Friday 25 September 2020

Two Beauty Products, Wisdom, Foxy Visit, Triangle Quilt Decisions

 These three things below were birthday gifts and I thought I'd share them with you. I've mentioned Eckhart Tolle before and how much I love his writing. Saying that though, it is kind of involved in a way and you need to keep your wits about you if you are to take anything away. But I do enjoy his talk about the need to banish negative thoughts and as he puts it, making sure the present now is your friend not your enemy. 

I think I'm addicted to lip balms so anything to do with keeping lips smooth and not feeling dry is much appreciated. This is the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask and feels like heaven on your lips. I use it all the time. Probably one of the best skin beauty products I've ever used. Here is the link to Sephora for you to check it out. It's not cheap but you only need a little at a time so a small jar will last a long time. 

There is a movement to use more organic type skin products. That little jar is deodorant from the Beautynut Skincare line.  After a lifetime of rolling/rubbing on a product, to use your fingers to paint your underarms feels odd. I'm determined to use it and finding where it is made from safflower oil, it feels nice on my fingers. It seems to be working but how would I really know with just Hubby and I here. :) Here is a link to Health Nut Shop where you can read more about it.

Meanwhile, the fox who moves across our property from time to time paid us a visit and stayed a while. He had taken a dip in the pond and came up to the driveway to shake and dry himself off. He is quite a long fellow and high on his legs which is how I think he's the same guy. 

You may remember last summer a fox took naps on this same stone driveway; I think it's him.  I'm not sure why he's so skinny as there is an abundance of red squirrels within sight of him there around the feeders. Of course, they disappeared quickly when he decided to lounge about. But if it's the same fellow, he nabbed one two winters ago and I got a photo of it. Update...looked back at the photos and this is not the same fellow who did this latter, not unless this one can grow a whole lot more fur by winter and look a lot plumper. ❗Several have let me know this lean fellow looks like a young yearling.

I don't do indoor bouquets like I used to as I now leave it all for the bees and such. But I couldn't resist making one bouquet back in August as things were starting to die down. 
I lied about the last day for veranda stitching. We have been enjoying much warmer temperatures again with lovely sunshine. Murphy and I have been on the veranda several days this week.  She really enjoys it out there with me. 
Somebody asked and yes, I am using the big hoop for this particular hand quilting. I've finally gotten the hang of using it. And no, I haven't been able to do any rocking with this...it is a stab through and up for each and every stitch but it's moving along nicely. I should say that I used old pillow cases found at the farm house for some of the white triangles and I don't know about the thread count and such but it is tough stuff and resistant to the needle. Why they held up so long, I guess.
On the wall is this piece still- the scrappy triangles.
 I tried the blocks in a number of different ways including making a rainbow kind of design but it left me feeling eh. I tried four different colours meeting in the middle, but that didn't wow me either. When I tried the four triangles of the same colour meeting it gave it a little more oomph. 
The whole of it still has an overall minimalist vibe but seems to look more interesting to have the different patterns abutting each other.  I'm gradually joining more blocks so will show you more together next time. And of course, there will be another decision as to how these then get assembled. 
It's fun to remember the projects the fabrics were used in. 

Hope you have had a great week and the weekend will be even better. As always linking with these wonderful folks:Not Afraid of Color, A Stitch in TimeBrian's Home BlogViewing Nature With EileenPowered By QuiltingSo Scrappy, The Madd QuilterKathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Floral Passions..
 




27 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that fox is tall and skinny looking isn't it - long legs for sure. Love your flower bouquet and the quilts - I've known a couple people that just do stab stitching and they do fine - I have never done it much myself other than in areas of very thick seams but I believe the late quilter Sue Garman did her hand quilting that way

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love that quilt and that fox is a good looking critter. Howdy Murphy!

Deb A said...

Your flower star quilt is so pretty... I might have gone and printed off the pattern the last time you shared it! Glad you are getting to enjoy a little more veranda sitting in the warm weather.

PaintedThread said...

I love the photos of the fox! He's got the lean look of a youngster.

