Sunday 9 June 2019

Thrift Shop Surprises, SAL Update

Early morning warmth, the first of the season, led me outside early and down to the pond with my camera.  I had in mind to look for the small flock of ravens that hangs out to the left around the little wetland area.  Sure enough five of them were there moving about on the ground with their hobbled, hoppy way of walking. I thought I was soundless, but of course, wasn't and before I even adjusted the camera, they took off filling the air with mad squawks. I  wonder what is their intention there every morning or perhaps they roost there overnight. I haven't figured that out.
One day I did catch a couple hurried shots of Canada geese gliding about the pond. Hurried because these alert easily as well.  Two are seen together often for several years now and I wonder would they be the same ones.  I was pleased with this shot when I got to look at it on the computer later.  Such a distinctive chin strap.
Thrift shopping is a fun outing for me and it is not just about the bargains. You can find things in these stores that are unique and different, items you do not see in any regular stores these days.   Here are some things I bought recently when I did my drop off.
My love of china, tea cups, plates, whatever, continues. I cannot resist looking through the well stocked kitchen area. I didn't question buying the large plate below. I love the blues but also can't resist the pink when I come across them.   This Old English Staffordshire piece depicts the French fort at Lake Chaplain, New York.  Each plate has a different floral garland which is interesting. At $20 US on ebay, it is a bit of a collector's piece.  I paid $1.99.
No need to wonder why I bought this numbered piece, Loyal Companion by Bruce Langton...so like our Murphy girl.  We both enjoy dog memorabilia celebrating the dogs we own and have owned.
I know what this book costs new because it had the tag still on it.  I don't think the cover has ever been cracked.  I love America's Test Kitchen shows.
This heavy bag of scrap fabrics priced at $9.99 was debatable but I am so happy I made the decision to buy it.
 Scraps on the outside but inside were hiding three yards of Sandy Gervais Nature's Christmas fabric for Moda.  Also other coordinating pieces too. I checked and it is $13 a yard Canadian.
As well as two large pieces of this fun fabric...Treelicious by Maude Ashbury.
I got a 20% off coupon for donating so that helped with the bottom line.  Pure guilt free shopping.

I had to push myself to finish my cross stitching goal for this month.  My arms were a bit tired from all the weed pulling and repotting which just shows me how out of shape my arms really are. I guess plying a needle doesn't build muscles. :) But most of the garden plots have had some attention at this point and I won't be doing any more planting so my weakling arms will have plenty of time to recover.  I like how the two shades of floss made this interesting basket weave like pattern.
Propped on our knickknack shelf...
I have vines and leaves left to finish and to add a date as well. In anticipation of finishing this slow stitching Sunday and veranda stitching (yah!), I have prepped an embroidery project from Nancy Nicholson. More about that later.
Meanwhile I appreciate the incentive provided by linking monthy with the SAL group led by Avis at
Sewing Beside the Sea.  It has been a great experience to visit each other and offer encouragement.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHelenLindaHeidiJackieSunnyHayley,MeganCatherineDeborah, Clare, Mary MargaretReneeJennyCarmelaJocelynSharon

To those of you sweltering, stay cool and those feeling wintry breezes, bundle up. Our extraordinary natural world continues to fascinate.
Linking with Kathy's QuiltsViewing Nature With EileenPaying Ready Attention and I'd Rather B Birdin.










30 comments :

Kim said...

Your cross stitch sampler is beautiful. Isn't thrift shopping the best fun. You certainly happened upon some fabulous acquisitions. The basket of fabric scraps turned out to be a bonanza and the Labrador plate is very sweet. It is such a pity that hours and hours of hand stitching doesn't do much for the toning of our arms, isn't it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great capture of the Goose. I love the plate with the black lab, they are wonderful family dogs. Your embroidery is beautiful. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

CathieJ said...

