Tuesday 19 December 2023

Three Free Star Ornament Patterns, Applique and Quilting Progress

On my second cup of coffee this morning and a big one at that. Yes, I use a straw to help keep my front teeth white. Weird I know.  Anyone else do that?

We had a busy day recently with financial meetings in a nearby town, getting a chest x ray for Tony, library books returned, etc. etc.  I needed bird seed which I usually buy in the largest bag I can find...this one at Walmart was on special. 

 Tony went to bed for a nap when we finally made it home and I tried to calm myself with Floss tube and stitching. No, too wound up to concentrate. So I took Ned out for a long walk even out onto the cul de sac and up the road which we never do. (I also don't go into our woods in the dark). He loved all the new smells and in the calm and quiet of early dusk, the Christmas lights were shimmering so prettily, I could feel myself breathing deeper and relaxing. 

My head was kind of spinning because I know there is a bunch of things I need to do for Christmas and I was also kicking myself for forgetting my list at home. In certain circumstances I still put pressure on myself; don't know why, maybe because it's in my stars- I'm Virgo...:D  My days of full on Christmas decorating/entertaining are behind me so I've far less to do which is ironic because now I have the time to actually do that. Just don't have the will anymore.

Enough of blabbing on...

I stitched two more of the Quiltmania blocks...truthfully, I'd cut these shapes out sometime in the past so they just needed sewing down and embellishing. 

And I've now sewn the four corner blocks for the Diamond Patchwork Quilt.  I get to play with more whites from now on. 
Here are three free Christmas Star ornament patterns that are fairly quick to make and I thought too good to miss...
The first are the directions to make a Moravian Star which is special as well as pretty. It made me think of the Moravian missionaries who in 1771 were the first Europeans to settle on the Labrador Coast and proceeded to have a huge impact on the Labrador Inuit. 
The Moravian Star is multisided and has been associated with the faith for centuries. 
Here is the link to Hatun Conak's free pattern at My PatchWorld site. Really neat.

The Second one is from one of my favourite sites, Wild Olive, where Mollie shares so many sweet patterns. This little ornament is so pretty. Sometimes simple is better and with this one you can embroider a name or year on the back to make it meaningful, which is a touch I love. 

The Third star ornament is from Crafty Staci where she shares the free pdf template for her Pentagon Star ornament. Also sweet and a great way to fussy cut special Christmas fabrics. 

Btw, all three of these sites have wonderful banks of free patterns and instructions. Happy Exploring!

 I must also share news of a fellow blogger and dog lover, Pat, a retired teacher, whose blog is The Weaver of Grass and she lives in the Yorkshire Dales, England. I've been reading her wonderful and newsy blog for ten years and always felt a strong sense of connectiveness with her. I've followed her from being married to the farmer, his passing, her move from the farm into the local village, her breaking a hip (something, like me, she so dreaded doing), needing a carer and now being diagnosed with cancer. She is in her 90's and is opting for palliative care at home. Her mind is clear as a bell and she is in charge of these decisions. I'm awed by her words, her wonderful attitude and want to remember and learn from her experiences. 

The big day is getting closer! Hope you are happy with how you are coping and getting things ticked off your lists. 

Sharing this post with Quilt Fabrication.

20 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Brilliant idea to drink coffee through a straw but I know myself well enough to know I'd hit the straw and spill the coffee all over (mostly likely onto my computer keyboard!).
Glad to see you put the bird seed into a sealed container. We had a horrible influx of moths the last year we used seed and it would have been a whole lot worse if we hadn't clamped the lid back on in a hurry when they flew out at us. Scary! We were swatting those things for weeks afterwards. Now we only put out suet which also has the added benefit of not attracting myriads of squirrels who were doing a lot of damage to the wiring in cars in our parking lot (who knew squirrels liked to chew on wires!).
Had hoped not to have to hit any stores this week but the Resident Chef needs a prescription filled so I guess I'll be braving the drug store on Thursday to take advantage of the Old Fartes benefits.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful patterns
I think my learning how to make a Morovian Star will go well into 2024.


Thank you on the news of Weaver. I've also been reading her blog since the days of the farmer taking photos of their Yorkshire fields.

Julierose said...

