Thursday 3 August 2023

Muffins, Slow Stitching, Goodbye Endeavour

 When a trio of turkey vultures were circling very low over our heads one afternoon last week, I had the thought that perhaps I'd brought too much of wild nature to this land (with all the feeding of the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.). Turkey vultures are unnerving in size with amazing wing spans-up to 6 feet.  A walk through the back woods and we confirmed it wasn't us they were after...we found what was attracting them- a poor young raccoon had met its demise somehow.  We beat a hasty retreat and let nature take its course.

 Just past the height of summer now and everything is still buzzing and blooming thanks to periods of extreme heat and downpours of rain. The giant Hostas are now in bloom. 

The Hydrangea bushes took quite a beating from heavy overnight rainfalls recently. The bush featured here I transferred from a spot in the back area a few years ago. It stayed a little puny for a couple of seasons but has really taken off the last two summers.
 I watched this tiny Gartersnake test the air by poking its head in and out of a hole between the back patio stones. The sun beats down there so these harmless fellows are often sighted soaking up the heat. 
 I recently made a batch of nutty muffins recipe here at Epicurious. Tony is very fond of muffins with his cup of tea. Of course, I can't resist adding secret ingredients like a few chia seeds and a bit of flaxseed powder. He is also a reluctant fruit eater so I try my best to insert a little here and there, :D

That is his very own Bunnykins plate from his childhood...over 80 years old now. And do you recognize the character mug??? Jack loved these characters growing up and just had to have that mug. 

Always stitching...slow stitching that is getting done surprisingly fast these days with my full attention.

And the back of the stitches...I think as even as I will ever manage!

Thank you for the kind words about my selfie in the last post...my "all hair and teeth" photo, :D

We watched the last season of Endeavor on PBS and felt a little sad saying goodbye to the characters.

 I'll sign off today with how Thursday always bid Morse goodbye.  

                                                                 "Mind how you go."

Linking as always with wonderful parties found at...Not Afraid of ColorA Stitch in TimeWendy's Quilts and MoreQuilting Patchwork AppliqueFloral Friday Foto and It's a Small Town Life

25 comments :

Anonymous said...

I also am so sad that Endeavour has ended. Love your hosta - mine are not their best this year due to our lack of rain in BC.
Marian

Nancy J said...

Your Hosta is stunning, a friend who is a very talented quilter once did some thread stitching on a printed onto fabric hosta leaf.Her class was some years ago, I did a Tibouchina flower. Others did sunflowers.

Jeanna said...

Your hosta and hydrangeas are so pretty. The leaves on the hosta are super healthy! Your hand quilting stitches are very even and consistent, great job!

Anonymous said...

I will be missing Endeavour as well. What a great run. Remarkable characters.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We loved Endeavour, and will miss it, too. Didn't you love the very last scene where young Endeavour is driving out and passes the other car driving in, and you see his older eyes in the other rear view mirror? We're going to try the Inspector Lewis show on BritBox next - maybe it will have a similar feel. Those muffins look delicious! And your quilting stitches are lovely, as always!

Jenny said...

We havent seen the final series of Endezvour yet, looking forward to it when it arrives here. Although we did get a taste recently, when there was a preview of the wedding, and the actors were talking about their characters.

Libby in TN said...

Your stitching is lovely. I gave up on Endeavor when the young Endeavor came on board. Just not quite the same (plus timing of the episode airings didn't fit my schedule).

Robin said...

What a delightful and interesting post. I liked everything about it.

Jackie said...

I am also sad that Endeavour is over.

Love your hydrangeas. So many blooms.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Awww, that's sad about the raccoon. WOW, those muffins sure do look yummy!

PaintedThread said...

Grommit! Those hostas look amazing. We were sad to see Endeavour end, too

Lin said...

How amazing to see those huge birds close up! Your hosta and hydrangea look amazing, I just love hosta leaves. On the whole we enjoyed the Endeavour series although it did go through a slightly dodgy period! That one where he went to Venice was not at all believable. However the last series was good and always best to go out on a high. xx

Linda said...

Your Hosta is amazing! I planted one under a crape myrtle in the spring, and it has a few brown leaves but seems to be surviving the extreme heat so far. Love your husband's mug - is that a Goofy mug? I agree, muffins are even better with tea. ;) Your stitches look beautiful!

MissPat said...

That hosta is stupendous. It would keep my deer snacking for several days. I had a "Sum and Substance' which should have reached that size, but apparently it wasn't happy where it was planted. The voles eventually did it in by eating the roots.
Pat

Kathleen said...

I enjoy Endeavor and had stopped watching, this is a good reminder to pick it up!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your slow stitching. It looks really good on your quilt. Your plants are doing so well this summer. Ours are all blossoming too. I wonder what it will look like in September. I feel everything starts to change during that month. I'm trying to enjoy the summer!

Annie said...

Your hosts is amazing and your post is filled with smiles so thanks for linking up.
Hugs,
Annie x

Michelle said...

I am impressed with your hosta AND hydrangea! Both are beautiful. I have two small hydrangea and I keep wondering when they will really grow. You give me hope! Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have PBS Passport, so I can watch ALL the Endeavor, Lewis, and original Morse shows. I also was sad to see the very last one ever. Can you imagine how the orchestra must feel? They have performed EVERY bit of the music for all three series. That's over 100 performances led by Barrington Pheloung.

Your hand sewing reminds me of my grandmother's. Yours is beautifully done, too. That is definitely smile worthy.

Carol in Texas said...

What a pleasure it is to see your beautiful flowers. Here in central Texas we have the extreme heat but no rain and our fields are brown and baking. I’ve given up on my gardening till fall when hopefully temperatures will moderate and we might get some rain! My main survivors are lantanas. Hostas don’t stand a chance here in our alkaline soil. But I love seeing photos of hostas. I think they are such a beautiful plant….as are your hydrangeas!

K Reeves said...

Beautiful flowers Jocelyn, and how cool to still have one’s toddler plate after all this time!

Susie H said...

I too am not fond of watching Nature take its course but it's inevitable. Your hand quilting looks very nice & even -- both sides! Thanks for the muffin recipe. I'll give it a go in the near future.

Karrin Hurd said...

Your hostas are gorgeous, and your hydrangeas look a lot better than my poor hydrangeas. Love your slow stitching project!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We see vultures pretty much all summer long here. In the spring and fall they congregate over the river and generally there's upwards of a hundred of them floating in the air around our apartment. Pretty impressive sight! Equally as impressive is seeing your beautiful hosta.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty tiny red stitches, they look fantastic! Ah, Wallace and Gromit, love them too ;)) Your garden is luxurious, beautiful flowers!
Thank you for sharing all these beauties, and linking up!