Sunday 16 June 2019

Does Her Neck Look Okay?

Hubby has been busy mowing. Kitchen window view to the left on Thursday.
Tilly the wild Turkey visited the front yard again this week.  Does her neck look okay to you?
I got a couple of sewing items in the mail.  I've never used these needles before- the Bohin needles from France which sounds posh as Hubby would say.  For certain projects like applique, I prefer shorter needles. I usually use John James. But so many of you recommend the Bohin I thought I would give them a try.
And how do you like my Murhpy mug as I call it?  I bought it to mark her coming to live with us.
And it is sitting on one of the dish cloths knit by my Mom when she was 84 (sadly at 86 her fingers no longer allow her to knit). I use the smaller ones as rug mugs.
 A couple of hanks of Valdani 6 ply floss just to try. But will they be worth the $3 a skein price! Gulp!
Murphy checking out the pond area in the rain.While the west end of Ottawa was still clearing up from the May flooding, the east end experienced a small tornado. The weather guy has warned that we are likely to see more of this unsettled, almost unheard of weather this summer. Hope he is dead wrong!
                           
Before I forget I wanted to show you this.
 The blogging world has led to the discovery of many things for me...one being the heritage of Dutch quilting. I came across this book Dutch Flower Pot Quilts by Anja Townrow available used on Abe Books (CLICK) for a very low cost. They offer an abundance of quilting books and other needlework as well as many other subjects, so stay and have a look around this site.  It is like a mini Book Depository.
                              Dutch Flower Pot Quilts: Marjorie L. Russell; Anja Townrow
After cloudy skies yesterday, we have been blessed with steady sunshine this morning. Glorious!
I have this in my lap-
Hope you have sunny skies and something wonderful in your lap too!
So glad to link this post with Kathy's Quilts, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Busy Hands Quilts, Powered By QuiltingThe Jesh Studio and Viewing Nature With Eileen.

18 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate paying so much for thread but have on occasion - don't know if it is worth it though :) I have a package of Bohin needles and I have rarely used them, they are tossed in a drawer with all the others have tried and then put aside and go back to my Roxanne needles I just don't seem to care for others but will use a larger needle to work with wool and heavy thread of course - I don't remember which brand I used for that. I don't see anything wrong with the turkeys neck except mine is looking more like it every year!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I guess Murphy does not mind the rain. The turkey looks ok to me, but I am not expert on turkey necks. The Dutch Flower pot quilt would be pretty. Thanks for linking up your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy week ahead.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Quilts are so darn pretty, and comfy too! That turkey neck looks a bit thin and bare to us.

Julierose said...

Prices have skyrocketed for all things sewing I find...
but it's nice to work with fine threads--after all, all that time and effort going into the works...Love that dutch Flower Pot cover...
Hope your new posh needles work a treat for you hugs, Julierose

Miaismine said...

I'm so happy your splurged on your thread - it will give you joy as you work with it! How beautiful to have something made by your sweet mama....and goodness! Your cross stitch is so lovely - as is your yard! Thank you for sharing!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a scary weather forecast; hopefully, it will not happen. That Dutch flower pot is lovely. I don't know a thing about turkeys, but Tilly looks well fed. I sure wouldn't mind doing dishes at that view. Thanks for all the lovelies! mary

Yvonne said...

The longer and flexibele needles are perfect for applique work.
Looks like your weather is nice and sunny!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a lovely view out your kitchen window! Glad you've had some sun and lots of green. I do think this has been an unsettled weather year all over N. America! Love seeing your new supplies and that beautiful cross-stitch project. Enjoy your stitching time today, Jocelyn!

Nancy J said...

Scraggy is what I would call that neck, maybe they are all like that. Love the flower pots, and the threads, and the sunshine too. A view like that, beautiful, mown lawn, shrubs and flowers, truly lovely.

Jenny said...

Your cross stitch is coming along really well, and looks wonderful. Hello to Murphy, and Rex too of course.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm running a little late on reading my friend's posts. Your weather pattern must be a lot like ours in Northern Indiana. I'm thinking that I might have to re-think how much time I can actually spend outside as we are having days of rain on end with only a day or two sun between. I have bought from Abe's Books quite a few times. Also Better World Books which is located 5 miles from me. I love that dutch flower pot. Fabric and thread prices are on the rise in the US anyway, probably the tariffs taking effect. I'll use my stash as I can. Your cross stitch is lovely.
xx, Carol

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love your mug! And I will be interested in hearing a review of your new needles because I've never tried them either. I've never tried the Valdani floss either, but I do love their pearl cottons.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the puppy!
Now, we're in a heat wave. Crazy weather.

Glenda said...

So nice to meet you Jocelyn on my blog this morning, thanks for visiting, I have enjoyed the last 15 minutes visiting you. Love those purple Iris , there are some famous paintings in Japan of purple Iris I all ways wanted to make a quilt of them????? Cheers Glenda

Angie said...

Jocelyn - love the view out your kitchen window … just so glad we don't have grass to mow anymore. Isn't it funny how we try new things but mostly go back to our "tried and true"? I clicked on Tilly to make her bigger and see more detail on her neck, but it didn't help. Just hope she's not covered with ticks? We are having a bumper tick season this year!

Junieper/Jesh said...

Always interested to read about my Dutch countrymen by others:) The acorn design and colors in your sidebar is awesome! Would be special if you share this with All Seasons! Hope to see you there soon (the link is open from Sunday to Friday!) Have a lovely week Jocelyn:)

http://Junieper/Jesh said...

Great to have you see linked up! The view of your garden is lovely! Don't know the the turkey's garden looks okay ---don't know how they are supposed to look like, but the expression on his face makes me laugh:) Have a great rest of the week!

K Reeves said...

The plant snap ap sounds very interesting! I just enjoy reading your blog Jocelyn!