Tuesday 25 July 2023

Embellishing Corner Stones, A First Capture, Delicious Simple Food

Though I hear these frogs every spring- you can't not hear them as their sounds have been likened to  chain saw or motorcycle loudness levels- I had never ever seen one, let alone gotten a photo till this summer. One day I took a photo of a strange looking, very tiny frog/toad sitting on a hosta leaf in the back yard.  I found out I'd captured the somewhat reclusive Spring Peeper frog when I looked it up later on. Finally and Another first for me. I like those ET like toes and the way his markings all line up.

These are of the Crucifix species named so because of the cross on the back. 

Here is what was bouncing around in my head this morning...and me achieving none of it to date. 

 Look up an aloe based face serum...I have a belief in the natural stuff. Any suggestions?

Cut 18 inch blocks for the largest of the Laundry Basket Quilts Monarch project butterflies. I need 9 of them and my largest template is a 12 inch and I hate fiddling with my new rotary cutter and trying to cut these large pieces...put off for almost two weeks now as a result. Get that done this week - maybe.

Get in more obedience training with Ned. We have an enthusiastic trainer coming once a week to train us and Ned. He has the basics down pat which is good. However, we specifically need just one thing...for him to come when called no matter if he is on the scent of something or not. I'm not sure that is achievable but she thinks so. 

Last Look

Finally, all done and dusted is my Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt, my July OMG at Elm Street Quilts. This was so enjoyable, a learning experience in some ways and all done on time thanks to it being a QAL.  Link Here to the pattern in Sandra's Etsy shop. The hand quilting was enjoyable and I added many more lines than I first thought. 

The back...It will be a cosy lap quilt for someone.
                                        

Just for fun, I embroidered blanket stitches around each corner stone. And you can see the sashing fabric really does show up in real life which I was never able to show in photos for some reason unbeknownst to me!


Something I am achieving...

Every year I forget what great exercise swimming is. The whole body gets a workout while being supported. Since exercise also is a mood booster for me, it is definitely a win win. I am enjoying my daily swim more than ever this summer and pushing myself to work a little harder while in the pool. 

For my lunch today was this below...I am still practicing Intermittent Fasting which works well for me as I'm not a breakfast eater. Having porridge for lunch is a usual choice for me. This time with fresh apricots from younger daughter and home made honey a friend makes from older daughter. 

On that delicious note, I'll end this post. Hope there is something delicious in your life today!

Happy to link up with The Quilt SchmiltQuilt FabricationFrom Bolt to BeautyMy Quilt InfatuationQuilting Patchwork AppliqueWendy's Quilts and More, Quilting is More Fun Than Housework and The Inquiring Quilter


22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

interesting looking frog! good luck with the obedience training for Ned.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't think I've ever seen a spring peeper - good for you for capturing a great photo!
I wouldn't dare try any sort of substance on my face that has aloe in it, despite it being natural. I've come to the conclusion that I might be sensitive to it after spending a long time after covid hit struggling with breakouts on my hands. It wasn't until we visited our family out west and they were using hand sanitizer that had glycerin instead of aloe that I realized. Most hand sanitizers have alcohol and aloe and it took quite a search to find one available here that didn't have aloe. All that long-winded explanation to suggest you try googling a company called 'Attitude' - they might have what you're looking for. That's where I get my hand san. now.
Your quilt turned out beautifully!

Susie H said...

Great picture of your peeper! Enjoy that porridge. I don't think I could eat that -- I don't enjoy the texture of oatmeal and that looks similar. Nice job on your Rainbow Neighborhood. I like that extra love you put in on the cornerstones!

Jeanna said...

That is one very different looking frog. I've never heard of the Spring Peeper Frog. Your Rainboe Neighbourhood quilt finished nicely. I love that you added some embroidery to it. Your porridge looks delish!

MissPat said...

What an interesting frog. Lucky you for being able to catch a photo of him. Congrats on finishing your house quilt. Even though the sashing doesn't show in your photos, it does make it more interesting in reall life.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

I like the extra stitches on your cornerstones. Very creative! I had to look up porridge! I’m a bit uninformed! It’s like what we call oatmeal in the US? Sounds yummy with apricots and honey! I love apricots, but have a hard time finding good ones! Glad you are getting in some swimming! I this a workout “

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a great frog photo, Jocelyn! You are so good at catching all the neat wildlife in your area. I love how your Rainbow Neighbourhood turned out - so pretty and fun to look at. The decorative stitches are a lovely addition. You have me excited to get mine finished! Enjoy your swimming - sounds delightful this time of year!

Jenny said...

What a cute little frog. We have an elusive frog here called Archie's Frog, which doesn't make a sound and has no ears! Unsurprisingly, I've never seen one, but it was featured on a TV show recently when a biologist when hunting for endangered New Zealand birds and animals.

Jenn Jilks said...

I haven't seen any adult spring peepers yet. Lots of tree frogs, wood frogs, and leopard frogs!

Libby in TN said...

I've never heard of the Spring Peeper. But we have tree frogs that look very similar (also very vocal) and their feet are like suction cups so they sometimes creep up glass doors!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh my, our frog noise is something at night too, that sure belt it out! Love those blocks, very pretty!

Jackie said...

What an interesting frog.

Love the embroidered blanket stitch on the cornerstones.

God bless.

Linda said...

What an interesting frog! Although I'm sure "interesting" isn't the word you think of when it's croaking. ;) Your Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt is beautiful! Love the blanket stitching, it really adds beauty to the finish. I love breakfast food, but I don't feel good when I eat breakfast, so I rarely have it. I honestly feel best when I only have fresh juice until after noon, but I'm too lazy (and cheap) to buy and squeeze fresh fruit. Good luck with Ned. Even if he doesn't come as soon as you call him, he's 100X better than our mutts! :D

Carol said...

I enjoyed seeing that tiny frog as we hear lots of peepers in our pond in the Spring, but I've never seen one. Now we have a lone bullfrog which we hear at night. Your quilt is looking so pretty--love the colors you used in the houses. I am also an intermittent faster--have no interest at all in eating until noon or so. And like you, I'll have oatmeal or Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts :) Hope you enjoy this last wee of July, Jocelyn!

Carolyn said...

Your rainbow neighborhood is lovely. I like the idea of embellishing around the cornerstones--I've never thought of doing that. Good luck with the dog training. I am a big proponent of training, and I am pretty sure he can be taught to come back when called. He may test you, though.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Photographing whites is so tricky. Love the quilt!
We have a nice long pool that is great for doing laps...right until a few years ago I was having so much fun I overdid it. My shoulders have been a mess since. I sure miss that overall workout! The porridge looks so yummy, esp with my favorite fruit!

Robin said...

Your bouquet is beautiful. I love the photo of the butterfly on the hydrangea. Such nice contrast. Your choice of embroidery floss is dynamic and looks great in the pieces you have finished.

PaintedThread said...

Swimming is good stuff! It's been too long since I've gone. Enjoy the water!

piecefulwendy said...

Keep up the work with Neddy, I think your trainer is right. Our daughter's lab (just over a year) is finally grasping her command to heel when another dog is passing by. It has taken quite awhile, but he's finally getting it. I think Neddy will do the same with his. That porridge looks good!

Anne-Marie said...

Nice photo. Congrats on your finish.

Karen's Korner said...

You "built" a lovely neighbourhood there. That "brunch" looks delicious.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute little frog! Here in the South of France we have another very noisy little guy, the cicada ;)) Your Rainbow quilt is beautiful, I love the appliquéd corner stones!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!