Thursday 11 July 2024

Project Updates, Jodi's Seedlings Book, No Bake Mini Muffins, Summer Drinks

There are certain weeds I won't cut down right away. The wild Thistles are one of them and it is for this reason. Goldfinches depend on thistles for food and use thistledown for their nests. This one was checking out the Purple Globe Thistle plant that won't bloom till late July. 

The spiritual meaning of Goldfinches is to encourage resilience and embrace changes gracefully. So many of us have been tried and tested in both those regards, right?

Mid week progress on two of my quilty projects...the extra scrappy EPP 3 inch 9 patches and more Tilda Peels. I was pleased to note fabric from four men's shirts in my 9 patches. Can you spot it?

I love Tales of Cloth where Jodi Godfrey shares her amazing slow stitching journey through life. And  when she made this book available, I had to buy it. I got my copy from Amazon. EPP is a favourite pastime of mine as you know, and I also love how Jodi's designs are uncomplicated. BTW, I found Jodi while researching the famous and beautiful Kingwell EPP Smitten quilt that so many folks stitched. Here is Beth de Maille's Smitten Pinterest page if you'd like to have a gander at that. 
One design of Jodi's in particular has been in my file for a long time. I bought a number of large pieces of soft florals when I first started fabric shopping many years ago. That was back when I thought the only way to buy fabric was by the yard. They would suit that pattern well I think. More about that later.
Jodi also has a bank of free patterns to check out. I downloaded this one called the Orbit Quilt. 

  I happened to be out front pulling weeds when my latest OddBunch box got delivered. The driver, whose name was Sarmad- I get text notifications- stood there looking around and saying beautiful, beautiful. He was so nice but had to run off quickly keeping to a schedule. I really hope his time in Canada is going well. 
I'm enjoying the challenge of using whatever appears in the box. 

To date I have had a number of items that I never buy and a few that are new to me..blackberries and radishes that I know of but never buy, tiny cucumbers called Poppers, limes, apricots, butter beans, beets, various squashes, a huge crispy living lettuce head with the roots attached and when I looked it up, had been grown with hydroponics. There are always a number of organic items, which I never buy at the grocery store. Beth and I think these are available because of how expensive groceries are esp. the organic these days.

And speaking of food, I showed you my mini muffin pan last time. That's melted chocolate there and my special vanilla older daughter brought me back from Cuba.

I made these no bake 2 bite treats and I'm loving them. I used milk chocolate for my top layer instead of the dark. They have to be kept in the fridge because the mixture gets soft quickly. I added a couple of sprinkles of sea salt.

I got my recipe-very simple ingredients- from The Roasted Root but there are many versions on the net. Instead of peanut butter you could use mashed banana. Though I love bananas, I'm not crazy about the flavour in baked things ... odd I know.

 LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's Prompt this week is if we have a favourite summertime drink. I wish I could say I did enjoy a special or fun exotic drink- I could show it with one of those mini muffins. But I do drink more of my favourite sparkling water during summer time...San Pellegrino, in particular.  Here are other drinks I keep cool in the fridge...Mango juice, Kombucha, and Cranberry Ginger Ale. And I squirt lemon and lime into everything. What about you? Iced coffees maybe?
Rain falling in sheets there outside. Day 2 of that. Thank you, Beryl. 
Otherwise, all is rosy in our garden here at the Wooden House. Hope all is equally going well for you as this summer moves right along at a very snappy pace. 

22 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

We had a pair of goldfinches in our garden this week too. Lots of rain here as well. The sun is out today. Your farm box looks interesting…a jumping off point to try new recipes.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely basket of fruit and vegetables that would be interesting to get but too much for one as Mike really doesn't eat many it would just be me. favorite drink is water for me, I rarely drink juice - so other than coffee it is water occasionally tea or a diet coke.
I have not see the Seedling Quilts

piecefulwendy said...

What fun to play with all those goodies in that box! I like radishes in my salads, or just eating them with a bit of salt. The Orbit Quilt is very similar to a baby quilt I made a few years ago using paper piecing. It's a pretty quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The goldfinches are always so lovely to see! I've never thought to grow thistle just for them, but that is what we put in the feeder here that they like the most. The designs that can be made with EPP always amaze me - the Orbit Quilt is a pretty one! Lots of yummy veggies in that box, and your little chocolate and peanut butter treats sound like something we'd like, too. Have a wonderful day, Jocelyn!

Jeanna said...

