Friday 25 August 2023

Two More Thrift Finds, Redwork, Free Patterns

 Old and still beautiful Day Lily and very young Maple tree...

There's a reason cups of tea/coffee are often shown with a backdrop of a cozy quilt/stitching in hoop or/yarn and hook, etc. Our comforts for mind and body are important to us. I honestly don't know what I would do without mine. I also love reading about yours as I think you all know by now.

As you know I also love nothing better than a good poke about in a flea market/thrift store where I challenge myself to see what I can find for $20; have to up that to $25 these days. Recently I found this mug in perfect condition, a Royal Doulton 1815 series, for $3.99. I knew these mugs run from $20 to $25 and I love the blue/green dreamy like colour. It holds a goodly amount of morning coffee and perfectly matches my scrappy hand stitched mug rug. I later read an article about how Royal Doulton achieves the smooth, chip resistant finish but I think I'm the only one with an interest in that. I was actually looking for what name they gave this colour. Apparently, it's blue. :D

At that same time, I found this. I'm  pointing to the bag of threads...DMC perle 8, my favourite, with  another brand I'm not familiar with but the same size. Someone must have had a project requiring a lot of greens. Not at all shopworn and also $3.99.  
And not from a thrift store... on the right...I buy Walker's Milk Chocolate Eclairs when I see them usually in Home Sense or Winners. I'm not a sweets lover, but do like one of these now and then like a little treat.
Here is my progress on Mom's Redwork Embroidery project. I really enjoyed stitching these birds. The Atlantic Puffin on the left is Newfoundland's provincial bird and the Ptarmigan on the right is common in both Labrador and Newfoundland. It is also found in many Canadian provinces and can be a food source. 
Working with the fine threads made me realize how shabby my nails are just now. I keep a file handy as the threads do catch.  I can't keep the gloves on when in the garden and dirt is terribly hard on nails. So it's my own fault.

More Free Patterns for you to check out.

Feedmill Fabrics has a bank of lovely free patterns. I noted one by Anni Downs and the Kim Diehl pattern called Biscuits and Jam is beautiful.

At Angela Pingel's pretty site you'll find several free patterns. I downloaded her pattern called Gift Box as I have quite a lot of strings in my scrap basket. 

I'm wishing you a calm day, one where stress has been kept at bay and you are enjoying the hours moving projects, whatever they may be, forward.

Check out this post at Not Afraid of Color where others are also sharing good stuff this week. Also joining other lovely linky parties at Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

11 comments :

Gretchen Weaver said...

You found some good thrifts at the shop. I can't dig around in the flowerbeds/garden either with gloves on. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty mug, and definitely perfect with your mug rug! Great find on the embroidery threads, too. Looks like the redwork embroidery is coming along nicely. I love the puffins! We're having a cool, rainy day here - such a lovely change from a couple weeks of above 90s.

Jenny said...

I need gloves when I do my spasmodic gardening duties. I hate getting dirt under my nails, and put it down to obviously being terribly rich and important in a previous life, maybe I lived the life as a princess!

Jackie said...

Wow, you got some really great deals thrifting. Good finds there.

I can't wear gloves in the garden either, they make me feel very clumsy.

God bless.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have to say that you found two really great 'steals' at the thriftie! I would have brought those home too.
Thanks for the fun links!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang, we've not been to a flea market in forever. I guess fleas and cats are not a good thing. When I retired I mostly gave up coffee but when I drive by a local bistro with the best coffee I jut can't resist. Oh, anywhere I go I drive past it LOL! I hope you all have a fabulous and calm weekend!

Susie H said...

The Royal Doultton cup was truly a great find!

Linda said...

I love the color of that Day Lily. Did you plant the maple tree? It is another favorite. And I love, love that mug, what a great find! I had not heard of that candy, but I Googled it - sounds heavenly. One of the ladies in an Alaskan show that I watch often hunts and eats ptarmigan - have you ever tried it?

PaintedThread said...

What great finds! I love the color of that mug, too.

Nancy said...

That photo of the bee in the flower in your header is amazing. He looks very industrious.
Great find with the perle cotton! (I want to live where you do because you find so many wonderful things in your local thrift stores.)
Your red work pieces look like they've been drawn with pen, not embroidered!

CathieJ said...

Great thrift finds. I am having a love/hate relationship with the local thrift stores as I try to donate some of my mother's items. They are getting very picky lately. Most won't take books. Some won't take kitchen items or crafts. I am constantly emptying bags in my trunk to repackage what the individual thrift store will accept. The one thrift store that would take almost anything has closed.