Tuesday 29 August 2023

Hand Quilting, Flowers, Favourite Snack

Walking through the garden this morning, I noted the beautiful Japanese Anemones were alive with bees. My header photo features just that. Someone before me loved these perennials as there are four healthy patches of them here. 

Below is a weed, maybe Fireweed, not sure exactly what, but I do admire the intense pinks lining the pond path. This has tufted tops. 
Here is a close up of Purple Loosestrife which is in a small meadow directly behind the house. It is invasive but has not spread here at all, just a few sprigs here and there each summer. 
Early morning today I had underdressed for my walk. With the season changing, it was 9C and felt cool. But that was okay as it made me move faster. 

Lately I've been getting ads for these and wonder if they'd be a good way to corral certain projects. From Madam Sew...anyone tried them?? 

On the weekend I got further along with my hand quilting on the Book Club quilt. I have eleven of the sixteen blocks finished. Some are easy outline.
And others are  circles for a change so the stitcher doesn't get bored.

Here is a favourite snack of mine, usually eaten mid afternoon when feeling peckish.  Cucumber and hummus, or sometimes with bell pepper strips. I know it isn't for everyone, but I love hummus.
I struggle to find healthy foods that will hit the spot for snacking. Any suggestions???

I came across this little poem and believe the words to be so true. The tiniest of kind gestures from strangers are meaningful.


It was only a sunny smile

And little it cost in the giving

But like morning light, it scattered the night

And made the day worth living.

Credited to F. Scott Fitzgerald
 

And the world feels like a beleaguered place just now. It needs all the kindness we can muster.  

And where there is loads of kindness to be found is at these linky parties... Songbird DesignsAlycia QuiltsIt's a Small Town LifeConfessions of a Fabric Addict and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

18 comments :

Unknown said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog, and check it out daily.
I’m a needle nana (no blog)on the other side of our country.
Cathy

Carol R. said...

I haven't blogged since January, but I do read all of your entries. Just wanted you to know. :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The anemones are gorgeous.
See through bags are more popular because venues require them. I haven't tried them myself.
Snacks, making your own trail mix can be fun. I have to remember to not be too heavy on chocolate covered raisins. I like one or two dates as a snack, and cucumbers in apple cider vinegar.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

two of the foods I munch on are hummus and cucumbers also. I also lunch a variety of nuts. Your flowers all look wonderful - it is still hot here looking forward to the cooler weather you mention - it was nice this morning in the low 70's on the porch but quickly rose to 90

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Don't you just love to see the bees come to your plants?! I always feel like I'm doing something good for the world by planting the flowers they are attracted to. Your Book Club quilting looks wonderful - and what a fun idea to try different designs in different blocks. I love hummus, too!

Daisy Debs said...

Yes here in Cornwall U.K.Cooler here too . Leaves on the trees are beginning to change colour . My Cherry tree is already dropping her leaves around on the lawn .Almost a full moon tonight . It looks huge and pink and low in the sky just now . 🌔🍁🍂 xxx

Libby in TN said...

Beautiful flowers. I like the Sabra red pepper hummus.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your flowers are all so pretty and that blue quilt, WOW. Hey, I sure agree, the world sure needs more kindness.

Pamela Dempsey said...

The purple flowers are so beautiful, I love that shade! The garlic hummus is my favorite and I enjoy baby carrots, bell peppers and tortilla chips with it. 😋

Laura said...

I also read all of your posts, and you are right...much kindness is needed and it really doesn't take a lot of effort to be kind! I like to make up my own trail mix for snacking. I also like hummus and crackers or raw veggies. :)

PaintedThread said...

Some weeds are really pretty! Hummus is good with any veggie. I've been making baba ganoush. I need to keep mixing up my snacking stuff, and some days NOTHING is satisfying.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your flowers are so pretty! I love hummus too. I usually dip baby carrots. I try to eat healthy but there are days I do eat potato chips! (Shhh! It's a secret!!)

Linda said...

That flower and bee in your header is spectacular. I've actually allowed some big weedy bushes to grow in our front garden this year. They do shade the soil, and gosh they almost look like regular plants - lol! I've seen lots of ads for Madam Sew on Instagram but haven't tried any of the products yet. I love hummus but unfortunately I like it with Fritos or tortilla chips, also with Stacy's bagel chips - all carbs. I like a good nut to snack on - preferably low salt or unsalted - dry roasted or fresh, doesn't matter.

Angela said...

Hummus and veggies is my go to healthy snack as well. I also like to munch on mixed nuts, maybe not quite so healthy.

Beth French said...

Hello from sunny Maine! I always enjoy your blog. I struggle with good snacks, too, not to mention lunch. I will be glad when fall arrives and I can make soup again. One snack that I like is veggies and tzaziki dip but often it is peanut butter and crackers to tide me over until suppertime.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your header! I love hummus too, usually eat it with carrots and celery and cucumber . I purchased some nice zippered bags from Madam Sew to store 2-3 quilts on

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great header photo! I think all the hype about how invasive purple loosestrife would be and how it was absolutely going to destroy many habitats hasn't come to pass and that's a good thing.
As for the bag you were asking about - I don't have any bags, but I have a flat zippered pouch made from what looks to be the same material. It's great.
Snack food for me is generally a few plain almonds. On the weekends we might indulge in a homemade cookie with our afternoon coffee.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What a fantastic photo of the flower and bee, Jocelyn! Your hand quilting looks great! I really like hummus as well.