Wednesday 16 August 2023

Redwork Stitching, Marking Pencils,Gardening, Movies

 I shared a photo of the vines that grew so well in winter inside the house a while back. Here they are still alive and well outside all summer. I had put a few seeds in soil just to see what would happen knowing that, while I had no success growing pumpkins, I loved the leaves and these, whatever they are, look so pretty. A very tiny critter also loves them as there are little nibbles taken in some of  them.

And the Marigolds are the ones I grew from seeds planted in my garage green house in May. I have three pots of them and they grew well but were late to flower. I also planted a new to me flower- Zinnia seeds at the same time and here below are what remains after another critter raided the plants when I first put them outside. These have surprisingly strong stems and faint quickly without water. This is an annual and I'm going to try to harvest a few seeds for next year. 

Thanks again to Texas Quilt Gal, Linda, for mentioning the heating mats for propagating seeds indoors. I will definitely be adding more next spring. 
Inside, while I've layered two quilting projects, I've spent my evenings in front of the tv stitching 2 more patterns from Mom's redwork project. Here are the Caribou and the Moose, two very common animals at home. 
I ordered these erasable marking pencils from Amazon...here is the link (not affiliated) Amazon Clover Water Soluble Pencils and they came to me all the way from Hong Kong.  Three colours to a pack-white, pink and blue and they are another way to achieve removable marking lines to follow for hand quilting. Work perfectly but wear down fast. You need to keep a sharpener handy.
Jack and I went to see this movie. I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot. I realized I  knew very very little about that whole event. Wonderful performances. I was surprised again by how comfortable movie theater seats have become with the movable head and leg rests, especially good when you are sitting there for almost four hours.

We are hoping to see the Barbie movie this weekend. 

I'm off to make lunch. Daughter gave us a basket of locally grown tomatoes and they are delicious. Hubby loves a white bread tomato sandwich with a little mayo, salt and pepper. How about you?
Hope your week is going well!
Happily linking with Creations, Art, Quilting and Kathy's Quilts

19 comments :

Susie H said...

Your embroidery is very pretty. Love that moose! You're growing 2 of my favorite summer flowers -- zinnias and marigolds. They always add a great splash of color and are not fussy to grow. My mother enjoys a green pepper and butter sandwich on white bread. Bet she'd also love Jack's sandwich! Ha!

Julierose said...

Oh we do toasted tomato sandwiches with Garden fresh grown ones...yummy
Those marking pencils sound like a great idea...
Very muggy here and sprinkling just enough to keep us having to do our walking on the treadmill today.. hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such pretty flowers!! I didn’t plant as many this year as we were away for the month of June on holidays. Have you ever tried to grow dalias? Lots of large flowers and available in lots of colours. Fun embroidery project.

I’ve slept through many a movie in those comfy chairs. I prefer the less comfortable ones so I can stay awake to see the movie!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love zinnias and have never grown any! I know you can collect the seeds from this year and use them to grow next year's garden because I've talked to someone who did it successfully. Your redwork animals are beautiful! And anything with homegrown tomatoes is delicious. I've harvested a few so far and we have enjoyed them!

Jenny said...

Lovely redwork blocks. I must have missed the story behind these, did you find the blocks in your Mothers seing things?
Our picture theaters certainly dont have fancy seats like yours with moving parts, although ours are quite comfy and roomy these days with plenty of leg room. We were thinking of seeing that movie but with knee and back problems didn't think we could cope with the long time frame sitting down.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I tried planting a few pumpkin seeds indoors hoping for a nice vine but I don't think they got enough light. DH transplanted them outside but they didn't survive the onslaught of weeds behind our building. Seeing the zinnias reminded me of my mother who loved them and planted them (and poppies!) absolutely everywhere she could.
No movie going for us because DH can't sit that long so I'll just have to read about them.
As for tomato sandwiches - yum!! And yes, mayo and pepper (Mircle Whip preferably).

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your plants are all beautiful and I love those critter stitchings!

Jackie said...

The red work is just lovely.

My tomato sandwich needs to be toasted and if possible have some cheese as well.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Pretty flowers! Interesting pencils. How do you like them?

Linda said...

I do love your redwork! Your pumpkin vines look a lot like our ornamental sweet potato vines that grow like crazy in our landscape. They sell them at the big stores in lime green and also a pretty purple color. Your zinnias are pretty! I love to grow them and attract butterflies. I like a LOT of mayonnaise with my tomato sandwich - lol!

grammajudyb said...

No flowers were grown here. I just didn’t have the physical stamina to get on my knees to plant? It’s good sometimes to work in only one color! Is your red thread a variegated or does it just look darker in places! It’s very pretty! I’ve never had just a white bread and tomato sandwich, but I’m sure I’d like it. I need to find some really good home grown tomatoes!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never used heating mats for seedlings let us know how they work.

Carol in Texas said...

Homegrown tomatoes are the best! Our days have become so hot that tomatoes are not producing now, but earlier in the summer I could get some from a lady who would set up a stand on a corner of a busy street in town. A friend who grew tomatoes also gave us a group of about 8. We pigged our on them and had sliced tomatoes for every meal….especially good on the plate of eggs and bacon for breakfast!

I love your garden…..things are so hot here mine is just about burned up. Fall is our top growing season, but I wonder when the heat will abate….will we have a fall?

I always love to see your blog entries.

Libby in TN said...

Zinnias are a staple in a Southern garden. Your "pumpkin" vine looks a lot like what we call sweet potato vine down here.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your redwork! Your flowers are gorgeous and I love your zinnias! Yes we love tomato sandwiches just like your husband likes them! Have a wonderful day!

Angela said...

Big yes to that tomato sandwich. I have heard good things about the Barbie movie but haven't seen it yet.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your redwork, and your flowers are gorgeous. I usually eat my tomato sandwiches with some bacon, but I have tomato on just about every sandwich I eat. I love layering tomato with some sliced mozarella and basil, drizzled with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Deb A said...

Tomato sandwiches with fresh tomatoes are the best! Love the bee in your header photo. The caribu and moose are looking great. Love the pretty flowers too. Have a great week. I might need to try those marking pencils for quilting. Thanks for the info on them.

Maggie said...

Just love fresh tomatoes on toast with just a hint of fresh cracked pepper and salt! Beefsteak tomatoes especially. With a drizzle of olive oil on top. Summer is flying past, enjoying every moment we get outside. Have a wonderful week.