Saturday 19 August 2023

Christmas QAL's, Gardening, Cod Fishing

 I have written about how I kept the wild Mullein in the garden because the birds and bees like it. It was interesting to hear from several readers about Mullein in their gardens. I guess there is a movement to protect this valuable plant and it is now being harvested for medicinal uses. A great article on this weed is here... Mighty Mullein, thanks Reg for that link. I also found this plant featured on fabric. I had no idea of the long and ancient history we have with Mullein. 

 I was fortunate to capture a little Downy Woodpecker enjoying my Mullein plants on Friday. It spent ages balancing on its tail moving up and down the length of the plant getting what from it exactly, I'm not sure. Sorry, photo is overexposed by bright sun and the photo adjustments are even less than I had on the former Acer, sigh.

Back inside...While I'm learning about how to quilt Painted Lady and had the batting all spread out, I thought I'd choose another WIP to get layered. I chose this one from a QAL back in 2020...the Book Club Hand Pieced QAL which I enjoyed and wished a similar one could be run again. 

And this morning here it is all sandwiched with its pin puckers. This way if the mood should strike me to work on it, it will be all ready and waiting.
Two Free QAL's for Christmas Stitching
Sherri at A Quilting Life has been generously running free BOM's for a few years now. Her latest is being sewn in reds and greens for Christmas. Very detailed instructions and can also be sewn in other colours of course. In fact I thought of autumn colours. 


Jessica Dayon also has a number of  free QAL's at her site including this one called the Holly Jolly Block of the Week. Loads of instructions too and videos. Thank You, Jessica!

I've been busy! We have Petey staying with us while his family is on their annual trip to Newfoundland. We've started to move wood from the pile down in the meadow up to our veranda for the winter fires. So happy to have older grandson, Jack's, help with that.  And we've been working on reinforcing the fencing in the back yard so the dogs can't get out and wildlife can't get in. 
Meanwhile, here is a happy photo of younger grandson, Robbie, successfully cod fishing in Newfoundland.
While there may not be cod fishing in your weekend, hope it is wonderful too!





23 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a cute young boy and his fish he must have been proud of his catch and so nice that his older brother can help with the firewood and other chores. It is still to hot here to think of prep work for winter

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Definitely no cod fishing LOL but I am having a lovely weekend of crocheting!

Sara said...

A very handsome grandson proud of his catch. We had lots of woodpeckers early this summer but I haven't seen any the last couple of weeks. The BOM or BOW - any quilt-alongs are always tempting me.

Quilting Babcia said...

It has been decades since I've tasted fresh cod, not as available here as it once was. Great photo of your young grandson, was this his first catch?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty quilt top, it's nice to have one basted ready to be quilted. These are lovely blocks.
It looks like Robbie enjoyed cod fishing!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today ;)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You always take the best pictures and I enjoy seeing them. We will not be fishing at all this weekend. We're trying to dry out from yet another rain storm. What a wet summer we've been having! It's so nice that today is dry and breezy. Such a nice change!

Julierose said...

Lovely quilts in progress, Jocelyn;))) I've been watching Jessica's YT videos--I agree, she gives really good instructions...I like that Christmas one a lot...
That is quite a catch for your little fisherman;)))
Enjoy the rest of your weekend...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We have mullein here and downy woodpeckers, too, but I can't say that I've seen them together! I do wonder what the woodpecker gets out of it - bugs? Your Book Club top is pretty - I like those colors together! I enjoyed that QAL, too - glad to see you getting it back out to quilt. How fun for Robbie to catch his first cod- did they get to eat it?

Jenny said...

It's good to get a quilt all pinned up and ready to go. I always prepare the binding at this stage too, do you do his step too?
I always enjoy your wildlife photos too, so different to what I see in my backyard.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'd never heard of Mullen until I read your post. Now I know what our neighbor has at the base of his driveway. I'll never belittle that tall yellow spike again.

Jackie said...

No cod fishing here on the prairies, but that fish is almost as big as your handsome grandson.

Glad you had help moving firewood.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That woodpecker sure is a cute one. Hey, Painted Lady sure is beautiful. That was one nice cod catch too.

Libby in TN said...

Left Newfoundland a couple days ago, heading to Halifax tomorrow.

Linda said...

Robbie is such a cutie! I'm sure Ned is a happy boy now that Petey is around. Enjoy your Sunday Jocelyn!

Judy S. said...

Thanks for posting on my blog! I loved seeing your pretty quilts and current project. It sure is fun having grand children visit, isn't it? Your grandson is a cutie and deserves to be proud of his big catch!

Marie said...

It's always great to have a quilt ready for hand stitching whenever the feeling moves you. Love the look of that first QAL and it would be terrific in autumn colours, too.

Susie H said...

The grandkids are adorable and that fish is HUGE!! I didn't know a thing about mullein so thank you for the link. Imagine! I've been pulling them out of the ground and tossing them. Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt. Your grandson is adorable. Hope you have a great week!

Nancy said...

Your grandson looks so pleased with himself! He is adorable.
That's a great photo of the woodpecker.
I read somewhere recently that mullein was (or may have been, it could be a myth) that cowboys used it in place of toilet paper because of its downy leaves.

Denise :) said...

What a fun weekend, filled with all the things!! :)

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your hand pieced top is lovely. I can see why you enjoyed the quilt along. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/23/wednesday-wait-loss-342

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A happy little grandie with his catch - what fun. Wonderful woodpecker photo...I wonder if he was getting some type of insect to nibble on.

K Reeves said...

Now that’s a fish! Nice to have some extra arms and legs to help with firewood, not to mention all that energy!