Monday 4 September 2023

Easy Hexagon Quilt Beginnings, Other Enjoyments

 While Tony had put in his order for beans on toast, sausage on the side, I really didn't know what I wanted. I'm the cook of course, so I could get myself the same or anything if it's here in the fridge/cupboard to be found. But nothing was appealing to me and staring into the fridge didn't help. Does that ever happen to you? In the end I made a large cup of tea and had a bowl of yogurt and fruit with a slice of marmalade sourdough toast. I know...a bit boring mainly because I eat so much of this. Do you have a go to kind of simple quick meal in times like that? Thanking you in advance for suggestions...you were so good with the snack recommendations before. 

Here are some things that are not boring that I am enjoying. 

I read this book and liked it. Beth is reading it now.

I decided to make an Easy Hexagon Quilt out of those aqua fabrics I showed you.  I'm done the quilting on Book Club. That's in the sewing room awaiting binding which I hope to get to this week so I began a few hexagons. These are such bright happy colours to work with. More next time about this and the free pattern I'm using.
This used to be our band-aid container till I bought a fancy new one. I love old tins! 

While cleaning the windows outside, I noticed I could see the old and the new through it. Hydrangeas dried and in a vase from maybe my second summer here when I'd read you could do that... still looking good, and the ever growing larger English Ivy brought from the farm. Looking very healthy thanks to the sunshine of summer.  As you can probably tell, I take a lot of satisfaction in trying to grow things...emphasis on the trying.
 And old me... hair still with a life of its own...hmm, maybe this is what my white hair will be like from now on. You can see my kitchen window view there behind me; this time of year the greens surround this house. Do you think the colour of the hydrangeas could be called saffron?
I've changed up the order of my early morning activities.  I'm now having my swim before the walk. It's better to get it done early I've found as things come up some days and then I feel pushed to fit it in. The birds join me...the hawk I glimpse in the back field from time to time flew low above me one morning. What a treat!  Ned joins me-such a quiet fellow-doesn't bark or make a sound. Just lies down (he's a dog that will always choose lying down over sitting), contemplating his life; hope he thinks it's a good one. I certainly do.
And I hope your holiday weekend has gone well too. 

17 comments :

Nancy J said...

What camera do you have Jocelyn? Hugh had a larger Canon, but it became too heavy for his hands, so now he has a smaller Nikon. Not as user friendly.My Canon 550D is perfect for my smaller hands. Swimming, is that your own pool? Looks very tempting for the hot summer days.

Susie H said...

I love that picture of you in the window. You are so beautiful, inside & out. Yogurt is usually my go-to meal in a pinch or peanut butter on graham crackers. If there are hard-boiled eggs in the house, that also works on the spur of the moment. That Ned has got a great life!

Deb A said...

Love the photo with you in the reflection! My go to is cereal, grilled cheese sandwich, or some veggies with homemade dip. Veggie omelets are good too. Or soup. I'm always up for soup. Have a wonderful week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ned seems like the perfect companion for you, Jocelyn - calm and quiet - but always there. I'll enjoy seeing your new hexagon project with those pretty aqua prints! I, too, enjoy trying to grow things - there's definitely great satisfaction in whatever does grow. Fun photo and your hair is very pretty!

Jayne Honnold said...

What a comfort to read your post! Just the thing for a Monday! Have a blessed week!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photo! I'm sure it was a happy accident but then again, perhaps it was intentional.
Looking forward to seeing what you plan for those pretty aquas.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your hair gone wild. Sometimes I just comb it out in the morning and it looks like that but with a bit more gray I think, then as the day goes on the hair gets flatter and flatter I have no body.
I'm looking forward to seeing your hexie quilt - my go to light meal is usually cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers sometime the yogurt and fruit or cottage cheese.

Kim @ Purring Cottage said...

One of my go-to meals is to have cooked quinoa on hand throughout the week to which I add chopped veggies from my "jarcuterie" tray (a refrigerator organizing plastic box in which I keep jars of fresh veggies, homegrown microgreens, and fermented veggies) and often leftover meats or canned tuna. I top this salad with some homemade Italian or Asian dressing and feast happily.

Laura said...

Love the self portrait photo...so creative! I tend to grab a hard boiled egg and soup, or cheese and crackers. I also eat a lot of yogurt, fruit and granola. The aqua fabrics are very pretty! :)

MissPat said...

What a lovely selfie (of sorts). I've been known to have grilled cheese or cheese and crackers or hummus and veggies, or even a plain old PB&J. I can't get much enthusiam for cooking real meals, especially in summer.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Interesting colored hydrangea. I love your little hexie tin.

I have definitely been hungry but not have anything grab me in the fridge/cupboard. And I'll end up eating junk when that happens. :-(

Helen said...

What a clever photo. I love it... and I love the hair! Embrace it!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, that pool looks so inviting and refreshing. Is it heated and do you have to close it soon? Neddy looks so comfy there. Not a care in the world, just as it should be. I think you with your beautiful smile that reaches your eyes and your hair look fabulous. I remember my mom's hair was so very soft when it had turned all white. Is yours also? I still have a lot of dark hair but would love for it to all turn white. I think it's very fetching. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

I get it a rut at breakfast too and it can be rather boring. That picture at the window is super cool and Ned looks like a super cool pup. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Jenn Jilks said...

A lovely way to begin your day!
I love your hair, though!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Love the reflective photograph, Jocelyn!! Yes, I think those hydrangeas could be called saffron maybe! Love your morning routine and it surely sounds like Ned has a good life! I'm sure he realizes it too! Looking forward to seeing your large hexie quilt! Be wary if that ivy starts attaching itself to your house. We had some in our mailbox (not sure of variety) that ruined it! It stuck to it and was hard to get off! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings.

Michelle said...

I also like to get my exercise in early in the day. Otherwise I seem to get too busy! That is a great reflective shot and thanks for linking up.