Monday 11 December 2023

Simple Pleasures, Applique, Pattern Testing

I've begun my winter goal of spending an hour each day outside in the fresh air no matter the weather. It is easily done as two long walks with Ned will take up the time. And then there is collecting sticks for the fire and shoveling the front steps too which I've done twice so far.  It is slow going in the woods with the snow we've had already. And I take time to look about, take a photo, try to find birds, etc. Ned upset me one morning by eating a lone rabbit's paw we came across. He gobbled it up before I knew what he was doing. I reminded him that we are feeding him organic food for his itchy skin and then he goes and eats something wild like that. He was completely indifferent, if anything a little proud of himself. Here he looks so much older to me...going to be 3 in March.

 I wasted, no I shouldn't say wasted, I spent an entire evening playing with a new pattern. My latest Quiltmania magazine featured a beautiful vintage quilt with the pattern to make it.

No, not the cover quilt; that one is incredible wool applique. This one below...The Scrappy Stars quilt made by Poulien Wolfswinkel (what a neat surname!). 

And we are all in love with stars. It would work well as another scrappy project to use up some of those sorted scraps I've been up to my knees in lately. So I set about copying the pattern, tracing and cutting the card stock pieces-made loads of the triangles and corner pieces to stitch them EPP. Then tried out a few of the fans with my blue scraps which are plentiful. 
Overnight I had the thought that the pattern at this size-2 1/2 inches, was far too small and fiddly for my fingers, plus it would take a million of them to make a lap quilt even.  I need the pattern enlarged. So today I'm going to resize the pattern to make it bigger, maybe to a finished 6 inch square size at least. 

Since last writing, I also finished another Quiltmania Xmas square, the little potted hearts. These are small as well but not too small. I'm including a little blue fabric here and there from now on. 

So what are you looking forward to this week? It's important to have something to look forward to- even a very small thing like for me right now I'm looking forward to putting the kettle on for tea and know I will have a muffin with it. Our wood guy came with a load of wood for us and we were pleased to find out it had been stored inside so dry...that will catch easier and burn cleaner. I look forward to making a cheery fire with it each winter morning. We've also been enjoying the little thing of opening up our advent calendars from Beth each day. Mine is really neat, a 50 piece puzzle of puppies, each day. Tony's is all chocolates and Ned, the rabbit eater, also gets an edible treat. 
So what are your tiny but enjoyable somethings to look forward to this week? 
Also enjoyable to link up with great parties around the net such as Life in Pieces It's a Small Town LifeMelva Loves ScrapsSo Scrappy and Quilt Fabrications.


19 comments :

Julierose said...

Oh about Ned; my son's dog, Lucy, loves to catch rabbits and lays them on their doorstep all pleased as punch...she also eats chipmunks I'm told. Yikes--you can take the animal out of the wild, but you cannot, evidently, take the wild out of animals...:))))!!!!But enough about that!!:000

What a cute heart flower pot...I spent the morning wrestling with invisible stitching down the little flowers in my Bramble QAL flowerpot. My fingers do not like handwork anymore...the flower heads are such small circles that I don't know what stitch to outline them with...will have to check my machine for a fancy one maybe...
Next time I will will make bigger flowers that will be easier to machine applique!! Everything changes...at 80 my hands are full of arthritis and it's hard to stitch anymore--I do miss it...;(((

I hope you enjoy the rest of this run-up to Christmas...and I am so envious of your SNOW!!!! I have fingers and toes crossed that we get even a little this year...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like you have settled in for the winter and good plan to be outside in two 30 minute segments if the weather permits - I guess that is one good thing of having a dog - they need to go outside and if they can exercise all the better.

Susie H said...

I agree, that pattern needs to be enlarged. Looks like a fun one, easily enjoyable. Silly Ned. That rabbit foot was obviously bad luck for that rabbit! Lol! I look forward to a hot cup of coffee each morning. I'm the only one awake and I love the stillness before needs have to be attended to and meals thought about. Enjoy those walks! Gracie & I love our morning walks too. Bet Gracie & Ned would have a blast exploring the woods together!

Linda said...

I applaud your decision to enlarge that pattern! It's going to be spectacular. Your Advent goodies look wonderful. My "look forward to" usually revolves around food, because Hubs and I eat as healthily as we can during the week, then we splurge in some way (or many ways) on weekends. I love making traditional Christmas recipes I've always made during December.
Ned is beautiful!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I can see why that star design would appeal to you - but I agree that embiggening the design would make it a whole lot easier to work with.
Goodness - Ned is almost three? Where did the time go!!
A little side note about advent calendars - I made an 'adult version' for one of my best friends and I'm enjoying seeing her pleasure as she opens each little gift. Some days it's 'something' and other days it's something simple like a word search printed from the internet. So that's my 'enjoyable something' I'm looking forward to!

Jackie said...

What a pretty design that quilt is. It would be a great way to use up scraps.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ned always looks like such a sweet dog, and beautiful, too. He must have really enjoyed that rabbit's foot, lol! I love seeing what you're working on - those Quiltmania blocks are fun. What fun Advent calendars from your daughter, too - she knows what you each will enjoy!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Quiltmania has the nicest projects! I would enlarge that block also. It takes too long when the pieces are so small. Poor Ned! He probably has no idea what he did wrong! I love the idea of spending time outdoors in wintertime. I think it's harder than it sounds.

Anonymous said...

That picture of your beautiful Ned looks like a high quality oil painting.
I hate finicky hand work anymore, that pattern will look just as good in a larger size without frustrating/hurting you so much.

Jenny said...

I cant do teeny tiny blocks either, good plan to enlarge the blocks for your new project.

Kate said...

Hopefully there was no poor outcome from the rabbit leg snack for Ned. That star quilt is beautiful, hopefully the larger size will work for you. It's always fun when you find a quilt that you just have to make. Hope you have lots of things to look forward to this week.

LA Paylor said...

Ned! do not eat anything out on the ground! We came out of our MD house one morning to see a deer leg in the front yard. Our neighbor hunted and some predator picked it up and dropped it on our place. Cole said, yea! Thanks! (no he didn't get it)
I remember taking my lab to the vet, she would come in the room and ask what did she eat this time? sigh, "we're here for shots" this time
LeeAnna

Angela said...

Ned has a gorgeous face!

sue s said...

Oh, Ned! My Elkhound once brought a baby bunny to me at the back door; so proud! I went to find the nest (she eagerly showed me) and the sad thing was the other babies were already dead. She was a hound; what can you do?
The quilt looks exotic. Have fun with it!

Sara said...

Ned obviously is enjoying the walks with you. The star quilt in the magazine is beautiful. Yours will be too, no matter what size you make those blocks. I would be tempted to make them bigger too.

Chantal said...

I love that star quilt too, but haven't done one ... yet. It will be a nice project to work on while sitting by the fire. The potted hearts is a lovely block. Animals don't care about their health, obviously. I buy the best for my cat and then, he comes home with a mouse. I'm like "Don't eat that. It's full of fleas". But he just "crunch, crunch" continues. Lol. Enjoy your calendar. ;^)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Resizing the block to comfort level is a great idea. Won't have to make as many blocks either? I'm looking forward to a week with fewer obligations so I can spend more time in the studio making art.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Naughty Ned!!!! But what fun to be outside with him - I bet is is great for both of you!!! and a warm yummy fire each morning - that sounds amazing.
The stars quilt is beautiful!! I hope you can make the blocks the size you want them

Michelle said...

Your routine with Ned sounds like mine with my dog Calvin. Nothing like walking outdoors, even in crazy weather :) Thank you for linking up.