Sunday 13 September 2020

Halloween Patterns, Scrappy Blocks, Autumn Signs, Redwork Birds

The sunlight in waves yesterday alternating with clouds - we walk in light then dark then light again. The tree tops all moving to wind imperceptible to us way down here on the path. No sign of the turtles-have they already taken to their muddy winter home? But there are fresh signs of autumn. 

This white hydrangea gets tinged with pinks when the overnight temperatures drop.
We had our first frost warning so I will have to get the geraniums brought inside. They are fairly hardy  though so no rush just yet. This year I dragged one of the old apple baskets out to the laneway to use when the old barrel finally collapsed. This is on its last legs as well.
                                              
I enjoy sighting American Goldfinches and they stay around here through our winters too. How do they do it I wonder.  Frequent visitors to my feeders so maybe the sunflower seeds help out. 
I stitched a redworked series of birds years ago; patterns from Crabapple Hill Studios called Flight of Fancy and are still available there.  I repeat myself by saying I must get them sewed together sometime.

 I mentioned I was doing some scrap management in this post.  In the process I found these blocks and put them on the wall in the t.v. room to have a gander at.  I liked this staggered block arrangement.  I'm going to keep out my scrap bag of smaller scraps to sew more of those tiny blocks together.  I checked and I still have black fabric for the centers. If I just sew one every now and then, I will eventually get there, says she hopefully.

I've been working on the Quilt Bible blocks here and there.  This is Block #56, Spinning Pinwheel which is in Section 2, Pinwheels and Windmills. 

And this one that I stitched with red before I tackled the Solidarity blocks but happy now as it will match. This is Block #157, New Jersey, a square in a square block from Section 6 with that name.                                          

There is a Quilt Block Mania QAL happening with many fine designers offering free patterns for 29 Halloween blocks. You can find all the details at Powered By Quilting or any of the designers participating. How generous these folks are to give away such cute patterns. 

                               

Working outside in the garden today so I've already made my mind up to have a Delissio deep dish frozen pizza for supper ( I add spinach and extra peppers, tomatoes and cheese); Hubby is braving the Canadian Tire Store for their irresistible weekend deals.  So continues our quiet but utterly satisfactory life here at the wooden house.

Hope your weekend's swell! 

Something else that's swell...these linky parties. Kathy's QuiltsLife in PiecesQuilting Patchwork AppliqueSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsPretty Piney , Super Scrappy and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework





34 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your fall is so pretty with the colors you show, ours will be a little way off still - I have one tree that starts to lose it's leaves early but not a pretty color kind of drab yellow the nice colors will be here the end of October normally. My hydrangea which is blue looses it's pretty bright blue early from the heat I guess and turns more of a drab pink for the end of summer and well into fall.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such pretty things and your stitching of the bird is really nice!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

A fun post with beautiful plants, beautiful stitchery and beautiful quilt blocks, and a bonus link to free patterns. Thanks!

Deb said...

I love seeing the signs of autumn posted, living in Florida we don't get much of a season change. Love the redwork bird your stitching is beautiful

Gretchen Weaver said...

Autumn is definitely there at your home. Love the scrappy quilt with the black and the redwork is lovely. Happy stitching!

MissPat said...

Your hydrangea is just glorious right now. Do you bring some in to dry? My 30 year tree hydrangea looks like it is fading away. Makes me very sad and at this point I probably will not try to replace it. I like the redwork bird and yes, you should definitely finish putting that project together. Fall is definitely on the way and I must get the geraniums and begonias prepped for their move indoors. And I have some African Violets to repot while I can still do the work outdoors where it's easier to deal with the mess.
Pat

Libby in TN said...

We had a family of goldfinches at the feeder yesterday, all jostling for position to get on one of the two perches. Also a pair of bluebirds. Last year we had a family of bluebirds camping near our chimney and I could hear the babies chirp inside the fireplace. No sign of any this year until yesterday. I wonder if they are migrating ...

Quilting Babcia said...

The first signs of fall are appearing here too, a few trees are coloring up and the understory is well along. Hummingbirds have just left on their migration. Our goldfinches are feasting on the sunflowers now, a good thing since our occasional black bear stopped by and tore down their feeder a few nights ago. I love your spinning pinwheel block, especially the black floral fabric, so striking.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the goldfinch stitchery! So many lovely autumn sights!

Laura said...

Love the hydrangea! I have tried to grow hydrangea, but have never had any success.

The bird redwork is very lovely! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Autumn is here, for sure.
I have two barrels that are just about done for. Nothing lasts for ever!!!!Great quilting.

Radka said...

I love the dark fabric of your pinwheel, and the redwork is so nice :-)
xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Always enjoy the views from your walks, Jocelyn! Beautiful leaves already, and look at that hydrangea, too. I love your scrappy blocks! They'll be fun to play with, and you definitely will have something out of them soon!

Jenny said...

I always love seeing your garden photos. And yes, you really must get those gorgeous bird stitcheries assembled, better add this one to your list!
Are you still making the occasional flag block? I only ask because I've started making them too now!

Miaismine said...

What a fun post! Your hand stitching as well as your blocks are lovely! I'm very curious about your Quilt Bible blocks! Very neat idea!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

(swoon...) That hydrangea is gorgeous! And all your blocks are lovely too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Yvonne said...

I love the arrangement you have for those scrappy blocks!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects, and beautiful leaves! Love the redwork block! Happy stitching!

PaintedThread said...

Your flowers are beautiful. I always love your redwork. Those scrappy blocks look great.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--your hydrangea is just gorgeous! I stitched the Flights of Fancy blocks years ago also. I used a different alternate block though--it seemed like the pattern blocks were kind of chunky next to the embroidery. Your scrappy blocks are very fun!

Louise said...

I know the birds that overwinter do really benefit from bird feeders, especially the females. Who wouldn't want a sunflower seed snack in the winter months? A little taste of summer! That New Jersey block is really vibrant, and your little scrappy black centered squares are so cute :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh my first frost warning. We did enjoy the artic blast that came down from Canada this week, it felt so good. Your hydrangea is gorgeous

piecefulwendy said...

Our hydrangea tree hasn't begun to blush yet, but I expect it will soon. Pretty little gathering of geraniums too! Your quilt blocks are lovely.

Eva H. said...

You are so good handworker.This type of "Autumn"is nice.But I love the Spring time.I´m embroidering very much now.
I wish very nice day for all☺

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such lovely Autumn colours...the Hydrangea is a picture. Love your Goldfinch redwork. You seem to have a food amount of progress on your projects x

Nana said...

Wow, the leaves already turn red. Not here yet, but hopefully very soon. Can´t wait for autuum to come.

Nana

Kate said...

Lots going on in your sewing room. That's a fun scrappy project. Have you considered doing it as a leaders and enders project? It's not fast, but it moves you steadily towards a finish. Thank you for sharing the link to the Halloween quilt along, looks like lots of fun.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh send me Fall weather! Your Redwork is so pretty! AND the flowers are just beautiful! Have a wonderful day! Monday the beginning of a new week! Hugs

QuiltGranma said...

LOVE that hydrangea! Bring some in and let it dry like that for winter flower pieces! One of our neighbors has already put up pumpkin banners on their fence!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We went for a drive last week and were surprised at the amount of change there'd already been in the trees. Pretty to see, but sad too. Your hydrangea looks spectacular!

Stewart M said...

Nice colours - we are getting are spring colours here now!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

A lovely walk in your garden! I really should find birds to embroider.
Be safe
xx, Carol

Helen said...

Gorgeous signs of autumn!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks!
Thanks for sharing ;)