Sunday 3 December 2023

Christmas Quiltmania, Crocheting, Coziest Time of Year

 The weather outside is just a little bit frightful...

I'm feeling thankful I don't have to go out in such weather anymore. And all good inside. It is very cosy in the tv room with YouTube entertainment, a large mug of coffee and crocheting like crazy. Doesn't get much better for a retiree. 

I've pulled out my Applique and Embroidery Xmas at Quiltmania, 2018 project. I have no idea where I ended this before. But here are a few blocks up close. The idea was to use a very limited and muted palette- just white, red and grey in the mix.
I checked and the free patterns are still there at that link if you'd like to take a look. 
And these four...at some point I decided to add this darker blue into the mix. The bell could use more embellishments. 
I think I've stitched a couple more since so will do another search in the WIP's drawer. Because surely I would have picked this up again the following Christmas. But anyway, this will be my main hand stitching for December with the plan to get 20 or so of these blocks finished. 
Last year I was given a jelly roll of  Laundry Basket Quilts lovely Andover Noel fabric, the only new fabric in my stash. I've been doing a little search for a machine stitching project. Isn't it pretty. Any suggestions...I've never used a jelly roll in a real project before. 

I've gotten the over 65 Flu Vaccine and waffling on whether to get the Covid one too. It made me think of how differently vaccinations were viewed when I was a kid. 
I think all of my vaccinations were given to me at school growing up. "Getting a needle" day would be almost terrifying with someone crying- sometimes even a boy would cry! and once someone fainted. You can imagine how exciting that was! I doubt very much if my parents gave permission or even knew ahead of time this was happening. And all we felt was gratitude, thankful that we were being protected against some dreadful disease. No more thought than that. My parents would have agreed anyway especially since my mother had a brother who'd become slightly physically disabled as the result of childhood polio. I don't think anyone questioned the value. There was certainly less grey area and more black and white in that post '50's world I grew up in. The door has been firmly shut on that world (and there are certainly things that do need to stay behind that door!).  Would this have been your experience with vaccinations too?

I hope you are having a great first weekend of December and your fingers are flying. 

Happily linking with Songbird Designs, The Inquiring QuilterAlycia QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric Addict and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.





22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

getting all vaccinations makes one feel saver I think - why not get the covid vaccine too you have in the past right? If you feel ill from it you know it only last a day or two - I barely had a reaction to it this year and no reaction to the RSV inject. I like the feeling too of not having to go outside in snowy weather unless you want to when it is winter or stormy in the spring - the advantage of not working outside the home. Enjoy the beautiful scenery from the comfort of looking out the window - you have a lot of snow there for sure and it looks so pretty.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Brrrr! It does look cold and frightful. A perfect day to stay home and enjoy Flosstube indeed. Love your applique blocks ; thank you so much for leaving the link. Enjoy your day and stay warm and cozy.

Libby in TN said...

Love your Christmas project colors. Yep, we lined up for vaccinations at school, too. I was especially happy to get the polio vaccine as a neighbor girl had polio before the vaccine and ultimately had a shrunken leg.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't retirement wonderful?! Looks like you've probably been enjoying a snow day sew day today, Jocelyn. Those Quiltmania Christmas blocks are so sweet! I'll enjoy seeing what else you make for that project. I don't remember getting vaccinations at school when I was a kid, but maybe we did. It's a shame that vaccines have become so political these days, because they've done a lot of good in our world. I'm certainly thankful to have gotten all mine this year!

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy December, talented lady!
I've done my felting, and it is all wrapped for presents. I totally forgot to take photos. sigh.
I hear you about storms. We were out in the rain today, so silly.

Jenny said...

Your Christmas applique project will be a good one to resurrect during the holidays. I can remember school vaccinations to, certainly for polio and TB. Not sure if we had to take a permission slip home or not, maybe they just gave it to everyone.

Georgia said...

