Thursday 21 September 2023

Starbucks Treat, Teresa's Video, QAYG Autumn Tablerunner

 No sign of a groundhog in about a month now. Also my hummingbirds have disappeared. Yesterday, the geese flew overhead with their familiar wild honking. I never tire of watching their beautiful v's cross the sky. 

LeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's new prompt has to do with our favourite spices. Recently I was here, a rare spot for me to be.

I ordered something completely new to me (well, everything in there is new to me really)...the Apple Crisp Oat Macchiato with cinnamon, a spice I like but just a little of. Anyway, it was delicious but I would try something else another time. I love oats but found this a little too oaty. 
As a smell when baking, cinnamon is heavenly to me. What about you? A favourite spice of yours?  
Hubby wears this cologne.
We got a chuckle out of the saying on the box it came in...
"If your grandfather hadn't worn it, you wouldn't exist."

With the quilting of my Plus Quilt almost finished and my hexie table topper also well underway, I had thoughts of a new project, one featuring colours of the season. I happened upon Teresa Down Under's wonderful video about quilting as you go and keeping it simple. 

I pulled out these fabrics from my stash...definitely autumnal to my eyes after working with aquas.
Narrowed it down and then added mustardy yellow to the mix. And gave my cutter a well needed new blade.
Dithered about quite a lot before finally settling on the choices below. Here it is layered up using a little spray adhesive to hold everything together while machine stitching the lines. 
It is simple so far but I plan to gussy it up with a fancy hand quilting pattern. That bit has been a lot of fun to research. I hope it won't be too challenging for me but that is okay...good for my brain. 
Something else that is good for me-
I keep an old 5 lb bar bell by my night time stitching chair in the den.
I do arm lifts above my head when watching the last show of the evening which is usually something light. When I started, I could do just 5 but now I can do 25. But summer swimming is also helping with that. I do believe baby steps work and at my age especially, just have to keep moving -if that is possible without pain and discomfort, of course.

 Have you watched this series?

I enjoyed it but had a lot of questions too. What did you think?
Hope you all have a great weekend that will include something you love. Mine will include bird watching as the migrating birds are moving through.


15 comments :

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Jocelyn! Ah, yes. Fall is nearing and getting more obvious each and every day. My tomatoes are in their last hurrah as I picked a dozen samples today along with a green pepper. Old Spice?!!! Oh, I absolutely LOVE the smell of Old Spice. My dad always wore it and it brings me right back to very happy times. Gosh, I miss him. That saying on the box is spot on for me. I do think it's enticing and sexy, and always got close to the men in my life who wore it. Aha! A new blade in the rotary cutter means you are seriously getting down to business. WOW - thanks for the arm exercise inspiration!! I have a walking challenge that I gave myself, but can easily expand it to arm lifts. Happy Thursday to you, my friend. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

trying to see a few people today, glad I stopped by, laughing at the old spice motto. True that. I smelled it when I saw your bottle.
I do like cinnamon but am trying to include more cardamom which I read is good for us. I even put cinnamon in Milo;s cookies!
LeeAnna

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the smell of cinnamon. It reminds me of my mother baking! I'm looking forward to your fall project! I love your fabrics.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We like cinnamon at our house, too. Whenever I bake something, I add extra cinnamon! I love the colors in your new project, Jocelyn! Fall colors without being too much. I've been working on a little fall mini quilt, too - hoping to sew the binding on it this weekend. I agree on the best thing for us to do at our age is to keep moving - I'm trying to do that, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you know I rarely go to Starbucks - I don't know I just don't usually splurge on coffee. I do like cinnamon but in small amounts too. Love all your projects - it is still in the 80's here and windows are shut for a couple days and nights as it just doesn't want to cool off enough - maybe next week?

Anonymous said...

My dad’s Lebanese mountain heritage includes cinnamon and allspice in savory dishes like rice pilaf, stuffed zucchini, cabbage rolls, and grape leaves, and the national dish, kibbee. My mom learned how to make those dishes from his older sisters, so we grew up loving those flavors (and spearmint and lemon in both salads and dishes with tomato sauce). Utterly delicious! Greek cuisine shares a lot of those flavors, and certainly they can be found in variations throughout the Mediterranean. P.S. Before my dad started wearing British Sterling, and then Brut, he used Old Spice aftershave for decades. Any and all take me right back, but especially Old Spice!

Rosa said...

Old Spice! I didn't even know they still sold it. I remember guys choosing between it and Hi Karate (Hai Karate?). But Old Spice smelled better, like Jamaican rum.

Good on you for persisting with the shoulder presses! You've inspired me to get out my dumbbells and start doing some arm exercises.

Jackie said...

Cooling off here, but we are to get some warmer weather during next week. I had hoped to move things around a bit this week, but will wait until next week (near the end).

I love the smell of cinnamon and we used to dab Dad's Old Spice on our cold sores. Man that burned!!!!

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your plus quilt is so cheery looking. Hey, years ago I visited Baltimore, MD and at the time there was a McCormick Spice Factory out by the harbor. Every morning the made Cinnamon and the whole harbor area smelled like breakfast, so good!

Deb A said...

I love the smell of cinnamon, especially in the fall. I tend to hit Dunkin... and I'm boring with a large coffee, cream and sugar! I love seeing the birds as they migrate. It was fun seeing the Canada geese last winter when I took Emily to work the chapter animals at school. Pretty new project - I love the colors.

Linda said...

Good morning dear Jocelyn! I love oats but wouldn't want them in a drink. I feel the same about tapioca - I don't understand the attraction of "bubble tea". Just let me eat it warm with sugar - the way Mom used to make it! :D Love your fabric pull, fall colors always appeal. Your barbell idea is a great one!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun beverage! I love the smell of cinnamon too ;) Your fabric pull is very pretty, Autumn is here, and these colors work so well together.
Thank you for sharing and linking up!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the inset video. I watched the first way and thought, that is just what I need for some placemats I'm going to be making. I'll still have to bind them the regular way but quilting and piecing at the same time really speaks to me. I am a cinnamon fan (or maybe fanatic) I often have it on my toast in the morning. (with just a tad of sugar, definitely mostly cinnamon.) I remember Old Spice but have no idea if my dad wore it. I can't remember any specific after shave or cologne he wore. I've given up wearing perfume for the most part. Too many people are so allergic to it. It doesn't bother me to skip the fragrance. Have a great week.

QuiltGranma said...

My quilt progress at this time is slowly getting binding on a king size quilt. I load the needle three or four times and get as far as that will go then need to quit for the day else my hands will really hurt the next day. This is the second quilt I've finished in 11 years. We could not afford the long armer, but got a windfall, and hubby said I could spend "so much". It is so gratifying to be able to get them finished!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

You brought me back to my childhood with the Old Spice! That's what my daddy wore! I've never heard that saying, but I like it!! Thankfully fall is almost here. Our leaves are turning and the mornings have been in the mid to upper 60s, but highs in 80s during the day. I'm ready for a little cooler! Loving the QAYG quilt. Have fun with it!