Thursday 20 June 2019

Free Apps, Lovely Vlog and My, What a Long Beak You Have!

Thanks for the comments on the new header. Someone said "you are the chick, Jocelyn." No she looks like a spring chick and believe me, I am no spring chicken! Was I ever a chick? No don't think so...I was always told I was born old. My mother has also told me I was a walking health book from the time I started taking Health as a subject in school. When smoking was the rage, she said there was no way they would have gotten away with smoking, not with me in the house.
But little chick is round on the bottom which is a little like me.

Two free apps I'm enjoying and thought I would share with you.
This one is  Cryptic Crossword which is one of Hubby's pastimes and now he's gotten me into them.
 They always seemed very cryptic to me till I actually really tried to work out one and realized I could. But they are more of a brain exercise than crosswords as you have to think of a number of different ways of solving a clue. Here is an example. Sadly, Blogger is blurring the photo but 12 across is the clue "Father's attempt to get pie-crust"  and the answer is "pastry"  as in pa's try.
On second thought, perhaps you have to be nerds like us to like this. :)
And this one which I tested out already called PlantSnap Plant Identification.
I tested it on this little clump of flowers in the backyard.
It immediately provided me with two names for it, one being the Blood Iris.  I was impressed.  This app will be put to good use around the property.  I will be trying it out on trees because we have a lot here I would like to put a name to.
Are you using any apps that the rest of us would enjoy?  With over 2 million available, there have to be more that I could use. Please let me know.  All topics welcome.

Also the world of vlogs keeps on growing.
 I happened upon Rachel and her Youtube vlog called Sew Ray Me. She has been uploading a video every day for the month of June; there is a calming quality to her productions as she shares her daily routine, meals and very talented sewing. Her love of domesticity and contentment with the simple things in her life are absolutely lovely to watch.
Hubby surprised me with this little gift one day. He bought it because the tag said it was an oriole feeder and he knew I've been wanting one. But so far, only hummingbirds have used it and quite frequently so it is a hit with them.  I know nothing about these tiny birds. Can someone identify this one?
They may be tiny but they must win the prize for the longest beaks!
 I've looked at this wall so much and wondered what am I doing??? The good, no great thing is this used up a lot of scraps so a success from that point of view.  So charging onward...I've decided to make a few more blocks of the nine little squares each to even out the rows and I've also picked a kind of neutral grey tone on tone material for the sashing.
That's this one, part of the Uptown Duets by Faye Burgos for Marcus Fabrics. It's pretty with a sort of brownish grey shade if that makes sense.
                              Image result for faye burgos fabric uptown duets
And Loyal Companion, Miss Murphy, under foot literally in the sewing room. Now I know why I find threads all over the house.  And it's a wonder I haven't killed myself tripping over her!
It would not be Thursday without linking to some blogs that celebrate thankfulness/positivity in our days. Namely Not Afraid of Color, It's A Small Town Life, and Brian's Home Blog. Also linking with Sew Fresh QuiltsEsther's Quilt Blog, Paying Ready Attention, My Quilt InfatuationBusy Hands Quilts and The Needle and Thread Network.

21 comments :

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for the info on the apps. I love cryptic word puzzles. We have one in the newspaper every day, but not a crossword one. I'm going to download that plant app and see if it identifies plants with no flowers. I think I transplanted a tall phlox, but Terry says it's a weed. If it is, there is no other one in the yard. I checked the leaves. I was NEVER a chicken..as in fraidy Cat. I would be characterized as a Lion I think. My big dog is always under foot, but we have always had big dogs so I am used to THAT. But I have this little brown Min Pin that can jump higher than any other pooch I have had. He thinks tomato pin cushions are balls so I can't place them anywhere that he can see them. We haven't had thread issues YET. We have three dogs that keep us entertained. Your blocks look great. I have acquired a taste for gray as a neutral. I really dislike using white or any off white shade. Light gray looks good with just about every color.
xx, Carol