Yes I agree, plenty of time, but less and less will to do things ....
Slow and quieting day here after yesterday's grueling stormy drive and clinic
appointment...
I cannot seem to "find" the Christmas Spirit this year...too much hustle and bustle...
I like your little star patterns--really cute.
Hugs for energy Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like you need to try and de-stress! you must be a worrier and I thought I was one, I think you have it worse - If I forget a list (which means I would forget my phone as I have a phone ap for my list) I just go back the next day and get what I forgot
Your blog friend in England sounds like someone to admire for sure being in charge of herself and making up her own decisions is good.

Susie H said...

Sorry to hear about your blog-friend's illness but glad you can muster strength from her. I don't know about her or her blog but she sounds like an amazing woman.

Isn't it amazing how good a walk can make one feel? You go, girl!

Jackie said...

Love those star patterns. I will be printing out the directions to make some next year.

God bless.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely patchwork blocks! and great star ornament ideas too....

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a cute mug with the owls on it! I don't typically drink my coffee through a straw, unless it's the iced variety, but it's not a bad idea. I hope you're feeling less stressed today - a walk with Ned and some fresh air sounds like it would help. Those star ornaments are sweet - thanks for sharing them!

J. S. Vila said...

Beautiful stars designs for to decorate the Christmas tree in these days. I drink the coffee directly from the cup, but really every person do how personally wants. Do It at your preference and your choice ever. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

PaintedThread said...

Those star ornaments are cool. We get the big bag of black oil seeds, too. Although this year the birds are slow at showing up (not that it's been terribly cold). Good luck with your prep!

Marsha Cooper said...

Thanks so much for sharing the free patterns. I'm saving all of them in hopes that I can make them....and start on that ASAP too.
I sure know all about the spinning head with so many things to get done.

Linda said...

I like my coffee boiling hot, so a straw would melt - lol! Your walk at dusk appeals, that is my very favorite time of day. We just talked yesterday about how our Christmas decorating/entertaining has changed through the years. I have such wonderful memories of Christmas when I was a child, and then when the kids were younger. But I don't have the energy or inclination for all of it now. I wish you a wonderful Christmas Jocelyn!

Angela said...

So much Christmasy goodness! Wish you loads of peace and calm!

Karen said...

We will make it to the finish line with time to spare! Don't despair.
I was sad to hear about Pat's health problem too. Gosh, I though Pat was going to live forever. She is so strong. I have great respect and admiration for her.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Thank you for the ornament patterns. So nice! I know other people who drink coffee from a straw to keep their teeth white. I'm too lazy and drink right from the cup! I love your blocks too! Have a Merry Christmas!!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I can't imagine drinking coffee through a straw, but I admire the creativity!

I hope you find some peace and relaxation in these final days before Christmas - walks always help to clear my head and soothe my soul.

So sorry to hear about your blogging friend ...

Joining you from I Like Thursday.

grammajudyb said...

I’m too much of a klutz to use a straw in a regular mug. I’d have to use a tall cup with a straw hole like a take out cup . I’m glad you elected not to walk in the woods at night. I’d hear all kinds of scary sounds and br terrified! We too have cut down on decorating and preparing. I used to make different kinds of cookies and candy. Not this year. All that got done was Chex Mix! Maybe I’ll do fudge ot a small batch of cookies on Saturday. We are invited to a neighborhood Dominos and Dessert party on Tuesday!

Robin said...

I went to the Weaver of Grass blog and read a number of her posts. She is delightful and made me ponder so many things. I suddenly realized I'm no longer in the Autumn of my life, I've crossed over into Winter. It's interesting how each new phase of life has always brought enthusiasm and wonder. But, this phase brings sadness and questions. I hope the blogger is handling things as well as she writes. I enjoyed the Moravian Star pattern. I have ancestors in North Carolina that were involved in the Moravian church in the early 1700's.

LA Paylor said...

oh, your friend's words ... loved. And your soft heart, I love. Ned is such a good boy and companion, I can almost feel his sleek hair and soft ears. Your artwork is pretty.
What if you just let expectations go a bit? things might not all get done but is that okay? Take care of your spirit. Love, LeeAnna (taking her own advice)

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your blog - thanks for keeping it up! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Gladi Porsche