Jenny said...

That really is a tall skinny fox, do you think he may have a bit of dog blood in him? Not that I would really know, there are no foxes down here in New Zealand. Nice to see your scrappy triangle blocks out again

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The photos of the fox are awesome. I have been doing some back porch sitting too, to eat lunch when I get home from work, maybe dip my toesies in the pool, while the cats and the dog frolick in the yard. I am pleased, because I was a wee bit put out when I had to turn my heat on because my house was only 62 inside. Love your stitching it is lovely.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we're sure glad you hopped in!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

That fox looks awfully thin. I love the scrappy triangle block quilt. I'm sure there are so many different settings you can try. I used to hand quilt a lot before I got the longarm. I enjoyed it but it took me forever. I love the look of hand quilting.

Nana said...

The fox looks like he feel hunger - poor guy... is it a girl?

Nana

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the layout of the triangle flag quilt! I love seeing little glimpses of your world like having Murphy at your feet when you are sewing outside :) Have a wonderful week Jocelyn!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The book sounds interesting. I love your quilts, they all look beautiful to me. The bouquet looks pretty, I like having flowers on my dining room table. The fox looks young, really skinny. I hope it finds food. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend. PS, thank you for the comment!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your photos of the fox in all his positions, Jocelyn! And your decision to put the red corners together with your flag blocks will make a fun design. I've been admiring those blocks since you started making them!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the quilt in the hoop...what a treasure that will be! And the fox is neat to see. I've only seen one in NC and they are unique animals. Makes me think of Narnia! Hugs!

Yvonne said...

Looks like a hungry fox, hope he or she is okay. Beautiful animals. My father was very lonely after my mom passed away, he went to the dunes here at our hometown every day were he encountered a fox he have been feeding every day for 9 year's. She came when he called here and ate dog food. Maybe not the way it is supposed to go in the wild but it gave my dad so much pleasure and a goal in life.
Beautiful hand quilting!

riitta k said...

Hi Jocelyn,

I read a lot but never read anything of Eckhart Tolle. Yet many of his books have been translated into Finnish, maybe I'll try some day. Foxes are usually skinny and their fur is not always googd looking. One summer morning a fox was sitting on my grden table! I admire your patience wuith quilting! Wishing a pleasant Sunday.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm loving those scrappy triangles. Especially the RED ones for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the little fox, and Murphy, your sewing companion. The scrappy triangles are really coming along, as is your lovely hand quilting. Hope you get good weather for a while yet!

Denise :) said...

The piece you're quilting in the hoop looks pretty! I need to put one of my flimsies basted together so I can put it in a hoop and work on it as the weather cools and the sun sets earlier! Your fox is sweet ... he does look like a yearling. I love the liberties he takes; he feels quite at home! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, happy birthday to you! You are right, it does take some concentration.
I love the fox.
It was such a nice week, all told. I enjoyed it.
Good work on the quilting.

Quilter Kathy said...

The hand quilting is looking marvellous... loved seeing it in the hoop!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

He is a skinny fox but than most wild animals seem to be more fit than some of us. Yes the weave of the fabric really makes difference but your stitches really look great and as long as you enjoy it everything else doesn't matter

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your star quilt. I am going to make that one some day. Loved seeing your skinny fox. Thanks for the reviews of the book, beauty products!

CathieJ said...

I love the fox photos. I like your quilting hoop. I find that I can rock if I loosen the tautness a little bit. Murphy looks perfectly content next to you. Love the flowers and the quilt blocks.

grammajudyb said...

You have a great selection of neutrals. My stash is lacking in that department! I too like all the same color triangles “ meeting in the middle”

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!! Your fox is interesting - I've never seen one so tall - but maybe he's a "teenager" and has some "filling out" to do in the next few months. Love your quilt and bouquet - Murphy looks happy to keep you company - ;))

Arun Goyal said...

Lovely Flowers..It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/09/garden-affair-flowering-aquatic-plants.html

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You were in the right place at the right time to get fox pictures. I have yet to read a Tolle book but it's on my list.