Sunday 23 June 2019

June Garden, Flowery Baskets, Turmeric Vegetable Soup

Happy Summer! My cheery 2018 Baskets hanging is up on the wall to help us celebrate the season. Appliquing these scrappy blocks was so enjoyable.
I realize now that summer is all about outside the house for me. Especially on sunny days.
I go out first thing in the morning just to have a quick look round and see what may have opened since the day before. Lately I am always rewarded; things are blooming quickly now thanks to several days of sunlight in a row. It is especially fun when the newest flower is one I've forgotten all about planting.
  I go back in, have my coffee and head straight back out. Then it's close up which means weeding and pruning on my knees to ease the back from all the bending. (Hubby blames all the weeds on the abundance of rain we've had.) I limit this to an hour because I find more than that makes my right hand ache. My stitching hand, so can't have that.
But happily I've gotten to relax too outside with some veranda time sitting and stitching.
 Also I try to get in a swim every day...the only time I won't swim is if there is a thunder and lightening forecast. As I've said, swimming is the only exercise that controls these vanilla pudding thighs of mine.
Of course, we are still walking Rex and Murphy twice a day though lately, we've been taking Rex once a day as it seems to be slow going for him with a little bit of confusion involved too at times. 😢
                              English Ivy Care Guide
I used that Plant Snap App to identify my ivy plant that is about 6 years old now. It sat on top of the cabinet at the old farm and spread itself well.  In fact I made a second plant of it there on the right that I gave away.
 English Ivy or Common Ivy was what it told me; no surprise there.  It's one of those plants that can't handle direct sun but likes bright light which can be tricky to satisfy inside a house. (The orchid gets a little trickier as it needs colder temp. for part of each day as well.)
That Ivy today...still thriving and I've tried to coax it away from runners and to thicken up which it has done a little / I haven't killed it...yet.
I made a turmeric vegetable soup with added beans and coconut milk.  It was tasty. Similar recipe here called Anything You Have Coconut Curry Soup at the Pinch of Yum site. We both like curry so it works for us and I make it in one form or another a lot.
 Helped me feel better about the quick meal of hot dogs we'd had the day before.  Hubby just loves hot dogs...me not so much.  Mom was always distrustful of wieners, as in not knowing what went in them; consequently, we did not eat them growing up.  Maybe that is why I feel like I do.

At first I thought this was the female cardinal I was watching through the window. But it is the male...the colours not nearly as bright as earlier in the season but still beautiful...kind of purplish-puce? Unperturbed by the steady rainfall that day.
My cross stitched Cornwall Cottage Sampler is finished so it's back to the baskets today for a little late afternoon stitching hopefully on the veranda.  I will have no trouble meeting my June OMG this time!
Hope all is rosy in your June garden literally and figuratively!
So happy to link this post with kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkEm's Scrapbag, and Love Laugh Quilt.





15 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you have had a busy day - I'm not too good with plants in the house and things tend to die when I try them in here. I have heard swimming is good exercise but I never learned how

Nancy J said...

At our other home, I too, had the spring and summer mornings out in the garden, a gentle stroll, and huge delight as I found each new bulb or flower opening. Here, I can walk to the mail box in slippers instead of gumboots , collect the paper, and have coffee by the fire. Your Cardinal, birds seem to be unaware of rain sometimes, and sit here on the power lines and sing their hearts out.He is so beautiful.

Julierose said...

Your basket hanging is lovely--and those little baskets look so pretty...hugs, Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

I agree, your baskets are totally beautiful...and that soup looks darn yummy!

Lynn said...

Your gardening sounds delightful. As one from the southern hemisphere I am amazed by the colour of the cardinal - always love your bird shots (though o came to your page because of patchwork). Enjoy your baskets.

Jenny said...

You have busy but happy days, doing what you love and some chores as well. Ive made soup too, curried kumara, which s a type of sweet potatoe.

Quilting Babcia said...

Those flowery baskets are so very cheerful, perfect for the summer we've all been waiting for! I understand not being able to do gardening for more than an hour at a time. I too have a fair amount of pain when bending, even when kneeling, so try to limit my time to an hour or less. Of course that leaves the bulk of the outdoor work to my husband. We are still seeing a few male cardinals here, they sing loudly every morning at dawn. They are one of our favorites.

Quilter Kathy said...

You made me laugh about wieners! We only eat them around the campfire when we're camping... not sure if it's really food or not! LOL
Enjoy your hand stitching and thanks for linking up!

loraine everard said...

That cardinal is beautiful. We don't have them in England. I really enjoyed the vlog the other day, thank you. I live in Northumberland, in the north of England, but come from Greenock in Scotland. I enjoyed listening to the Scottish accent of SewRayMe! There is a very nice lady from Northumberland with her own place on youtube, called "The last homely house east of the sea". Maybe you would like to have a look? She lives only a few miles from me, and you get to see her patchwork, garden and animals. These are lovely to watch, very peaceful. The scenery around here is beautiful, and we are very near to Hadrian's Wall and all the Roman sites along it.Seeing where people live, and their gardens etc is something I particularly enjoy about blogs, as well as the wonderful patchwork and quilting , of course!Thank you for your blog, Jocelyn, I always enjoy it!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm sorry to hear that Rex is slowing down :( Your basket quilt on the wall looks wonderful and is absolutely summery!! That's a great photo of the cardinal! Wow!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - we have a similar schedule - I always take a spin around the garden first thing looking for blooms and any place the critters have nibbled that I might need to defend. I just completed a major weeding project - several hours each day, and I can feel it all over. Been sleeping well, that's for sure. I love a good curry and that one sure looks yummy!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great likes. Why vanilla pudding thighs, why not butterscotch, or tapioca, or pistachio? ROFL sorry I digress. Great pics and I am kind of there with the garden work. I limit myself to 4 hours a day. But then not much sewing gets done.

BumbleVee said...

Cardinals..... just so amazing in their colouring..........

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Alas no garden in my life - one of the drawbacks to apartment life. I do try to keep a few houseplants alive, but even that is a struggle because they don't get enough light here. Your flowery baskets quilt looks great!

Janie said...

Your baskets are beautiful and it looks like more are coming.
I enjoy your photos, thanks for sharing.