Tuesday 11 July 2023

Solidarity Flimsie #1, A Special Book, Everything's A' Bloomin'

Everything is blooming!
Including a Clematis Sapphire bush in a shady spot.
I'm trying to "tend the garden" these days. Short spurts of weeding here and there; it has to be short as the heat has been killing. We are just not acclimatized to this kind of humidity either. But the flowers love it. The soil in the beds is very rich which means the weeds love it as well.

 I've thought of my Dad's mother, my grandmother, who had not only a flower garden but a vegetable garden to tend each summer. In that outport it was mostly women's work to plant and tend the vegetable garden, though I remember Granda giving her a hand at times. They grew enough potatoes, turnip, carrot, cabbage, beets, and onions to last all winter stored in their root cellar. By the time I arrived for my visit at the end of June, the last of the potatoes would taste sweet from being there so long. 

One of Dad's cousins who grew up with him, wrote this book, More Than Fifty Per Cent: Women's Life in Outport Newfoundland, for her Folklore master's thesis.  It chronicles women's work in that little outport...in summary, women's work is never done. You've heard the old rhyme, men may toil from sun to sun but women's work is never done and of course, this would certainly apply to farmer's wives as well.  My grandparents are cited in the book.  Available at  Amazon -not affiliated.

I have enjoyed working with these cheery blocks again. I have good memories of stitching so many appliqued different and unique blocks. I looked up how others have put their Solidarity quilt together. The blocks are different sizes and it can be tricky to sort out an arrangement when that happens. I stitched 15 blocks so have divided them into two projects. Here is the first one ready to be layered and quilted. I'll use that same pretty green in the binding. I love the fir tree shadows in this photo.
The backlit view like stained glass is always pretty too. Will enjoy linking with the party for reds at So Scrappy
I would like to have this bound and layered this week. Especially doable as Rainbow Neighbourhood is almost finished! Amazing what you can accomplish when you actually spend time in the sewing room doing it. :D

Thanks Joanne and Michelle for confirming that line of poetry for me. Yes it is from Robert Herrick's poem that features the more famous line Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. I had to smile because young "maids" in fishing communities and on farms had little time to gather rosebuds. And I must say I very much enjoyed reading what your "time wasters" are so thanks for sharing.

I need to show you my hair these days. It is a little naturally curly and the humidity makes it frizzy and a bit wild. I'm still growing it out from the Pixie cut I gave myself and it is the longest it's been in ten years! I'm letting it sit on my head like a wild bird nest! 

Hope your week is off to a great start!

Happily linking with The Inquiring QuilterSongbird DesignsQuilt SchmiltMy Quilt InfatuationSew and TellFinished FridayAlycia QuiltsKathy's Quilts and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

 




24 comments :

Jenn Jilks said...

What fun to have a book on family history.
My hair is totally unaffected by anything, except a haircut. Straight as a board!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Women's work, even now, is mostly more than 50%, unless you're lucky enough to marry someone who has no idea of the 'correctedness' (and yes I know that's not a word!) of gender work. I was lucky to get one of those and he's quite happy to do the cooking and help with the cleaning.
Those are cheery blocks for sure - I'm not normally a fan of too much pink but it sure works here!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my hair is growing out a little right now too but just because I've been too busy to fit in a hair cut - I will do that soon - maybe next week now that the tomatoes are slowing down. We always had a garden growing up too and it was mainly up to mom and all the older kids (me to) to take care of it - we lived in the country on 14 acres of land but it wasn't a working farm, dad worked in town - I don't know how many acres was devoted to gardens but we had a root vegetable garden and then another very long garden that had the beans, peas, corn etc - and there was another patch totally devoted to cucumbers - that was where the kids (and mom) earned spending money - we had a pickle factory in the area that bought cucumbers from the locals - each of us older kids had a long row of cucumbers that was ours and we picked and filled burlap sacks and got the money from what we picked. I don't know how pickle factory's do it now but this was back in the mid 1960's.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your Solidarity Quilt! The blocks are just great! I always like the combination of piecing with applique. I don't do much outside. My husband has a green thumb and loves being out there. It works out well for me! My hair is awful in the humidity. My flatiron works overtime this time of year! I feel it gets better as it gets longer. The weight helps keeping it from flying around.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So interesting to hear about life in Newfoundland early in the 20th century - so different from what I have experienced. I love your red and white blocks and fun to see how you're putting them together! My hair has been crazy this summer - it's very curly on a good day, but with the added humidity here of our wet Spring and early summer it is terribly frizzy. I decided I just have to go with it!