We have goldfinches here but I never knew the secret of the thistle. I'll have to see if they grow here. Your quilting blocks look great, I love those peels. I also enjoy sparkling water, especially with lemon!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your goldfinch photo is picture-postcard worthy. I would be leaving the thistles in the garden too if it meant attracting more of those pretty little birds.
Your food box looks intriguing. A few years ago we joined a community food box that was advertised to be 'locally grown' produce. We thought were doing a good thing and supporting local farmers. Sadly our boxes were filled with things like oranges and bananas that quite obviously don't grow anywhere near here. The last straw happened when there were green peppers in our box that had stickers on them from the grocery store when we knew there were farmers in the area who were growing them for sale in their roadside stands.
Favourite summertime drink - I have two - ice tea and iced coffee. We discovered we really like cold brew for both so we have a pitcher in our fridge at all times.

Jenny said...

I see you have a pineapple in your box. We have been buying these regularly for about $5 each, cut them into quarters, then share a sliced quarter for lunch.Very reasonable, and so refreshing. It is winter here so I buy lots of veggies for soup, leek and potatoe, cauliflower soup, kumara soup, and I just purchased a big pumpkin, I love pumpkin soup. That will keep me happy!

Jackie said...

I love when the gold finches visit our feeders. They sing such lovely notes.

Hmmm, not sure about which fabrics are from shirts, I think that the red plaid is one though.

God bless.

Deb A said...

What a talented photographer you are! I love all the outside shots of birds and the gardens you share. (and Ned, of course!). Those treats look so yummy, I might have to try a batch. Thanks for sharing.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I just love those mini cucumbers. I didn't know what to call them but last week they "popped" into my shopping cart and now I'm obsessed. Your nine patches look great and it's even better that there are scraps from old mens shirts. The idea of repurposing fabric is so in keeping with quilting tradition. I rarely repurpose, except for denim. I should do more of that but alas, I'm a fabric shopper!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You always take the best wildlife photos, Jocelyn; I always enjoy seeing them. Those are some adorable nine patches. Is the red plaid a shirt? I collect men's shirts for quilting. You can get a lot of fabric from them. Mmmm your drink sounds so delicious and quite refreshing. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs.

Linda said...

That's a great basket of goodies! Your driver sounds like a nice man. The no-bakes look delicious - YUM!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your quilt blocks are coming together nicely! I never knew that about thistle and goldfinches. I love the idea of your farm box. I'm going to check out those free patterns. Thanks!!

Gladi Porsche said...

You projects are looking good! I wish I could photograph birds as well as you do - fabulous! I always look forward to seeing them. A summer drink? I like to mix either plain or berry flavored seltzer (2/3 - 3/4 of the glass) with Nantucket Nectar plum juice (1/4 to 1/3 of the glass) for a refreshing, low calorie drink. Other flavored juices can be substituted as well.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your photo of the finch. We have them here but I don't allow thistles in my yard (it's a small yard). But the finches love the catmint and cone flowers so they aren't starving. Those no bake treats look divine! I prefer milk choc. Did you find the recipe online?

Watching your projects progress is so much fun! I couldn't figure out the men's shirt fabrics beyond the red plaid. Have a great day!

Hubblebird said...

I can’t tell you how much that gorgeous photo of the goldfinch, and the spiritual meaning of goldfinches, spoke to me during this time in my life. Thank you.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful photo of the goldfinch. My year round drink is 2 matcha teabags in my water bottle. I just keep adding water all day. I also like to drink occasionally flavored water like La Croix, or iced latte.

maggie fellow said...

here's hoping I can find the muffin tin- thanks

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is an amazing gold finch photo! I like an iced coffee or sparkling water on a hot day. . .Sounds like you do well figuring out what to do with the contents of your "Odd box." While I like peppers, my body rebels against them. Please share what you made with the items you don't buy. Those would be a challenge to incorporate into the week!

CathieJ said...

What a pretty photo of the goldfinch on a thistle. Your nine patches and Tilda peels look great. I would think that the red plaid was definitely from a man's shirt. I like the quilts you are considering. I used to get food boxes like yours, but hubby doesn't eat much in the way of veggies and I am not someone who likes to cook out of my comfort zone. In the summer I like homemade unsweetend iced tea with a splash of lemon or grapefruit sparkling water.

Purring Cottage said...

Because we suspect bears of rampaging through our birdfeeders (they'd be left at odd places on the ground not consistent with wind blowing them down), I took the feeders down. Well, a few days ago, Mr. and Mrs. Goldfinch flew to a shepherd's hook just outside my dining room window where I hand my hummingbird feeder and just sat and looked in a longing and friendly way at me. So, I couldn't resist their polite entreaty and put the feeders back up with the plan of bringing them in the house just before bed and taking them back out in the early morning when I awaken. I haven't seen to many birds back at the feeders yet, but I'm sure they'll get the news. Just as I'm getting the news about the No Bake treats. Yummy-looking!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Enjoyed seeing all life is offering you right now! Birds, quilt blocks and food! :)