Friday 1 December 2023

Finishes Yes Two of Them, Free Christmas Patterns

On one of our very chilly but bright trail walks this week, I was struck by the blues and strange soft look of the November sky- it had a different look- and it reminded me of a line. I can't remember if it is from a poem or essay where the writer says " November's porcelain blue sky". Taken with my phone camera and no editing.

I visited older daughter, Amelia, this week and she is ahead of the game...her tree is up and decorated. I was interested in the three decorations I embroidered a couple of decades ago. I looked closely at my stitching.
Not good. The stitches were much, much smaller and neater than what I'm doing these days. C'est la vie.
 November OMG News

First up is a last look at my little applique leafy table topper. Definitely an autumn item.

And the hand quilting and binding got finished on the Christmas Coins. It measures 42 in. x 48 in. and was a joy to stitch from start to finish.
It is a good feeling to get these WIP's all finished.  I was digging in my WIP drawer and have pulled out the 2018 Quiltmania applique project that I really want to finish this winter ..how great if I could finish it in December because the motifs are sort of  Christmasy. Next post I'll share that. 

There are wonderful and free Christmas patterns popping up in my newsfeed. I just have to share a few with you.  

Live Art Gallery Fabrics This one is called "All is Bright" and has a definite modern flair. 

The tutorial for this easy but adorable pattern below is found at Quilt Story I've noted it several times throughout the years. 


Also in an old notebook...I still like this Vintage Throw Pattern from Jeris Quilt Patch.  If you have pretty fabric that features a Christmas motif or even  panel blocks, it would work for the rectangular blocks. 

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week has to do with exchanging Christmas cards and letters.  I used to send out tons of cards but these days I only put in the mail cards with gifts to the children of Tony's former in laws. The three of them always phone me to thank me which is sweet.  What about you? Have you kept that tradition alive?

22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice to have a finish isn't it. I used to send cards but I stopped as the family kept growing and growing and postage kept getting higher and higher. Most in my family no longer send cards just a couple that do the family photo cards.
That blue sky is so clear here it is foggy this morning and 47 degrees after a cold chilly all day rain yesterday

Julierose said...

Your Christmas Coins is so lovely--I like all the white pops throughout--nice work--it should keep you nice and cozy in this cold weather;))) hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy December, Jocelyn. That is a lovely photo of the blue sky. I wish our sky was the blue at the moment. Those are some adorable ornaments that you stitched years ago . I am in love with your Christmas coins quilt. I bet that was a fun one to work on. Have a lovely weekend and happy quilting. Hugs.

Jenny said...

Your Christmas Coins are pretty, do you remember that you inspired me to make one a while ago when you did your earlier version of this?
I send very few Christmas cards these days, used to post such a lot.

Chantal said...

Double congrats, Jocelyn! I love both of them. Thanks for the links. I especially like the little mug rug. Those are very cute ornaments you used to do. Oh! How time flies! Take care. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are sweet embroidered ornaments that you made for your daughter's tree, Jocelyn! I love seeing your fall table topper and the coin quilt finish, too. What size do you make your binding? It looks wider than mine, and it's really pretty that way. I always enjoy seeing the free patterns you come up with!

PaintedThread said...

Wonderful finishes! That shot of the sky is beautiful. I just finished my cards - fewer this year than in the past. It's good to catch up with some old friends, and others I send simply because guinea pig holiday photos are good for a laugh. :-)

Jackie said...

I finished the runners and the mug rugs this week, feels great so I understand how happy you are.

God bless.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great finishes! I love the table square! The Christmas coin quilt is something really special! Great job! Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda said...

Love your leafy topper, such pretty work. I'm not quite ready to give up my autumn decorations, so I'm including them with my Christmas decor - lol! I love your Christmas Coins quilt, and it looks perfect there in the chair.
Like you, we used to send out Christmas cards, and it was just part of the Christmas prep to choose cards or photocards, and get the envelopes ready to mail. We do receive an occasional Christmas card but don't send any out anymore. Kind of sad, but I don't miss the extra work. ;)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love your Christmas Coins - scrappy quilts are always my favourite. It will be lovely to snuggle under in front of your fire.
Re the cards question - I send a few still and put a family 'newsletter' in some of them. For the rest I have gone to using 'Jacquie Lawson' e-cards which I pay a nominal fee for every year and then use for pretty much every occasion throughout the year. I know most people just open a greeting card and then toss it as soon as Christmas is over so, to me, it's somewhat of a waste of money, particularly now that postage is so high. Any cards I receive are kept for the following year and I use their fronts as 'to and from' tags on gifts.

quiltingbydawn said...

Wonderful finished for the Christmas season! Thanks for the links! I do like that little stitched one! My family tradition is to make handmade ornaments and exchange every year! I love the ones you made for your daughter!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Beautiful finishes, Jocelyn! I love the color of the sky in your picture. The blue is just stunning. The ornaments you made are so nice. I still send Christmas cards through the mail but not as many as I used to.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your embroidered decorations are very pretty, it's nice to see them on the tree! I love your scrappy Christmas Coins, so welcoming, it looks cozy on the chair.
Thank you for sharing these projects and links, and linking up!

Quilter Kathy said...

I adore the scrappy Christmas coins quilt!
How sweet to see old projects you have made hanging on your daughter's tree!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your scrappy Christmas coins finish is adorable. There is something intriguing about the variety of the fabrics that make up a coin quilt. There is so much for the eye to search which makes them extra fun! I do send a few card each year. I used to make the Christmas cards; but, now, I send photo cards which require less effort. I enjoy receiving photo cards because most of the people on my list live far away so I don't "see" them often. Those ornaments are super sweet!

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy December.
We're all done and wrapped. The tree is up. Well, our Charlie brown tree!
We only have our Ottawa kids to see and exchange gifts with.

CathieJ said...

I love the Christmas Coins quilt. The little Autumn leaves is pretty too. I send about 30 cards each year....it used to be more.

Angie said...

Beautiful crafty projects! I laughed (ironically) when I read your comment about the size and neatness of your stitches now compared to the past - I find I keep getting a stronger prescription on my glasses and brightening the setting on my stitching lamp. Oy vey!

We still send out about 80 Christmas cards, accompanied with an update on our year. I enjoy the process!

Kate said...

Winter skies can be so blue, great photo! Congrats on all the progress so far this winter on finishing off projects. Happy stitching time this week.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful quilts.The stictched ornaments are super adorable.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Christmas coins is beautiful!
And so are those ornaments - what a fun memory to have on a tree!
Thanks for the links to the free patterns too