Your experience with childhood vaccinations was exactly like mine here in Georgia and for exactly the same reasons. We were lined up in a classroom or sent by bus to the county health department, no parental permission asked, I don't think. One Sunday morning, I listened to my father and other men talk in hushed tones about someone's child who was showing symptoms of polio. When the vaccine came about, I suspect parents were grateful, we kids, not so much, because we were going to be given more shots. And yes, there were plenty of tears!

Jackie said...

Yes, it is the coziest season of the year, but we don't have the snow that you have. Cold/cooler temperatures yes though so I need to walk a bit more briskly.

Love the quilt squares.

God bless.

The Cozy Quilter said...

It’s a great day to stay inside and stitch! Or knit! Or crochet! Bring on the hot tea and Christmas movies! Such a pretty jelly roll—so many possibilities!

PaintedThread said...

Look at that snow! I took the plunge and got the flu and covid vaccines together. Have fun sewing. :-)

Rosa said...

You always have new projects on the go! I'm in awe of how well you manage your time to get so much accomplished.

About vaccines: I see so many people avoiding the covid booster and I wonder why. Covid is not going anywhere and I suspect that one reason covid hospitalizations are down is because all the easy-to-kill individuals already succumbed to covid. But people are still aging into the more vulnerable "elderly" categories and repeated bouts of covid weakens individuals, making them more vulnerable to serious consequences of all illnesses not just covid. My doc told me that she is seeing 4 to 6 times more covid cases versus the flu so far this year. Both are potentially deadly viruses, but of the two, I fear covid more and am keeping up on the vaccines.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Charmning motifs, the bell, bird and snowman would make nice pillows.

Gracious, needle day! Horrifying experience. I remember the smell of alchol, having my cheeks squished together to distract, crying, being held tight by a nurse, and the pain of the needle. We couldn't attend school without our shots.

Susie H said...

I went to US Dept of Defense schools through 6th grade. Every year before the school year started our shot records were read and it was determined what shots we were lacking. Isn't retirement great??!! Love that you are able to stay indoors, looking out at the beautiful snow, and crocheting to your heart's content. Have a wonderful Monday!

Sara said...

Oh yes - we received most vaccines at school. We stood in line, and never questioned it. Like your, my parents would have given permission. I did get both my Covid and Over 65 flu shots last month. When I was teaching some school districts required we get flu shots every year - and the county nurse came right to the school.

Linda said...

I like the added blue in your white, red and grey blocks, they are all so pretty. I feel as you do about the life of a retiree - doesn't get much better, right? :D
Vaccinations were common in my growing up world too. It amuses me to no end that folks see my decision not to get vaccinated as a political statement rather than a personal preference. I have been this way since the 1970s - lol!
Hope you are having a great week!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think the best part about making an afghan is being able to cozy up beneath it while you work on it. Definitely a win/win!
I don't remember if I had to get parental consent for vaccinations when I was a kid but I do remember getting them. Resident Chef and I got our flu and covid shots both on the same day (separate arms) but now we're wondering about the RSV vac's that they're recommending. Sadly they cost quite a bit so I suspect we will wait and see if they end up being covered before we get those.
As for jelly rolls - ask Mr. Google! I know you will find all sorts of ideas there.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

p.s. - meant to say that I turned a jelly roll into squares and from there into hexies.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Working in health care, I was required to get a flu shot every year. It doesn't bother me. I got flu, covid and pneumonia about a month ago. Your room looks so inviting! A cup of coffee, crochet and TV looks great! I love those blocks! You have the best projects!!

Angela said...

Your quilting and crocheting look great! Enjoy your lovely fire!

Kate said...

I actually know that in the sixties, parents did have to give permission for in school vaccinations. There was another student in my class in rural Ontario whose family didn't do vaccinations for religious reasons and she always got to stay in class when we got vaccines.
It has been good weather for knitting by the fire.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your room does look cozy and inviting with all that snow out the window! I really like your applique.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love how cozy and warm everything looks for your Stitching time!!!
Hope you find a great pattern for your jelly roll - there are a lot of cool ones out there!!