Jenny said...

What lovely blooming bushes you have! Great that you have enough blocks to make two quilt tops, that will keep you busy working on each one.

Anonymous said...

We just got back from Nfld. That book sounds interesting! I just read one by Kevin Major. Great quilt top. I like how you put the blocks together. Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your flowers are really beautiful and those blocks are so darn pretty!

Nancy J said...

I grew up on a dairy farm, and the vegetable garden was huge. It had a large gate so my Dad could get the tractor and tow behind hoe to dig it all up.Potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, peas, He also grew peas for the then " Watties" pea factory, we pulled the whole plant out of the ground and loaded the trailer, drove some miles to a small "pea factory" along the tarseal main road in Karaka, South Auckland.Then the orchard, every fruit imaginable, and I cannot remember my Mum every buying fruit or veges.Where you grew up, the winters would be SO much different to mine, and having a cellar to store them was the answer, I guess, for everyone.Haircuts, I go to a local man, and have cut Hugh's for some 57 years, with the same clippers.

Libby in TN said...

You did a great job assembling odd-size blocks into a cohesive whole! I remember my grandmother's garden and the delicious carrots we would pull up for her. I'm letting my hair go, too.

Deb A said...

What pretty flowers! Yes, a womans work is never done. Wishing you a good rest of the week. I'd love to see a photo of you =). My favorite photo of my daughter when she was little was with wild and crazy hair.

Linda said...

Oh Jocelyn I can't wait to see your hair! I've let mine grow since we moved here almost 3 years ago. Last month I cut off almost 3 inches, and my hairdresser had to hold her face to keep from laughing when she saw how I had hacked the back of it. It is shoulder length and I mostly keep it in a pony tail. I am looking forward to seeing your wild bird's nest! Your clematis is breathtaking. That color in nature is not common, and it is my favorite. Your Solidarity quilt is beautiful. What an interesting title on the book, sounds fascinating, and true!

PaintedThread said...

The clematis is such a nice color. Ooh - pretty quilt! And I agree - amazing what you can do when you spend time in the sewing room (I've got backing pieced and sandwiched). Have fun quilting it.

Michele McLaughlin said...

You have a designer's eye. I'm not sure I could ever assemble that top and make it look so pretty! It's really a like a glass of pink lemonade on a hot and humid day (like now!). The humidity is awful but we are used to it down in PA. Your garden looks lovely! I love that hydrangea! Sending hugs!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

How fun to have an author in the family! I am so blessed to have a wonderful hubby who works from home and does most of the cooking. And the other of it, we share! He's a keeper! LOL Love your Solidarity Flimsie #1! Thanks for sharing it with us at Monday Musings! Oh, my hair...straight as a board and most of the time up in a pony tail as it is HOT and humid here too!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your Solidarity quilt! Such pretty fabrics, and that green is a perfect compliment. It looks pretty even from the back! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/12/wednesday-wait-loss-336

Gwyned Trefethen said...

HOw fortuitous that your cousin's master thesis include family. What a treasure. Just as your latest flimsy will be treasured.

Sara said...

The quilt is lovely, and really does give a stain glass feeling. I love the topic of the book, and what an interesting master's thesis idea.

CathieJ said...

I love your Solidarity Quilt. I am sure the assembly is like putting a puzzle together with all the size variety. I have lived in a humid climate all my life, but my hair is straight as anything all the time. I have worn it fairly short most of my life. I would struggle to live in a time when I had to raise most of my own vegetables as I really don't like gardening at all. I mostly unsuccessfully dabble in it each year with potted plants.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the quilt! I have been busy with my vegetable garden but this heat we are having, 110 today is making things wilt early, even though I get out first thing to water. I have had 5 or 6 zucchini, a cucumber, and I think the radishes are about ready to pick.

Quilter Kathy said...

You did a great job to corral various block sizes into a cohesive quilt top... that is a challenge indeed!
Did yo ever watch the movie (series?) called "Random Passage"? I really enjoyed that story of what life was like for a woman as a new immigrant in Newfoundland.

dq said...

My favorite block is the large flower. I hope you enjoyed deciding on a layout of different sized blocks. You made a great choice.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful bush. And yes, it does seem that women's work is never done.

Chookyblue...... said...

I would love to get back into my vegie garden.......
Your quilt top is lovely......