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those apps look pretty cool to us and so is that hummer! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your hummingbird, I used to hang a feeder for them every year but I don't have one that doesn't leak right now and then ants come around. I'm not good at puzzles but I do them now and then. I have a plant app and love it

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your chick header is cute. I love your Miss Murphy and the hummer. The irises are beautiful. That is a neat app, thanks for sharing the two websites. Wishing you a happy day!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Thanks for the info on the apps. Keep making sugar water and enjoy more hummingbirds. Beautiful purple iris.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'd like to get the crossword app. I work a jig saw puzzle on my IPAD every day...it's fun! Love your flowers and that pretty little hummer! And I agree...your banner is perfect for you!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Aww, Miss Murphy at you feet. That picture just makes me smile and smile. I would love to have that constant companionship! I'll just have to make do with my bestie. I just filled my hummingbird feeder last night for the fifth time. I've been making my own syrup quite easily in the microwave. Cyrptic Crossword looks like a very fun app! I'm going to mention that to Sue - she loves doing crossword puzzles and that sounds like a more challenging one. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

You're a cool chick. That plant snap app is genius. mary

Powell River Books said...

That surprised me. I didn't know Orioles fed using feeders like that. I have two hummingbird feeders that are only getting a little action. We must have gotten them up too late for the migration going through. - Margy

PaintedThread said...

Plantsnap! I'm going to have to try that out! (I'm installing it right now) That's likely a ruby throated humming bird. They're pretty. I love how the buzz around. I am amused at your comments on your banner. :-)

Nancy J said...

love the header, and I solved the first line across!! Cryptic ones are my favourites, but when I am sent a new one, by a new compiler? Those of us who have a big interest could be called
Cruciverbalists" ,And about threads and cords and pins, I have a magic wand, that mechanics use to pick up nuts and bolts, it telescopes out, and has a magnet on the end, perfect for pins and bobbins that fall onto the carpet, it can even pick up small scissors.The bird is new to me down here, but very pretty. Just as pretty as the chick at the top.

BumbleVee said...

Hardly ever see hummers ... never did really, but used to see the occasional one. I do grow hummingbird friendly flowers ..and try to look out often to see if any happen by. They are so quick though..that even if I do see one.... I don't get a photo. Darn it.

Julierose said...

Love your design wall quilt...very pretty hugs, Julierose

Suzanne said...

I love the new header...thanks for the sewing vlog suggestion.

Michelle said...

I use the plant snap app and find it pretty accurate. I have about ten hummingbirds that visit my two feeders. The males are quite bossy and territorial. Thanks for linking up.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lucky you to have hummingbirds coming to your feeder! We put one out every year, and hardly ever see any at all - they seem to prefer the foothills and mountains a few miles west of us. I love the blocks on your design wall, Jocelyn! That's getting to be quite big. I love crosswords and word puzzles so will have to look for the ones you're showing!

Michele McLaughlin said...

What fun! I enjoyed watching the vlog too and may catch up on more episodes if the rain here continues! Your irises are stunning! I have so many books here on gardening I won't get the app but I love the idea. I think there might be one for birds and bird calls and I might get that.
The quilt blocks look great and I like your sashing choice, it is a soothing calming color! Have a great week!

LA Paylor said...

I've never watched a vlog... long but loved hearing her accent. I wanted the donut, and to see the giraffes. thanks for an always full entertaining post. Murphy, good pup! Leeanna

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

*Giggle round bottom chick* I have tried a couple of the plant identifier apps, and more often than not it can't identify the plant. Love your design wall. I not only have a dog, but a cat too that are constantly tripping me.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photo of the hummer - getting a photo of them is definitely not easy! Perhaps if you tried putting out grape jelly the orioles would come? I know they love it...and oranges too. Lucky you to have a studio helper.

Jenn Jilks said...

What great ideas!
Your helper is much like my cats. They always get on things.
I've begun crosswords, I can't do the cryptic ones, though.