how pretty those AQUA/teal/turquoise hexies are coming together, Jocelyn!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful aqua hexies, nice job! I also love that your grandson brought you worms for your garden. What a kind and thoughtful young man.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fall is coming ;) Beautiful lighthouse, and great memories while stitching it! Your hexies are very pretty too, I love the scattered red dots ;)
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

Quilter Kathy said...

I adore the lighthouse embroidery! Such a wonderful way to honour the family ties you have to this building/area. I also adore the thoughtful gift from your grandson! Congratulations on a pretty aqua hexie project... it just glows! Enjoy your Slow Sunday Stitching!

slyquiltlady44@gmail.com said...

The leaves are changing here in the GA mountains too & predicting 40's at night this coming weekend. I love to do red work! My great grandfather was the lighthouse keeper on Anna Maria Island on the west coast of FL after he could no longer sail his ship. Memories.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love lighthouses, and love your redwork one. Love your hexie table runner, especially the colors! One of my favorites. Happy stitching!

Carolyn said...

Those fall mug rugs are really cute! And, your grandson is a handsome young man. Fifth grade is a good age. I was looking at your red work and was reminded of some embroidery I would like to start on soon.

Vicki in MN said...

Fall was in the air but right now we are back into the 80's, Indian Summer I guess:) Love those cute leaf mug rugs, I'll have to check out her site.

scraphappy said...

What a lovely sea of aqua hexies. So soothing.