Sunday 20 September 2020

Belief in Fairies, Mushrooms, Last Veranda Stitching (Sigh), Lovely QAL

 Fairy rings are on my mind today. (Of all things!)

 I ventured all over the land yesterday and photographed multiple kinds of mushrooms as well as several remarkable fairy rings. We've been oohing and ahhing on our walks about all the different mushrooms and how did they all come about this year. Perhaps the heat of July and then the wet of August. Who knows. I wish I knew a chef who could visit and pick his fill of any that are edible. They are wasted on us as I'm naturally not going to put any of these in my mouth. They're here by the hundreds this year. Never saw the like before.

Little aside I came across while looking up fairy rings. Did you know Sir Arthur Canon Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes, believed in fairies?  Here is the Wikepedia entry about this story. He saw the 1920 circa Cottingley photographs and apparently accepted them as proof of fairies. This is photo #1 of the famous 5.

Here is another article where we learn how much those photos are worth on Antiques Roadshow decades later.

Back to earth, I spent most of last Wednesday outdoors and it was glorious. Warmish and sunny, I probably did the last of veranda stitching for 2020. Actually I was out on the back deck where the sun was shining unlike the shady veranda.  I also finished the last of the Dreamy Hearts and am piecing the final sections together which involves machine stitching the front and hand stitching the batting and backs. I'll show photos of that later. Still loving it all and thinking it will make a warm Christmas gift. 

A free and very interesting QAL is happening at For the Love of Geese. It is called The Tree of Life and features log cabin blocks. Making a quilt with that block is on my long list for someday.

I love how Hubby keeps himself occupied and busy with his various projects. Here he is in his corner of the basement where I don't venture often just like he is with my sewing room. He's sprucing up one of his auction buys.  What a difference a coat of paint can make!

Well I have tea to drink and some big stitch hand quilting to get to. Hope your Sunday is a safe and peaceful one. 


Happy to join Kathy's Quilts where the slow stitchers are linking up today.

20 comments :

Kim said...

Wow, you have fabulous mushrooms lurking in your neck of the woods; such pretty patterns. Who knows, perhaps if you look closely underneath those mushrooms, a sweet fairy will smile back at you. Well, if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies, then it must be true. Your husband has a great workshop there. Those hearts of yours are so pretty, Jocelyn.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those are some really interesting mushrooms. We believe in fairies too and our Sister Seal loves to chase fairy lights!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy slow Sunday stitching day to you! Lovely hearts! A nice variety of mushrooms...I saw quite a few different ones on a recent hike as well as a puffball. We are off for a walk in a few moments. It’s a beautiful sunny day here.

Deb A said...

What a great variety of mushrooms you have! I hope it is providing some protection for those fairies. Enjoy your stitching today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very pretty mushrooms - we have a lot here too and I wouldn't have a clue which are ok to eat and which aren't so I leave them alone! have a good day!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects. I think I have some like those yellow ones except they are cream colored in between my neighbor's and my side yard. Your QAL is lovely.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh what a variety of mushrooms you found! I don't know enough to attempt eating them either. They are very pretty anyway and kind of fun when your walking I bet. Your stitches look lovely around those hearts

Radka said...

Oh, how we will miss stitching outside! We are having few good days right now, although too windy to leave any fabric lying on the table, but pleasant anyway.
With autumn coming a hope of more mushrooms - see my post before the last one, a good find :-)
Have a good week,
xx

Jenny said...

Oh those mushroom, there must be fairies around in the woods too!
So pleased you are sensible and resist picking and eating them, much too risky if you are not a mushroom expert. But they are fun to admire an photograph and dream of fairies close by.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am very fortunate in that I have a friend who used to teach mycology at the University of Waterloo and he tells which species are edible, and the taste is fabulous - rich and earthy. I guess I had better make sure I am always on good terms with my friend the mycologist!

Ruth Hiebert said...

i know there are edible mushrooms, but for me all they do is make good photo subjects . You got some nice pictures of them.

MissPat said...

I think it's wonderful that your hubby has his own interests to keep him occupied and restoring thrift finds is a perfect way to spend some time. I don't think I've ever seen that many different kinds of mushrooms around here. Some years we see them, but I don't think I've seen any this year. Yes, the days of stitching outside are quickly dwindling. I've stayed inside all weekend and played hooky from the garden, even though I know I will regret that later. Just not motivated to deal with it right now.
Pat

Michelle Ridgway said...

Yes those mushrooms conjure up thoughts of wee faeries! Love your hearts xx

Linda said...

Those mushrooms! Sitting in sunlight and hand-stitching on a warm-ish day is really peaceful. I like your husband's lab coat. My husband will miss his building when we move, but he has a nice sized garage to look forward to starting some projects.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've talked to a number of people who are really noticing the mushrooms this year. There was even a segment on the news today about them. It's amazing the incredible variety there are.

QuiltGranma said...

You've got me laughing! Love those beautiful mushrooms/toad stools. Your hubby reminds me of a mad scientist working on Frankenstein with his white coat!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There's nothing more fun than seeing your husband in his happy place working on a favorite project! I love catching Mike at work, too. Those different mushrooms are really fascinating! So glad your pretty hearts are progressing right along, too. Looking forward to seeing the finish!

Jenn Jilks said...

Don't you love the little mushroom surprised?!
You have great projects!

Mad Cat Quilts said...

What great mushrooms! Lovely finds!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the stitches around the heart quilt! Nice to have hubby’s that have their projects also - gives us more time to quilt! Hugs