Tuesday 22 August 2023

Book Club Quilting, Quiltmania #156, Price Shock

 Early afternoon here and Tony has his tea and biscuit snack. I have to tell you about these biscuits that he likes so much. I was in a dollar store recently looking for dog throw balls and saw these biscuits...several shelves of all the different kinds. And they were a whole dollar cheaper than at the grocery store!

 I don't know how this works...wouldn't the regular grocery store get them at the same wholesale price as a dollar store outlet?  You know where I'll be buying these from now on! 

Happy mail...my Quiltmania magazine #156 arrived which is always a treat. And you know I spend a lot of time with the gardening books at this time of year. All I have I inherited from Tony's deceased wife who was quite the amazing gardener in her day. She filled several notebooks each season with what she grew and how it fared. They would have soil delivered by the truck load when she started the vegetable garden. I'm in awe of such commitment!

Below is a small nest found on the ground by the pond shed, no doubt brought down by the high winds we've had at times this summer. Every year Phoebes nest in the end of the structure that has an open attic. It was interesting to see the bits of old insulation the bird had used in the building.
One kind of Coneflower, aging now. Which reminded me of Anna Maria Horner's fabric featuring these wonderful flowers. And I was reminded of that by Karen's post HERE.
It's been a hectic several weeks...last week I had to leave the property almost every day for appointments, meetings, etc. I don't like that and most of it feels like work especially the ones dealing with financial stuff. My eyes glaze over and try as I might, I lose concentration no matter how simply and earnestly the poor young men are explaining things. 

But I'm ending the summer feeling better emotionally and physically than when it began. Inside the house we've settled down and established a routine that works well now.  The daily swim and walks certainly help me.  And of course, it goes without saying how the slow stitching helps calm the mind. 
Here the hand quilting of Book Club quilt has begun. Actually I have three blocks now finished and hope to get better photos soon. Those erasable pencils are working well.
Hope your August month is going well too. Enjoy every minute of all the good things you can pack into it.


20 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I ordered the Quiltmania magazine and yet to receive a copy. I think I need to send them a note inquiring on where it is!

Nancy J said...

I tried so many marking pencils and have found the heat or friction erasable Ixion pens work well. Different colours for dark or light fabrics.It's so good when we find one that works so well.Food prices, how they vary so much from store to store amazes me,what a bargain for Tony !!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sometimes the dollar stores around here surprise us with what they have, too! I'm not familiar with those cookies, but will have to look and see if we have them here. A cookie with your coffee or tea is a fun treat! Enjoy stitching on your book club quilt, Jocelyn. It has such pretty and refreshing colors!

MissPat said...

I'm so glad you are now in a bettert frame of mind. Getting outdoors and seeing and smelling the flowers certainly helps brighten one's mood. I've been in the quilting doldrums for a while now. Maybe coller weather will help me get back to it.
Pat

Denise :) said...

Haha! Dollar General (and other dollar stores) "operate by selling liquidated, outdated, or otherwise cheaply acquired goods and inventory, typically when another chain store or distributor goes out of business." I'm always super careful to check expiration dates when I buy food there -- especially with their refrigerated products! But cookies ... that's a bargain! Love your beautiful coneflowers! And that Book Club quilt is wonderful! :)

Jenny said...

I'm so pleased to read that you are feeling much better now, and making the most of the warm weather which always make you feel better. The photo in your blog header is amazing, well done on taking such a wonderful snap. I've just started a hand quilting project goo, although mine is big stitch quilting using a thicker thread. Goodness knows how long it will take me, but that's not the point of hand quilting, is it.

Jackie said...

August is moving by way too quickly. It seems like it just arrived and we are almost at the end.

I do so love those colours in your quilt. Enjoy your slow stitching.

God bless.

Julierose said...

I can see how those flowers look like AMH's fabric for sure;))) Sure is nice to find an "erasable" pencil that really does erase!! Enjoy your quilting...looking forward to seeing how this comes along hugs, Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better now. That's a pretty good deal on the biscuits!

Out To Pasture said...

My eyes also glaze over when dealing with financial matters, Jocelyn. I'm under the perhaps mistaken belief that if one takes care of the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves. Fell in love with cone flowers and intend to plant more next year. I love your book club quilt. Lovely, complimentary colours!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have that same orange echinacea in my garden. I just purchased it last year and it has lots of flowers. So pretty! Hope this week is calmer and gives you more time for doing the activities you enjoy. Lovely quilt in progress.

Linda said...

I always look forward to your posts - I feel like we are chatting! :) Love that you are hand quilting your Book Club quilt.
We used to have soil and soil amendments delivered, and I kept copious notes. Now I just take a photo of what I'm planting and make a note for next year as to whether or not to buy that plant again - lol! I kind of miss being a more conscientious gardener, but I cannot be one here, because I am a target for chiggers. Never had a problem in my life until we moved here!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I used to love hand quilting but my hands started to hurt too much. That's when I learned to machine quilt. I'm glad you're feeling better and have a better routine. My husband loves to landscape and garden but he would never keep a journal. She must have been a great gardener.

Deb A said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better as the summer moves on. I miss having a successful garden. It was so much easier up north to have one. Your photo's are always putting a smile on my face. Such a talented photographer you are. Have a wonderful rest of your week.

Marsha Cooper said...

I want to know more about the book club quilt.

LA Paylor said...

beautiful, Glad things are feeling better for you, glad to see you, trying to see some of you lovelies despite my own body issues
LeeAnna

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I haven't seen Voortman cookies in years. They're likely in the stores still but I just haven't noticed.
That nest is certainly a great feat of engineering isn't it.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Great find on the cookies, Jocelyn. I'm glad the walk and swim are helping you and you are in a better frame of mind than at the beginning of summer. I admire your hand quilting - that is not something my hands would allow. I have enough trouble getting the binding on by hand at times! I've not seen those erasable pencils. I currently use either a chalk pencil (thin line) or the Frixion pens. You just have to be careful with them though! Thanks for linking up with us at Monday Musings.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, your Book Club quilt is so pretty. It's so nice and relaxing to slow stitch. I've been doing a lot of that this summer. I hope you enjoy the fall, although it looks like we're going to get a mini heat wave next week! Take care and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Glad things are settling in for you! your hand stitch project look s amazing!