Sunday 1 October 2017

What Dessert For a Heat Wave

  Having daily heat warnings in late September was such a new thing for us here in Ontario.  Luckily it hadn't been continually muggy with it which is the part I dislike and can actually feel a little overcome.  Like the old time swooning ladies, LOL.

But that is certainly over. On my early morning walk with Rex and Murphy, there was a light frost over all the grass and a mist over the pond.

Time for a weekly dessert recently and no way was I turning on my oven.  I wanted something with no baking but my mouth was craving something sweet.  I had bought cream cheese to make a baked cheese cake but then remembered one I used to make as a young wife that didn't require baking.  An assembly style cheesecake.
You just have to think of something these days and there is a video on Youtube for it.  So here is the one I followed, more or less.




 But I didn't have real cream so I substituted a container of CoolWhip instead.  (NO there is nothing low cal or good for you in this dessert). And mine looks much flatter because I used my giant old Corning Ware casserole dish instead of a spring form pan.



I really enjoyed it and of course it goes without saying that Hubby loved it.  The way to that man's heart is definitely through his stomach!



I am disappointed that BBC has canceled this show. (Apparently, it lost out in ratings when stacked against a celebrity reality show.) I enjoyed the language so much and would try to remember some of the phrases they put together for character dialogue.  I don't know if folks really had such fine commands of the English language back then but I admired it; I don't like how some period pieces occasionally slip into present day speech ( Downton Abbey comes to mind).

                    Image result for ripper street


What is in my Rooms Bag?




The Rooms is a beautiful museum in St.John's, Newfoundland and Labrador by the way. I tend to buy bags where ever I go because they are such pretty and useful souvenirs.

This, the start of the Ticking Stripe scarf from Purl Soho.  The hardest part was the casting on of 490 stitches.   I luckily followed the pattern's advice to mark every 50 stitches so if you lost count you wouldn't have to start all over.



I'll show you the picture from Purl Soho.

Image result for purl soho ticking stripe wrap

This is my first time using yarn labelled fingerling.  It took a little getting used to but I am now okay with how not tight the stitches look.  I'm knitting this in the basement where it was so cool these days compared to the rest of the house. However, I find I can't take my eyes off it as both the circular needles and wool are kind of thin and it is easy to make a mistake even with this simple pattern.  Basically stockinette stitch.

Hope your needles are flying or whatever it takes to make you content to be in your house safe and sound this very first Sunday of October.







No comments :