I love that cross-stitch. The colors are so rich and that basket is beautiful. You got some great finds at the thrift shop. The fabric, book and blue plate would all be items that I would pick up. I wish we had a good shop nearby. I finally found one that I can donate to, but I haven't shopped it yet.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes piling a needle doesn't build muscle :) my leg muscles are still killing me from mulch work! I guess all those squats are telling me my legs are pitifully out of shape even with walking. These finds at the bargain store WOW! the fabric you show is a good steel and the plate I love it

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, you cleaned up big at the thrift store! I am a thrifting junkie too. Love your stitchery.

K Reeves said...

I have the same problem with my hands when gardening season begins. I finally bought some rubber dipped gardening gloves, and that has helped a lot, though I don't like the smell when I take them off. At least it goes away with a simple wash! The sampler is sooo lovely!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great purchase with the bag of fabric!
And congrats on the stitching accomplishment... the basket texture is very cool!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You hit the jackpot with your bag of fabric from the thrift shop, Jocelyn! I like that blue plate, too, and your mention of pink made me think of a large soup tureen with a lid and a platter in a pink design that I have from my grandmother. I need to get it out of the cupboard and take a photo to share - maybe you'll know something about it. Your stitching is so pretty and detailed - hope you enjoy some time working on it today!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Lots of pretty things! Cool goose, we love watching them on our lake too.

Pyros & Patch said...

Hello! What beautiful photos of nature! You found some interesting porcelain and good fabrics in the shop! I also love going to vintage shops ... Good work and good summer
Carmela

Nancy J said...

Thrift shops or as we call them down here " Op shops" have some wonderful surprises. I head to the curtains and duvets, then crockery, and what a wonderful plate to add to your collection. The stitching, love that basket, it is all looking like a finish will be very soon.

carol fun said...

Fabulous sampler!!! I need to hit some of the thrift stores ...haven't done it for a while and I really enjoy it... you got some great deals ...happy stitching!

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

Well done on all the bargains and also your cross stitch progress. It's so close to a finish now :-)

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely sampler, and what great bargains you got!

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

What a successful shopping trip, I love a rummage in a charity shop (as we call them here), good for the planet too, to give something a new home rather than buying brand new all the time. Your cross stitch is looking beautiful too, the basket is really effective x

Jenny said...

Your cross stitch is coming along so well!

Cindy said...

Love your stitching. The basket is really pretty and I like the Quaker border

Hootin Anni said...

I love thrifting! And I so love your goose photo! Great reflection...thanks so much for linking up with us at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

Jenn Jilks said...

What fun!
I've been doing some online auctions.
I've been weeding like mad. It consumes the garden. Yay spring, though!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love a good yard sale or thrift store find, and you hit the jackpot this week! Love all those Christmas fabrics, not to mention the blue and white plate. So lovely.

Gun said...

It´s a very beautiful embroidery you are stitching on!

Lynn said...

That's an amazing shot of Canadian geese, just beautiful. Good luck with the scraps too.

Clare said...

I too enjoy seeing how two different coloured threads can show off the weave of a basket. Happy Stitching.

Yvonne said...

Such beautiful cross stitch you are making! Love that border!
I am a thrift store lover, especially when I am visiting America. I have found some pretty little treasures to take home from our travels.
You found the cutest plates!

Marie said...

Your basket is drop dead gorgeous, even if you have weakling arms :). What a deal you got on that bundle of fabric - that will make you feel better.

Lindashee said...

That pictures is great ! and well done on the basket , it's gorgeous :D

QuiltGranma said...

You found some mighty fine finds at the thrift store! Loving that embroidery you are doing.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - is that a new header? Fab, darling. The shot of the Canada goose is special; the way the neck is stretched out accentuates the coloring. Your "blue plate special" resonates with me due to its similarity to plates we used to have at home - last December my Mom gave me the last three plates that remained. Good for you to push yourself with your stitching. I can relate to hand pain - I have been doing so much work with my hands lately that I can feel it, especially in my thumbs!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm a sucker for thrift stores too - so many possibilities! We used to do a lot of yard sales before we downsized to the apartment but now we don't have the need/space for too much. Love finding crafting supplies (and a wardrobe update) at the thrifts though.

Renee said...

Beautiful stitching!