Thursday 31 August 2023

Autumn Blooms, Hand Quilting, Dogs in Our Pond

 Our summer is surely leading to autumn. Don't need the weather people to tell us...it is cool each morning and there is a certain slant to the light. The angle is different and the sunlight itself is glittery but like it is filtered through the trees first. And of course, it is darkening earlier in the evening..."closing in" as my grandparents would say.  I love autumn too so it's all good.

The Ligularia, such a wonderful perennial, is blooming now in late summer. The very large deep yellow blooms open up as the rest of the flowers are fading. 


Daughter, Beth, has a tiny video on the Adventures of Pete and Abbey channel of them in our little pond here. Both love fetching. Ned not so much.
I've enjoyed rereading Anita Brookner's Hotel du Lac. I say rereading but I remembered very little of it so it was fresh to me. I love Anita's writing and enjoyed the way she introduced her main character, a single older woman named Edith, to us. So deserving of the Booker Prize way back in 1984.  

The RSC So Scrappy colour for September is aqua. I thought I'd have to skip this month because of a lack of aqua fabric and I'm not ordering any new fabric these days.  But when I dug deep I found this lot hiding with the greens on the left. Enough to work out some small project or other. And of course finding a project won't be any hardship at all. But a little disconcerting that I'd forgotten this lot completely!
I'm still doing my best trying to hand quilt the Book Club quilt and now almost finished. When it was draped over the chairs, I saw how the quilting lines showed up in the light so took a photo. I would like to see this all bound and finished this month. Will link to the Elm Street Quilts OMG September party to see if that will keep me on track. 
Thank you for good snack ideas. I too eat almonds and walnuts and baby carrots. And yes occasionally succumb to potato chips or popcorn. Only human, after all. :D Oh and still on that topic I read that a Snickers bar has more protein than some protein bars. But of course, there is the sugar. Sigh

 



21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL I love Snickers Bars but don't eat too many - same with potato chips. Fall coming sounds good now I just wish it would get busy and come!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm noticing a change in the light, too, Jocelyn. And your Ligularia are beautiful! It's so nice to have flowers that continue to bloom well into September - my marigolds do that for me. Pete and Abbey look like happy dogs. Those are pretty aqua- it will be fun to sew with them! Iam just pulling mine out, too.

Jenny said...

So nice to see the dogs happily frolicking in the pond.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh yes, Autumn is definitely closing in. It's nice and crisp in the morning and I forgot how early it gets dark by the end of August. It's hard to believe that tomorrow is September already. Oh gosh, Pete and Abbey in the pond just warms my heart. Labs are just the best dogs. Ooh, your aqua fabrics are so pretty. They will make a smashing RSC block for the month. I have been snacking on pistachios and string cheese. They are quite tasty together. I've found the nuts with no shells which makes them easy to take to work. The cheese is a naturally low-fat protein and the nuts are healthy and filling. I hope you are doing well. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

grammajudyb said...

So glad you found a forgotten stack of aquas! Nice! I'm adding that book title to my TBR (to be read) list. I need to know Edith! It certainly is getting dark sooner. Not a fan of that part, but I love Autumn too!

Julierose said...

I love Snickers too--too bad so much sugar--but once in a "Blue Moon"--like last night for us here --is okay with me...
Your Book Club quilt is coming along so well with your quilting.
I have begun to hand quilt my Autumn Stars which will be quite a long project--but that's okay as I find it so relaxing and rewarding to see a whole line of quilting appear!!
We are having Autumn-like weather here for a couple days with nice low dewpoints--but I hear that over the upcoming weekend those pesky dewpoints will rise up once more!! Yuck!!
Hugs, Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers sure are pretty and those pups were sure having fun in the water! Boy, I've not had a Snickers bar in forever!

PaintedThread said...

Pretty aquas! I like how your quilting is coming along. Felt like fall today, but we're heading back to high summer next week (highs in the 90s). I'm looking forward to more fall weather.

Mmm... Snicker bars... :-)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's starting to feel like Fall here too but I heard it's not going to last. Heat and humidity will return next week. Your hand quilting looks great! I'm going to remember that book when I'm looking for something to read.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Love all your aqua fabric, you certainly have a good selection there! xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Snickers bars used to be my favourite but now, on the very rare occasion that I indulge, it will always be either a Coffee Crisp or Kit Kat. I probably eat one a year, if that.
Looking forward to seeing what you create with all those pretty aquas. I know my stash would probably only yield one or two, if that.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love Midnight Milky Way, and still have two complete bags my grandson gave me several years ago for my birthday not eaten. I like potato chips with sandwiches once in awhile, but I still have potato chips leftover from last Christmas. I guess I'd better throw them out, or start getting snack size that you give to kids in their lunch. Love those aquas, one of my favorite colors!

Sara said...

I'm always looking for new book titles to add to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

How wonderful to discover a hidden stash of this month's RSC color tucked away. They look like a great start for September.

Linda said...

Your Book Club quilt is so pretty, and yes the quilting shows up in the best way. Fall cannot come soon enough here, but alas we still have high 90s in the forecast. The worst is the drought, all the vegetation is suffering. I'm trying to not think about it! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Carol in Texas said...

I am going to make a note of the Brookner book…..I’m not familiar with her writing. But I found the Claire Keegan book that you mentioned at our library and checked it out and read it. I liked the writing and the story very much. I had not heard about the scandal behind the story. I liked the main character so much….what a decent man. I am in a book club and keeping up with the monthly books at my slow reading pace is tough, so I have to squeeze in other books that I want to read also. I just got a copy of Ann Patchett’s newest book, Tom Lake. I am a fan of her writing so I’ll work that book in with the book club reads.

Jackie said...

What a pretty quilt and the stitching is showing up very nicely.

God bless.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your book club quilt is looking terrific! I added Hotel du Lac to my reading list. I'm always looking for a read and appreciate recommendations. So far, I haven't had a bad read! Snack. . .I'm a sucker for veggies and homemade hummus. . .I look forward to seeing what you do with the aqua bits you unearthed in your stash. ..

Chantal said...

Your fabric selection is more than enough for a nice project. I'm sure you will find something cute to sew with it. Love your Book Club quilt. The finish line is so close. I cut an apple before getting the potato chip bag out. An apple with regular or salt and vinegar chips is very good. I won't eat as many chips when paired with the apple and I add one more fruit to my diet. Anywho! Good luck with your OMG! ;^)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty flowers, and fun dogs! The Book Club quilt looks fabulous, and the light does it justice.These forgotten aqua fabrics are beautiful, you will find a way to use them ;)
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great selection of AQUA to work with this month, Jocelyn!!