Thursday 4 July 2024

First Thursday of July Things and Thoughts

Bloom where you are planted. I do not remove these when they pop up in spots like this till the blooming is done.

So pretty and a marvel up close. ( Taken with my cheap phone...I miss my old macro camera feature.)
 Here is one of the Laura Wheeler quilt pattern Pinterest sites featuring some of Laura's shared designs....Laura Wheeler Quilt Patterns. I've been reading there is a mystery surrounding who Laura really was. That seems like a shame as that lady's patterns, whoever she was, were renown and reached so many women in many countries. Laura published a version of this pattern below. I've been going down a rabbit hole to find out more about it-it's called Little Boy Breeches. Anyone familiar with it?
It would make an interesting EPP project. Btw, here are two friends who explore these older patterns and history...  Michele often chats about many vintage patterns and interesting tidbits on her Pennsylvania Piecemakers blog as does Melva at Melva Loves Scraps. I always find it interesting reading about anything vintage and the attached meanings and history. It's become popular to reproduce the look of old fabrics and cross stitch samplers, the kind stitched by girls and young women a century ago. And modern day cross stitchers are enjoying working them by the droves. They are being encouraged to attach an identifying label so someone in the future won't mistake their work for that of an original stitcher.

My Cardinal Rule is at this point now. Cardinal has his beak and wing. I did switch the white nest for a medium brown bit that in reality is darker than showing here.  Thank you all for taking the time to comment about this particular matter.

 I also decided not to use the pale orange blooms? because when I laid them all down they too seemed to be a little distracting and there were quite of few of them...
 Instead I foraged a few pieces of  deep red scraps and cut more holly berries. None of those are attached, just trying them out. I have enough wool to make a backing which will be next.
 If you have never worked with wool, you should know how lovely it is to stitch on. It is very forgiving and so soft to the hands. 

I also pulled out a couple aqua pieces to stitch more appliqued Hour Glass Blocks. The July RSC colour is aqua which is a difficult colour to pin down sitting as it does between blue and green on the colour wheel. (I looked it up). It is probably the scantiest of the colours I have on hand. And I haven't fallen off the fabric diet. Sticking to my guns. (I wonder where and how that expression came about.) I had two packs of 40 each Bella cream blocks and I've used them all. Sewing a couple of these here and there adds up.

Did Mother Robin nail true aqua?
I'm looking forward to cross stitching this weekend. And thinking about my next cross stitch project which will be another bee, a most suitable summertime theme. 

A very happy Glorious 4th to my American stitching friends! I admire the eloquent words of your Declaration of Independence written by 33 year old Thomas Jefferson. So young and so full of hope!












10 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that a pretty flower?! I would leave it to grow there, too. I like to read both Michele and Melva's blogs, too. It's amazing how much knowledge people have about historical quilters and designs. Aqua is a tricky color - I will think a scrap is aqua, but then put it next to another one, and it looks blue. That robin's egg is perfect, though!

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such a good eye for colour!
Your header is quite lovely, too.
I bought myself a Selvim 25x Macro Smartphone Lens Kit. You just pop it on your smart phone. That's how I'm doing some closeups. It's fun!
My grandie wanted one for Christmas, but I bought her one of these for graduation. They are only about $38.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love seeing flowers pop up wherever they wish to.
Thomas Jefferson had some great words - and another Thomas did too - Thomas Paine and his little 47 page booklet "Commonsense" which I think American politicians need to read :)
We are having a lazy day here and I made a strawberry cake

Angela said...

Yes, the brown nest looks so much better!

PaintedThread said...

Great photo of that flower! Oh - I like that beige nest so much better! Enjoy your weekend. :-)

Susie H said...

Thank you for sharing your strong little flower with us. It's amazing to me how a little seed can find the tiniest of spots in which to land and grow. Good for you to not pull it out of unwanted spots until after they flower. Me too! Cardinal Rule is really coming along.

Linda said...

I love that little flower. Just FYI, I love to see grass growing between stones like you have. Your cardinal is looking so pretty! I didn't chime in on the nest color, but I do like the brown. Yes robin's blue is so perfect!

grammajudyb said...

Mother Nature is such a force, isn’t she? I tend to leave any growing thing with color! Cardinal is looking good. I like the use of the red bits instead of the more coral color.
I love your “daisy” flower. I’m a pushover for them. Our youngest granddaughter’s name is Shasta.

dq said...

A lovely daisy in the crack and the perfectly aqua robin egg - nature is so beautiful!
I like that you changed out the white on your cardinal block. It looks great!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love how the daisy chose came up in an odd area. We have pansies growing between some bricks. It's like a surprise! One gorgeous blue egg sitting all alone! Such a pretty color. I love how you swapped out that bright white piece. It looks so much better. We had a great 4th of July. I think we ate too much!!