Sunday 13 August 2023

Chocolate Cake, Monarch Applique, Garden Blooms

 It is a surprise each time I step out the front door and look at the flower beds. SO much growing and flowering without me having to lift a finger these days. Summer '23 will be one to note; I could say this summer has been good on flowers, which is phrasing used at home. 

I just have to show you all by itself the Madagascar Jasmine...what is it now, 5 years old maybe and I've never seen anything like this. If I coaxed a flower or two from it before, I rejoiced. But Mother Nature does it better and the bouts of high humidity she provided certainly worked magic on this beautiful vine. I sometimes step out on the veranda just to look at it, such a gift that literally keeps on giving, so gratefully received from Tony's former inlaws. 

Other beautiful things...Beth's cake to us this month is a favourite...dark chocolate with marshmallow frosting. We are all enjoying it very much. Rock Recipes Black and White Cake

From Maude Smith such beautiful tea towels! Also dogs, butterflies, flowers, all the wonderful things, etc. are available.  Like this one...Isn't it gorgeous! I think I'd have to pin this up somewhere rather than use it for dish wiping.

I was following a link Nancy at Joy For Grace gave us in her latest post and went to read more about managing scraps. This article at All People Quilt turned out to be very interesting with a great video helping you discover your scrap saving philosophy and yes, we do all have one apparentlyHow to Organize Scrap Fabric

Today's stitching to share is slow stitching applique, my start on the Monarch project. I'd already picked fabrics and drawn a few shapes and cut out the freezer paper templates. Yes did that. Here are four of the smallest of three sizes. Definitely tropical butterflies at my house. I've been playing around with the shapes a little so they won't be identical.

The air is cooling off making walking much more enjoyable too. Seasons are good.

 Hope you are able to rest and feel the calm you deserve on this mid August Sunday.

Also happy to share this post with Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Songbird Designs


18 comments :

maggie fellow said...

I had to come visit the cake but the butterflies are beautiful too

Libby in TN said...

I bet those jasmines smell great, too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your flowers obviously are thriving this years. Our garden is looking great this year too. Very cute butterflies!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love cake - Mike is trying to loose weight though and if I even mention I might make one he says please no because he knows he will eat too much of it. I think I might half the recipe though and then cut and wrap pieces so he can only have one piece(me to)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your jasmine is beautiful, Jocelyn! I've never seen anything like it. And that cake - yum! I love the butterflies, to - so pretty. Enjoy your stitching today!

Jenny said...

I dont know about your glorious Madagascar jasmine, so pretty, and I'm assuming it has a glorious scent, like other jasmines? That's a pretty butterfly project you are starting. I have butterfly blocks from previous RSCs to finish up.

Jenny said...

PS. Such a lovely cake! You are very fortunate to receive such lovely cakes each month.

Jackie said...

Gorgeous butterflies.

Love the jasmine. I bet the smell is awesome.

God bless.

grammajudyb said...

All beautiful things on your post today. A jasmine! Awesome. Do you bring it indoors in the winter? I would assume so. So pretty! And chocolate cake.Yum-O!

I just learned that a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope! Or a flutter. Wouldn't that be a wonderful name for your quilt, Kaleidoscope Flutter? Such wonderful colors you have chosen!


PaintedThread said...

Ooh - look at that cake! Pretty butterflies. Good stuff!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a beautiful plant and boy, I could eat at least half of that cake.

Linda said...

Your jasmine is so pretty and I bet it is fragrant. Beth's cake looks delicious - it would not be safe around me. Your butterflies are spectacular! I'm looking forward to seeing more of that.

Julierose said...

Loving your hand drawn Monarch butterflies--so pretty--lovely work..that cake looks just amazingly yummy!! Nice tea towel--I agree it would be pretty up on a wall...hugs, Julierose

Susie H said...

I've made that recipe before and it was delicious. Bet you enjoyed every crumb! Your butterflies are beautiful, especially the one with the fussy cut lower wings. The jasmine was a wonderful gift and I bet it smells heavenly too! Have a great week!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The cake is making me hungry just looking at it! Your butterflies are beautiful! Love that jasmine too! I wish I could smell it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I had to go and explore those beautiful tea towels. Too pretty to actually USE!! So many themes to choose from too.
Your jasmine plant looks incredible - I can't begin to imagine the scent.

Chookyblue...... said...

I do like the teatowel.........and the butterflies are looking great too.....

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

The jasmine is beautiful and I bet it smells great! Those butterflies are the bomb! I love butterflies! The cake sounds wonderful! Marshmallow frosting?? I've never heard of that, but yummy, and you had be at dark chocolate!! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!