Monday 15 July 2024

Tablerunner, Morris Embroidery, Cross Stitch Finish, Show to Watch

 Mid July and it is still all about the outdoor gardens both wild and tended, for me these days. To think that just a few short months ago this was all buried under a mountain of ice and snow! And I still hold a strong awe and wonder about the whole wee seed to beautiful blossom process. But I'm thankful too to keep my indoor plants alive and doing well.

 Like the beautiful Ardisia or Coral Berry below I received for Christmas. I took it outside just for a portrait in July sunshine. It has tolerated the eggshell/banana/coffee water I've experimented with feeding it and the way I'm good at not overwatering. So, much easier to care for than I'd been led to believe too. And now getting so big I will have to think of finding another slightly larger pot but not till the fall. In the wild they can grow up to fifty feet!

A Christmas in July Plant-also called Australian Holly or Christmas Berry
Our old deliveries box finally eroded apart so I had to press into service this blue one. I keep it at the bottom of our front walkway. It saves delivery people some steps. 
My journey with number 9 in the Cottage Garden Samplings Year in the Woods series, the Woodpecker, is done. Ahh, not quite. Looking at this photo, I see a spot that needs about five more stitches. Can you see it?
He joins number 3, the Jackrabbit, that I stitched last year. 
And I'm thinking of ordering The Fox next. What an elegant fellow he is! What do you think?  Appropriate too because I am sighting many fox this summer.
But first I want to stich another bee which I 'm setting up now and will show you soon. 

I found a box of my stuff at older daughters and had fun going through it. In it was this hand stitched tablerunner I made years ago. A way to use large simple blocks.
And on the other side,  I recognized these hand embroidered motifs as William Morris designs...easy running stitch.
Meanwhile, I'm obsessing about something I watched on tv. We've been enjoying The Bear, a series on Disney and made it to season 2, episode 6 called Fishes.  I was completely unprepared for how wonderful/amazing/awful that episode would be so was idly stitching away when it began. Within minutes I had to put down the stitching. For there was Jamie Lee Curtis playing Carman's alcoholic mother, Bob Odenkirk as an uncle and Sarah Paulson playing a cousin in what becomes a wild and riveting display of Christmas family kitchen/dining complicated and unrelenting drama.  Americans do these scenes so well! Years ago, Home For the Holidays had a similar effect on me.
Jeremy Allen White is awesome in it too.

When I was thinking of starting a blog, I'd thought of writing one about books or movies or both. When I retired I promised myself I would watch a movie five days of the week...the work week. I love all genres of movies and have a lot of patience with the acting and plots though sometimes I wish I was in on the editing, LOL. That last bit goes for books I read too. 
It's good to keep up our interests, isn't it. Fun and therapeutic too. 






19 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your plants and stitching all look so well - it must be so nice to enjoy outside at this time of year. Here it is so beastly hot this past couple weeks that I have barely been outside to do anything other than errands. If I manage to get outside early I can pull some weeds and pick tomatoes. It was 97 at 12:15 so you have an idea of the heat I talk of - it dropped to 95 a little while ago LOL - and still to hot to venture outside. The a/c is on, Mike has been ill with a bad cold or something for 2 days now so I expect it will be my turn soon although a lot of times I do not catch whatever he has - he does have a doctor appointment in the morning so we will find out what it is he has.

Out To Pasture said...

Your Coral Berry is spectacular, Jocelyn!
I'd love to watch 'The Bear' series but my Disney Plus account does not have it listed. I'm thinking you might have a Hulu combo.
I do like the proud looking fox in the cross stitch pattern.

PaintedThread said...

Your woodpecker is coming along! You definitely need that fox!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Loved Home for the Holidays! Your Australian Holly looks so healthy. I think elegant Mr. Fox is definitely a winner....beautiful! I can't find fault with your woodpecker. A nice find that beautiful runner xx

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great job on the woodpecker! This is a wonderful series of Cross stitch pictures. My friend Cathy is doing the reindeer at the moment. The fox looks it will be fun to stitch.

Linda said...

I can't believe the Woodpecker is done, great work. I like the Fox for your next one. What an absolutely gorgeous plant is your Christmas Berry, the concoction you're feeding it is working splendidly.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Christmas Berry plant is amazing! You have a really green thumb, Jocelyn. I love those Year in the Woods stitcheries - the fox will be a wonderful addition to the group. Do you have plans for how you'll finish them? We have not watched "The Bear," but you're making it sound interesting!

Robin said...

Congratulations on finishing your woodpecker. It looks great. I didn't notice any missing stitches. The plant with the berries is amazing. I travel so little I'm aways fascinated by plants from other places. But, you reminded me to go out and water my house plants on my front porch. They get absolutely no direct sunlight out there but they still can dry out.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't think I've ever seen that plant before and yours certainly looks like it's doing marvelously.
I think you should do the fox if only to remind yourself of seeing the real thing.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love watching movies too! I promised myself I would watch so many movies once I was retired but it hasn't happened yet. I love the fox cross stitch. It's fun to find older projects. Sometimes, I forget ever having worked on them!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Australian Holly looks fabulous. I am intrigued by your banana/eggshell/ coffee water.Oh yes, the handsome Fox would be a perfect stitch to work on. Have a fabulous day. Joceyln.Hugs

Out To Pasture said...

Just an update, Jocelyn. I discovered the reason I was not seeing The Bear on offer at Disney was because my profile was set to PG-14. Ha!!
So I fixed that and now can enjoy The Bear series.

Angela said...

Your cross stitch projects are adorable! Such fun critters!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful plant
The fox is a gorgeous design. Lovely stitching all

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You definitely need to pick up the fox! What a great design! Your plants look great. I too marvel at how nature can go from barren to green to barren in a few months. I do enjoy the green time of the year!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

That Coral Berry plant is beautiful! It really likes your experimental feeding, I think! The Woodpecker is great. I know you are happy to have it finished as I'm sure you've added those few missing stitches by now! The Rabbit is fantastic too! I definitely think the Fox should be next! Love your hand-stitched table runner too. What an awesome find! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your cross stitches are so beautiful, Jocelyn!!! Love the pileated woodpecker!!! And the rabbit! And the fox!!! They're each stunning pieces!!!

Michelle said...

I love your cross stitch work and wish I could do the same!! I am also in awe as I am harvesting tomatoes and cannot believe they started from a tiny seed....and so delicious! I have watched three seasons of The Bear and while I think it is good, I can't believe it is listed as a comedy. Thanks for linking up!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a pretty plant!!! and a great idea to leave a delivery box.
What a fun table runner. its cool to see things we made a while ago. Stay cool!