Thursday 10 August 2023

Scrap Busting Quilt, Caramel Popcorn McFlurry, Eye Doc, Rare Find

A most wonderful sighting...This is the Promethea Moth I had the good fortune to spy near the big garage. They've been sighted there in past summers so I do keep watch this time of year. From the kitchen window I spied something on the stones, got a better look with the binoculars and ran out with the camera. I got to take exactly one shot when the battery died. So here it is. What makes this sighting remarkable is this moth will only be alive in this adult stage of its life journey for 24 hours. This one was very large... if I'd gotten the chance I would have shown it to be about the size of my hand.
I think it is a female because of the lighter colouring of the wings.  Nature is awesome!

I hadn't had a McDonald's McFlurry since before the pandemic. We got take out from there recently and I saw they had a new kind of McFlurry, a caramel popcorn one, which caught my attention. I used to enjoy the Skor McFlurry. Anyway, we decided to give it a try. It was good but the popcorn was soggy naturally so I think I would still prefer the Skor choice. Anyone else try the caramel popcorn one?

Machine Stitching is Fast!
Some who have been with me for a while, like years ago now, might remember these scrappy squares I stitched using all scrap bin pieces set around black centers. I'd gotten them to the point of long strips hanging over the sewing room door where they've hung literally in limbo. Back in early June I'd picked out a light cream jelly roll to stitch sashings onto them sometime during this summer's finishing binge. That hadn't happened yet as other projects kept getting priority.  But yesterday afternoon in the sewing room I brushed by the strips and on impulse decided to sit at the machine and get this one done. So a flimsy at last! The finished size fits the dining room table so I think I'll use it as a table topper or maybe a cover for a trunk in one of the bedrooms.  Certainly is super scrappy!
A close up...to be layered up soon!

So far so good with the summer sewing finishing plans.  
  
I've been busy with appointments and sneaked in one for myself...to the eye doctor in the nearest little town. I haven't had such a checkup in years. We get to enjoy one free eye appointment a year with our Canadian health plan but some extras will cost you. There are two scans I was interested in- the Octomap which examines the retina and an Optical Coherence Topography Scan which examines the layers more closely. I thought it a good thing to do these as my DNA profile listed a possibility of late onset macular degeneration. After a very thorough examination of my eyes- my old lady eyes because the doctor looked to be about 13 to me!...never had eye exams like that in my life, all was excellent. The scans showed no sign of MD whatsoever, no cataracts, glaucoma or retinal tears. I was very relieved and feel very fortunate. My eyes and the fingers on my right hand are precious items which I know you can all identify with. 
I hope you are able to take good care of your precious bits too. 


22 comments :

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Good morning and Happy Thursday, Jocelyn. I saw a moth similar to yours at my garage. It has been there for days. So pretty and fascinating. So glad to hear that the eye exam went well.

Linda said...

That moth is spectacular. I've never tried a McFlurry, but it sounds similar to a Blizzard, so yes bring it on! I think those strips reached out to you to "make me next!" ;) They made a very pretty quilt.
Such good news about your eyes, and yes, doctors are all teenagers to us now. It's amazing how young they look. I remember taking Mom to the heart doctor, and one time when he had left the room she turned to me and said, "he's really easy on the eyes" (and he was!), and I was so shocked - she had never said anything like that to me in all my life - lol!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is quite a moth - so great you got the picture! I love your scrappy squares top - those are my favorite designs with all that color. Great job getting those rows sewn together. It's always good to get those important health exams taken care of - and you don't even have cataracts - that's wonderful! I think those are pretty common in people our age. Lots of friends here (and me, too) are having cataract surgery.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I really like that moth. That scrappy quilt looks great! I don't think I've ever had a McFlurry... now I'm craving ice cream. :-)

Roxanne said...

I recently found your blog and so enjoy hearing your stories of life as you are experiencing it. I had to chuckle over your comment abou the age of the doctor who did your exams - I can so relate.
Have a wonderful day!

Libby in TN said...

Fascinating moth! So lucky to see one in its short life span. Congrats on the finish. Yes, keeping eyes and hands healthy are essential to those of us who stitch. I'm currently cruising and have brought along a hand-piecing project I started several years ago.

Angela said...

That moth is amazing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that moth I used to see them a lot but I haven't seen that one in a long time. I get my eyes checked every year - do need to pay for some of the extra's but because of a medication I am on I have to do it yearly

Jenny said...

We've all got "old lady eyes" these days! It's great that the examinations showed no problems at all, that must put your mind to rest.
I've never had a MacFlurry of any kind, wonder what I'm missing?

Jackie said...

What a gorgeous moth and how interesting that they only stay in the adult stage for 24 hours.

In Saskatchewan the only people that get free eye exams are those with diabetes. Our extra medical coverage used to take care of the cost of a regular exam, but they changed it now and they no longer do (same with some of the dental things). Harvey has those exams you talked about every 6 months as he has glaucoma.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That moth sure is pretty and Scrappy is beautiful! Hey, I think I'd pass on the soggy popcorn too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a neat moth! Good for you for snapping the picture before he flew away. Nice scrappy quilt. Don’t you wonder sometimes why we wait so long to finish some projects? I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple of years ago. Glad your eyes are doing well!

Susie H said...

What a great picture you managed of the gypsy moth. It's a beauty! Glad your parts are still in good working order. Great job with so many finishes this summer and this one is a great one too! Love all the colors.

Nancy J said...

I think my eyes are the most important of all my senses. I have a very detailed photo taken every year as I have a freckle in one eye, and my optometrist keeps a very good watch in case it changes.Great news for your eyes, and the free part is a huge bonus.Love the close up of your quilt, the black really shows off those blocks.And a moth that stands out, what a miracle to see it and then get a photo.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful picture of the moth! Yes our eyes are very important. We both had Cataract surgery in 2019 and I still miss wearing my glasses, but it is great that my vision is 100% better. I have dry eye pretty bad but the drops help. I like your scrappy quilt - happy that you stopped and put it together. Will you hand quilt it or quilt it on the domestic. Hugs

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That moth is incredible! I've never seen one other than in pictures.
Alas, McFlurry's are not on my list of things I would eat (can't tolerate soft ice cream) but I simply can't imagine putting popcorn in one. That's just plain weird.
Good for you for a finished flimsy - I love the scrappy look.
And even better, a good report from your eye test!

Chantal said...

That moth is simply GORGEOUS! And so is your scrappy quilt. Love it! Congrats on acing your exam ... your eye exam, that is. ;^)

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Nature is awesome but I am not a moth lover - they give me the creeps and make me shudder LOL
Your quilt looks fab, so colourful.
Jillxo

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that kind of moth live around here? I’ll have research that! Ooh! I can’t quite wrap my head around popcorn McFlurry! But the Oreo ones are pretty yummy!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a beautiful moth, it would make a great quilt design! Love the eyes on her wings ;) Speaking of eyes, so glad yours are in good health.
Well done with this long lasted project! Your scrappy quilt looks pretty, and it's going to be a great table topper.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

grammajudyb said...

I thought my comment had disappeared into cyberspace yesterday. But no! It showed up as anonymous!!! Above.

I'll post this more carefully. It's Judy at Busy Hands Are Happy Hands.

Susan said...

That is a very fun scrap quilt - well done!