Tuesday 8 September 2020

Tuesday To Do, Fitness Dreams, Free Halloween Patterns, Giant Among Hostas

It was a long weekend here in Ontario with a lot of folks heading to cottages or campgrounds. This week I talked to Mom about the few times we went camping as a family.  We didn't do much of that because, as Dad put it, Sally can't keep the floor of the tent as clean as she'd like it. Yes, my mother lived by the law that cleanliness is next to Godliness and part of that was having a floor so clean the neighbours would say "you could eat off it". 

We both enjoy this reminiscing and having a laugh about the past and it's good that Mom can remember so many of the details of those days. I'm happy and feel blessed to have talking to Mom a part of every week. 

I'm pleased with myself that I kept up my little daily fitness routine this week. I've always had a longing to be as fit as I can be-in my dreams at least.  At every decade of my life it was there with me reminding me about my diet or exercise. Even at my age, I have that same desire to feel good in my body and especially now to be able to face down whatever aging challenges me with.  None of us know the health issues we may have ahead of us but I think at least I can try to face it being as healthy as I can muster. That's what I'm aiming for this year.

 I've always done a few stretches but have added several of the exercises I used to do during my aerobics years; I've also added planking which I'm not good at. However, I already notice a difference in how agile I seem. Now that is impossible and wishful thinking since I've only been doing the extra for a couple weeks. I also feel an uptick in my general sense of well being.  It's all in my head!

Now if only I could learn to not bring potato chips into the house! Maybe that should be a goal for this week. LOL

I achieved my goal to add to the Easy Hexagon Star project. I've sewn four more rows and the bright colours of the fabrics are enjoyable. 

Each hexagon I cut I remind myself to not be afraid of colour, right LeeAnna? Adding a few more rows to this will be on my to do list this week for sure.

Solidarity blocks 
This is  Karen Styles' block. You can see more of her work here at her Somerset Patchwork site. Karen's interest is in antique quilts and the re-creation of them with modern looks.

I have the famous Susan Smith's block prepped and ready to applique which I hope to finish this week.

I'm in the midst of doing some scrappy clean out and sorting. In the course of doing that, I found an autumn type top that I must have found in a thrift shop probably a decade ago before I bought a sewing machine.  Completely forgotten about -clearly I don't have Mom's memory !! I'm wondering what to do with it. It does have some pretty prints in it which, no doubt, was what attracted my attention.


Oh, here is a neat link to 19 Free Patterns For Halloween Table Runners offered by the  Sewing Support
folks. This one caught my eye. Definitely my skill level. All about the fabrics for this one.

a12[1]

I'll leave you today with a photo of one of the giant hostas on our property; it is at least 6 feet in diameter and is a beautiful shade of green. The morning sun illuminates it.  

It's lines are deep like quilting lines.

Hope your week is off to a great start!

So happy to link this post with Home Sewn By UsThe Needle and Thread Network and Quilt Fabrication.

19 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a huge tall hosta! I too keep telling myself to exercise - I wish I could do more arm exercise but every time I do too much of them then my neck/shoulders have issues so I have to keep doing a little for my arms and not over do! it is hard to reach that in between point. I'm glad you still have you mother to chat with - I miss that. Cute table runner for Halloween!

Denise :) said...

I love the prints you've used on the hexie star piece!! Very fun! Your hosta is absolutely splendid!! Thanks for sharing the list of Halloween runners ... I really like the runner you're considering! :)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your Hexagon Stars are very pretty! Hey, I had a dream about fitness once, thank goodness I woke up!

Libby in TN said...

Maybe if I had a giant hosta like yours, the deer would leave some of it for me!

Nancy J said...

Your hosta leaf would be great printed onto fabric and then stitched along the lines, I have seen this done, and it is stunning. What a huge plant, my friend in Ontario has deer come in and eat her hosta plants.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a hosta quite that big! I keep thinking I need to work on my fitness level too and keep thinking that I need to just get outside and walk along the river. Every day I plan to do just that something happens and I don't get it done. We used to mall walk before the virus hit but then they closed the mall and nobody could walk. I guess it's open again now but we don't exactly feel safe going there, especially when we try to walk with masks on. I have a hard enough time breathing in them as it is without adding anything strenuous to the process. At least I can still do my stretches every morning even though they are boring!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love that you talk to your mom regularly about her memories! I've been doing the same several times a week, and feel so thankful that she's been able to be safe and healthy through these crazy months. The hexagon stars are lovely, and I love the red and white pieced star, too! That's quite a hosta, and beautiful in the sun!

