Thursday 27 July 2023

Redwork Embroidery, Summer Bouquet, Swallowtail, Loving K.D.

Late Summer Indoor Bouquet at the Farm 
I don't usually make bouquets anymore as I leave it all for the bees and insects to enjoy. After a banner year for butterflies last year, not many to be seen this summer. Though I did catch this Black Swallowtail enjoying the hydrangea blooms. 
It is always time for tea here. We make a giant pot and I drink a mug while it is fresh and leave the rest for Hubby. He can drink it warmed up in the microwave which is something I don't care for. 

Love my slow stitching projects.
 This one has a connection to Mom. She had these blocks that someone drew the patterns on in pencil for her. The simple little designs, which have a Newfoundland and Labrador theme, were passed around in her circle of friends so I can't give credit to the artist. When she could no longer embroider and turned more to crocheting, she handed these on to me. I finally made a start...  
After stitching the map, I realized I don't like how Labrador is not whole here. 
I'm going to stitch all the wildlife pictures first. If anyone knows who the artist is, please let me know.
The Newfoundland Dog, known for its sweetness, devotion and gentleness. Also known for their love of and affinity to children. 
I thought of stitching all in browns or black or just reds but I love variegated threads so landed on DMC 115. This offers a range of red to deep burgundy. I just had the one skein on hand so put in an order to 123 Stitch.  I'm using back stitching and trying my best to keep the stitches small and even. 
Great hand work in front of the t.v. in the evenings.

And how true this is. I was thinking first how appropriate the words are for this aging part of my life but really it suits all phases of life. 

As many of you know besides working at trying to keep fit, I also work at maintaining my positive mind set. Laughter is good and so is music. Besides listening to music early morning, I've been making a point of listening to music just before I turn in for the night. Here is one I love so much. Adore K.D.'s voice and the piano accompaniment too is wonderful. 
After I finish my coffee, I have to change the water in the hummingbird feeder so my day is about to really start. Yes, the life of the retired!
Also happy to join the link party at Kathy's Quilts and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
 

21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your flowers are so pretty. and all that stitching too.

Susie H said...

I changed the water out of my hummingbird feeder this morning too! No sooner was it hung back out when a sweet female landed on it. Love the quote and I read it to the gang here. We all appreciated it. Have a peaceful day.

Jeanna said...

You have some nice bouquets in the window and what a gorgeous butterfly. I love the embroidery pieces as well. I used that variegated #115 on a Christmas piece once...I should find it and do something with it for the upcoming holiday.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful flowers, and I love the butterfly photo, Jocelyn! That embroidery project looks like it will be a pleasure to stitch. I love variegated flosses, too. That is a lovely qu9te from Anne Morrow Lindbergh, too.

Angela said...

Your bouquets are stunning. I love those blocks. So glad that you are getting them stitched. They are too pretty to not be finished.

Jenny said...

I think it is wonderful that you are working on embroideries that your Mother had started years ago. Love your pretty flowers in the vase.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your stitching! I lived in Newfoundland when I was 6.

Thanks for your comments on my quilts.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers are so pretty and that butterfly is amazing. Love those stictching critters.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your embroidery looks so nice! It must be a nice feeling to know your mother was going to make these blocks. Gorgeous picture of the Swallowtail on the hydrangea. I've been drinking more coffee than tea lately. I'm not sure why since it's been so hot. I should switch to iced tea.

Linda said...

Those are beautiful flowers Jocelyn. I sat transfixed by a butterfly on my few zinnias yesterday, braving the 98 degree heat. What a lovely bunch of embroidery pieces! I have that DMC #115 and love it. 123 Stitch is a company here in Texas, so shipping is pretty fast for me! I am in LOVE with your teapot!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, we’ve just been watching Fox and Friends, and on Fridays they have a summer concert series. We watch in amazement as the ‘singers’ jump and bounce and ‘sing’, but we cannot understand a word of the lyrics or detect a tune….but the audience, and they’re not all teens…..is bouncing and mouthing something. I’m of the Sinatra/Nat Cole/Tony Bennett/ Petty Como era, where the melodies were clear and the lyrics meant something. That’s true of this performance by K.D. Lang also. I think maybe country western still turns out new songs with words you can understand, but most other ‘music’ is just noise. I guess I’m too old to appreciate current day entertainment!!!!!!

Jackie said...

Such beautiful stitching. I have always loved that breed of dog.

Your bouquet is gorgeous.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Pretty flowers! Nice butterfly, too. The hummingbirds around here keep us smiling. :-)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Beautiful flowers we have a lot of swallowtail butterflies, and other small ones that flit around. I miss the monarchs though. What fun patterns. I agree it is important to be positive, as to being healthy, since the knee mess I am slowly getting back to walking more. It is a struggle to get 5000 steps in a day though, but a wee bit at a time.

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a happy post! Love your bouquet! I adore the redwork you are doing. So meaningful and wonderful! Our butterflies just showed up here the last week or two so yours might be coming soon too! Wishing you a wonderful weekend and as always, thanks for the inspiration and pick me up!

piecefulwendy said...

Such a pretty bouquet to brighten your window view! Those stitcheries are so pretty; you do lovely work! At any age, it's important to keep moving and doing and learning, all of which help keep us positive! You have a great attitude!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's great that you're finishing the stitcheries started by your Mother. Sometimes the simple embroideries are the most effective.
And thank you for the KD Lang version of that song. It's my favourite song of all time and I hadn't heard her version.

Quilter Kathy said...

I adore your original stitching designs! And that variegated red thread is so pretty - perfect for these designs! It's strange how Labrador is often an incomplete afterthought for a Newfoundland map.

Deb said...

Your Redwork stitcheries are beautiful, I love your choice of the variegated floss. The flowers are so pretty. Happy Stitching

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quote! Love the bouquet. Great embroidery project for World Embroidery Day! Hope you have a great week!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful embroidery, and excellent and wonderful Lange's performance! Thank you so much for that Jocelyn! Hugs. this is one of my favorites! Relaxing to hear it sung so perfect and love the piano accompanist