Thursday 6 July 2023

Time Wasters, Geraniums, Fair Food, Solidarity Blocks

Philip Jacobs, a designer for Free Spirit, puts such detail into his flower renderings. Here is his "Geranium" fabric beautifully defying the old adage that blue and green should never be seen except together in the washing machine. 
And here are my winter geraniums enjoying the sun on the back deck. 
Coming into a second blooming. I pinched them back so they would bush out and not grow up and leggy.
I'm reading Emma Donahue's Haven. So far about a quarter in, I am enjoying it. Three Irish monks trying to survive on an isolated island during a time of plague is the premise in a nutshell.
Things I waste time on... 
is this Wednesday or Thursday? (substitute any days)

                                                  did I buy -? If I did, where did I put it?

                                                      did I put on sunscreen?

and there are always the endless where ares???? the remote, my reading glasses, the pen, the camera, my phone, etc. (In reverse to this I'm obsessive about my purse and keys and always know exactly where they are.) What are your time wasters? 

 I continue the hand quilting on my Rainbow Neighbourhood which is my job in front of the tv at night. I'm on my way to that being finished this weekend and ready for the binding.

 And when I saw the So Scrappy RSC July colour is red, it reminded me of a QAL called Solidarity run by Quiltmania back during the pandemic. The blocks were sewn with red and white fabrics. I stitched some of the blocks, maybe 12 of them. I searched about in my orphan block drawer which I made during the last big sewing room sort out, found them and began arranging the layout. Here are the first four largest blocks. Applique was a big feature of the QAL.

 My old computer completely died and I've been without for five days so apologies for not visiting you and also the crooked photo below...this new laptop  just arrived and I still have to figure out the photo features. These blocks cheered me up today as they looked so bright in the sunlight. Our temp. made it to 35C with humidity feeling like 42C so it was a quick photo shoot.

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week has to do with favourite fair food. They often combine rib fests with fairs here and having a meal of barbequed ribs from the rib chef stars is very popular. Robbie loves the candy candy at the fairs. What about you? Candied apples? Flavoured popcorn maybe? The hot dogs?
It is strawberry season and fresh strawberries are the cheapest they will be all year. We are enjoying a bowl each night.
We celebrated Canada Day on Saturday. Sadly, many outdoor activities had to be cancelled here in our corner of Ontario because of the tornado/severe thunder and lightening storm warnings. Another first for weather news. Though a miserable cloudy day with high humidity and many mosquitoes, no tornado materialized, thankfully.  However, a close neighbour of daughter's had lightening strike one of their front yard trees and destroy it. Scary!

 Hubby has to wear multiple layers even in this heat which seems remarkable to me. I tried to use the quote  "times of life when youth and blood are warmer"- badly. Not remembering whose line that is. Do you?

I heard from many that you liked the embroidery in the last post. Thank you for the kind words and it is especially good to know slow stitching/handwork is still so appreciated. 

 I've got  my work cut out for me now learning how to sort everything on this new laptop. It is an updated version of my last two so it shouldn't be that much of a challenge....says she hopefully.

You all have a great weekend and stay as safe as you can!

Also great to share this post with Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkKathy's Quilts and Quilting Patchwork Applique.




25 comments :

Nancy J said...

New laptop, what did you get? Mine has a hissy fit and all letters were in capitals, I couldn't even log in, so had to Google on my phone, thank goodness for a second digital helper!!!Strawberries, so yummy. Keep cool, or warm, whichever is best for either of you.

Jenny said...

Its always a bit tricky when you get a new computer. I'm surprised mine has lasted so long, it is Robin's reject when he got a new one. I think we both could do with new laptops, although we both now have a tablet each, I like to write the blog on the big computer.
Your discovered red blocks are so pretty.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Learning a new computer can be a challenge - we know you're up to it! I love that geranium fabric - it looks just like your pretty plant. The red and white blocks are lovely, too. Do you have a plan for them? I'm so impressed that you're hand quilting the Neighbourhood! I'm working on machine quilting mine - can only do a little at a time because it is a beast!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I think the greens and blues look good together and those blocks sure are pretty. Fresh strawberries are just the best, yum!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my biggest time waster is scrolling through my phone constantly checking mail and news - why the news I don't know I am never happy with it - I would be happier I think to not listen to the news.
Glad you didn't get tornado's scary stuff we go through that too much. Good luck with the computer - I'm so glad my husband takes care of all of that as I haven't a clue
Love your germanium and the fabric.

Anonymous said...

Strawberries are a favourite at our house too. I’m always looking for something… my phone, keys etc. Lovely red and white blocks! I need to get cracking on my RSC projects.

Anonymous said...

Just a thought - Has your husband had his thyroid checked? Being cold all the time is a symptom of hypothyroidism, as is low energy. Not trying to be pushy, just saw a relative experience this…once diagnosed & on meds saw a complete turnaround.

Deb A said...

Those are pretty red blocks. My time waster is my phone games and then when I go into a room to start something, I tend to find another thing to do.... and on and on. Fair food - I do like a funnel cake or fried dough as it is called up north. My once a year thing if I find a fair to go to! Those are high temps for you! Glad the storms didn't cause any harm to your property. Lightning strikes close to the house are very scary. Hope you have a good rest of the week.