PaintedThread said...

LOL - my sister and I always worry about the cleanliness of our floors when Mom visits, because her floors were always clean enough to eat off of. I love your new title photo. :-)

Louise said...

I love that hexagon design pattern and need to make another one myself. Your fabric choices are wonderful! So many lovely and fun prints :)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Wow, that is one big hosta. I was just saying that we need to split ours this Fall. Several of our planting beds need some thinning out. I am enjoying seeing your work on the hexagons. That looks like a fun project. I am certain that you are seeing results from your added exercise. It seems like a body responds well to any additional strength or stretching routines as long as you continue them. Good for you! Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

MissPat said...

I salute you for making a real effort at improving your fitness level. I'm still at the stage of thinking about it, knowing it is necessary, but being greatly unmotivated. Temperature-wise, this is the season to do some serious walking, with the heat mostly done and the cold not yet arrived. We'll see. Is the hosta one called 'Sum and Substance'? I planted one years ago, but the deer and voles did it in.
Pat

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness- I’ve never seen such a large hosta. Absolutely beautiful. Those lines look like quilting.
I like your new header. Your hexagons remind me of a Marie Horner quilt with a cool mix of colors.
I am still doing yoga stretches in the mornings but hope to walk outside again in October when it cools off. You are going the right direction.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The size of that hosta almost defies belief! We have a couple in the back yard that are pretty big, but nothing compared with this monster.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Good for you on the exercise program - my days are just not the same without my 1.5 mile walk - I do it in 30 minutes! Hopefully the 100's are gone and I will not get so hot!
Your hexagons are pretty - keep on keeping on! Karen's block is really pretty - I love reds!
The fabric you found is beautiful - one of my favorite colors!
I have never seen a giant hostas - so unique and beautiful!
Well, I have now spent too much time on the computer - have a great day and keep up the good work!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn you are inspiring me to think about my fitness! Between 3 surgeries and Covid my clothes have shrunk. Love your hexies. So bright and cheerful! Enjoy your time with your Mom 😄 Carol

andy's colours said...

Wow, what a magnificent hosta! Mine is only about 2 feed in diameter. I really love the large leaves and deep lines. We do have a tree called Catalpa, originally from South America, that has very large leaves of up to 1 ft (and gorgeously scented blossoms). The leaves are softer, though, and discintigrate when trying to dry them. Congrats on your agility, too. My - planks! And it is not only in the mind if you feel better after a fortnight - the body reacts in a very thankful way and each little bit helps! Keep up the good work.
Andrea

dq said...

There are so many happy photos going on here! I particularly love the giant Hosta! I would have never guessed it was so big if you had not posted its size!

Your Easy Hexagon Star quilt is to die for! I just love the fabrics and pattern!

I too enjoy exercising, but don't always make it a high priority on my list.

grammajudyb said...

I enjoyed your post today! I wish I could maintain a fitness routine, the aches and pains make it difficult! I commented on your hosts while sitting in the living room, had to show hubby! He said, they must live in British Columbia! I remarked, I didn’t know! When he was younger his family vacationed in the Pacific Northwest and the foliage impressed him,

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I never camped, but do admit to spending a weekend sleeping in a tent at a lake property because there were too many of us to fit in the cottage. Nope, never again. Give me a hotel with a great bed and bathroom. Or a motor home/ RV. I can do that pretty good, lol. Lays Honey BBQ chips are just my down fall. I really shouldn't buy them. I had just been gifted a huge Hosta like that before we moved. I left all my plants behind because they would never have survived the trip even if I had room to transport them. So, I gave up gardening all together. Maybe next year I'll plant sunflowers...pretty sure I will. The hexies are looking great.
xx, Carol