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Maybe quote is from Robert Hettick, Gather ye Rosebuds...(www.goodreads.com)...I thought it might have been W. Shakespeare.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

New computers are scary things - exciting, but intimidating to figure out. I'm currently messing with my desktop trying to find how/why the little icon that shows me the current weather (and warnings) has disappeared to. I suspect Windows did an update and it's now residing in the ozone layer somewhere. I want it back (sez she, shaking her fist at the sky!).
I honestly can't remember much in the way of fair food - when we went we always took a picnic lunch although I do remember sometimes getting some of those tiny little donuts that were covered in icing sugar.

Kathleen said...

New computers are always a time suck...sorry you are in that. Love those blocks from 2020 - they are gorgeous. Had to laugh as my husband (a bit older than me) is now often cold when I am not. That quote seems to be from To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time
By Robert Herrick. Not a poem I knew, but of course, I love the challenge of looking something up. We are clearer and more humid here in Maine...not having needed summer clothes until these past few days. It has been a weird early summer/spring for us - cold, dreary and foggy most of the time.

grammajudyb said...

Oh boy, do I like that green and blue fabric. Wish I had planted some geraniums. We had such a cold rainy spring and early summer, that I just couldn’t get excited about down in the dirt. I also am cold all the time. Our daughter suggested I have my thyroid level’s checked. She is an RN. Mine was fine, so still don’t know why I’m cold. Mr Busy had his checked, low energy’ He now takes medication and is much better!
Can’t wait to see your Rainbow Neighbourhood. Mine is at the long arm quilter’s.

I am forever misplaying my phone! And I’ve lost a small pair of scissors on a red yarn lanyard. You would think they would be visible!
It’s so frustrating!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I'm so glad you got a new laptop. I always look forward to your posts! I love the red and white blocks. Quiltmania has such nice patterns. It sounds like it's been hot for you too. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

gladiquilts said...

“Haven” has been on my “to read” list for a while so I’m glad to hear you’re liking it. My biggest time waster is the computer!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Joanne is right. Robert Herrick I think the title is "to the virgins, to make much of your time." I love your red applique blocks! They are wonderful and so cheerful during these balmy days! I just love fresh strawberries and your temps and weather sound so similar to ours! Love the geranium print and plant! Have a great weekend!

Miaismine said...

Beautiful fabric! So cheerful! I love that geraniums are so easy to grow! Haven sounds intriguing! I’ve put it on my ever-growing TBR. Thank you for sharing!
Your blocks are so lovely! Yikes! Your temps are terribly high! Does the heat sap your energy? Or am I the only one?
Your strawberries look fresh and delicious!
Yes! I love to slow stitch and enjoy handwork! We are kindred souls. Good luck with your computer!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your red, white and pink color combo took me back to my freshman year in college. The students in the room catty-corner to me did their whole room in that color scheme - bedspreads, pillows and curtains. The rest of us on the floor tended towards random. Your lovely blocks would have fit right in.

Rebecca Grace said...

Those red blocks are beautiful, crooked picture and all. Good luck learning the new laptop! That's so annoying, when you're used to one computer and it dies on you and then you have to learn how to do simple things all over again with a new one. Also fabric shopping is much more satisfying than computer shopping!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh YES we are all about the hand embroidery! Hope the learning curve with your new computer is not too steep!
I love Emma Donoghue - I met her at a lecture and book signing once and she was captivating. Let us know if this book is worth the read. You can bet she did a ton of research to write this one.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It was a good idea to search for these appliquéd blocks, they look very pretty. Your geranium is looking good too ;) Good luck getting used to the new computer.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your Solidarity blocks! Good luck on learning the new laptop. I keep thinking about a new one. I have John's old gaming computer, which is getting old and can't be updated anymore. I work outside till it gets too hot outside, around lunchtime. Wish I could find some begonia fabric, I need to make something for our upcoming show. I love that geranium fabric.

Kim said...

Oh, I think blue and green should always be seen. They dance together wonderfully. =) That is such a pretty fabric and your geraniums are blooming beautifully. I love geraniums. They are such happy plants that bloom all year, down here. Those red and white applique blocks are so pretty.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Welcome back! Blue and green together makes me feel calm. I hadn't heard that about the washing machine. . .what a chuckle you gave me! I said to myself. . .someone was opinionated! I bet you learn some cool new features on that laptop that you wonder how you made it without them! Give yourself some time and space to play. It will all be good. I like your applique blocks/Quilt A Long photo that you shared. My biggest time waster is visiting blog posts and leaving comments. . .I so enjoy being inspired by other bloggers and living vicariously through their posts! As for fair food, when my daughters were young, we always started our fair day with a strawberry shortcake!

Chookyblue...... said...

It's terrifying when lightning hits close........ Biggest time wasters being online......... Not the blog part just the other stuff I get caught up in....... Nice blocks......

Chookyblue...... said...

Did I say I wished I had those strawberries?????? Yummo