Friday 12 January 2024

2024 Plans, Chookshed Stitcher's Challenge, Minor Injury

Don't you hate it when you lose the power? Ours was out Wednesday for half the day and I moaned so much (in my head) I got annoyed with myself. We had a mini snowstorm that turned to rain and a bit of freezing rain in the middle of it all put out the power. We got out our gear -emergency lamps, radio, and now keep the generator inside the house from way down in the big barn because we lose the power every winter. (It is placed outside on the deck when in actual use). Everything is all ready for the next snowstorm...already announced for this weekend. All the usual wildlife trailed through to get a nibble of bird seed and suet. You can see the ice hanging from the veranda there.

Leeanna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is what you might want to learn, do, change, etc. for 2024. 

Here is my list...

 I've been getting back to reading more books (instead of using audio) which I want to continue.

 Snowshoeing is on my list to try...since I got those shiny new ones for Christmas...I've never done that before.

  I feel like my cooking/baking is in a bit of rut and could use a boost so try new recipes is on my list.

 I'm determined to keep up the latest organization in the sewing room. Further to that, I received these plastic packets and rings to organize my floss for each cross stitch project. This present one requires 22 colours and by the end of the stitching, this would wind up being quite the mess with my old non system. I'm going to further divide these by colour shades onto two rings.

I'm going to pick a project to sew from one of my quilting books. Like so many of you, I too have a lovely stack of them and while I do look through them fairly often, I seldom stitch from them. 

I'm also wanting to maintain tidiness in the cupboards and freezers. Should get a system for labeling items there too. I always think I'll remember. Speaking of which...here below is a mystery package. Thawing will reveal what it is. Doesn't look like meat. Please tell me I'm not the only one with frozen mysteries in the freezer. Or share how you organize to avoid the suspense. :D

Deana chose #6 to work on this month and I'm ever so pleased that my #6 is the EPP Lonestar Medallion red, white and blue project. using pretty Minick and Simpson fabrics.  It is so close to a finish and I like it so much. Here it is being quilted last spring which all had to be removed later but it's okay. 

Before I forget, several folks asked about the fabric Jour de Neige is being stitched on..the Lugana 28 count. It is an evenweave cloth which means the threads are mostly the exact same width unlike linen which has some fibres larger than others and also has tiny lumps called slubs. That can make the counting a little more challenging and the stitches may not lay quite as neatly. Aida, Evenweave and Linen fabrics all have their positives for stitching. 

 I'm having to coddle something. That made me think of the things I've coddled like babies and children, my pets, of course too. Not sure I could say coddle but definitely spoil my hubby. Have I coddled eggs? Can't remember.  But I don't remember having to coddle myself as much before except maybe after childbirth. I've got a small injury. I've pulled a muscle in a very odd place somewhere in my back and it is affecting my hip and walking. It came completely out of the blue; one minute fine, next minute buckled over in pain. Wow, and I have a high threshold of pain too so it's taken me by complete surprise. This happened after my walk Tuesday when a light dusting of snow hid the bumps on the trails and I complained I found it hard to walk on and worried about turning an ankle. But could something so slight cause this? Anyway, I'm completely pain free till I walk on it and even then if I walk hunched over, I am pain free. So weird. It's only when upright, putting full weight on that leg that it hurts. Odd, heh. So I've taken an Aspirin to combat any inflammation, have the heating pad on it and am hoping for the best.

UPDATE...wrote that last bit on Wednesday. This is Friday and it, whatever it is, is much improved. I'm able to walk upright without pain spasms but moving slowly; overall it is far less painful. I am so relieved and thankful! I'm going to try a tiny walk on the laneway with Tony and Ned this afternoon before the snow starts. I will definitely pace myself but I'm so missing fresh air.  

Well, hope you and your bits are all working well. Be safe and enjoy your weekend stitching or whatever else is on the agenda. 

Besides sharing with the Chookshed party which is now in full swing, I'm also sharing this post with Life in Pieces and The Inquiring Quilter.

26 comments :

Auntie Em said...

I'm just getting back into cross stitch. I like your baggie and ring storage system. Good luck with your hip healing (and also the frozen mystery item.)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better. We've lost power a few times this winter and expect another storm tonight. This winter has been rough so far. We have a small generator we use too. It sure comes in handy! Your EPP Lonestar looks great.

Jackie said...

I have been having an odd pain up one side of my neck and the corresponding shoulder. I am blaming age and the extreme cold weather change.

Like your project bags.

God bless.

Libby in TN said...

Glad you're doing better. I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer. I use a Fine-point Sharpie to label and date everything. I have a list with the dates posted on the outside of the fridge. I try to use the oldest first which means I have to dig sometimes! If it makes you feel any better, I have a whole pork loin in another freezer that's been there over 5 years. We use it in place of Blue Ice in our big picnic cooler!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury, and hope coddling helps it! Glad you're feeling better enough to get out and try a walk. I remember your beautiful Lone Star project - it will be enjoyable to watch your progress on it! Good luck with all of your goals for the year - they definitely sound doable.

Julierose said...

Hope your pain goes away soon...and that your waling will help...
I really like your EPP--such lovely colors in this one...
Hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

Luckily I dont find mystery packages in the freezer, I always label and date them. Just as well, as the contents always look rather mysterouswhen frozen. I'm pleased you small injury is improving, sometimes just dont know what happened to cause that ache or pain. That's an awful lot of snow you've got.

Jenny said...

PS. I'm also taking part in the Chookshed Challenge, I'm a bit late starting as we've only just returned home from our trip away.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Sorry you had a sore muscle. Even a second or two slip can cause such a quick correction to stay upright, a muscle can get involved.
Years a go, just a second correction stepping on ice under snow, I twisted a muscle somewhere on my leg and hip side. It hurt for days.
Your backyard is gorgeous.
Stay warm & safe!

dq said...

Ouch, Jocelyn! Sorry to hear you have been in pain and without power. It does sound like your muscle issues are improving.
I am impressed that you are all set for being without power. We could manage, but not as well as in the home I grew up in. We do have a wood burning stove, but it it inset into the chimney which means the heat goes up the chimney without the blower running.
I grew up where a wood burning stove heated the whole house and you could cook on it in a pinch. We also had a gas stove growing up, but mine is electric because there is no natural gas out where I live. Propane is pretty expensive.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you must have had a pinched nerve or something like that if it is getting better. stretches always help too even if painful. We keep our generator close to the backdoor so it is ready when we need it. We are getting horribly cold weather and wind today - then surprisingly it warms to 45 tomorrow only to drop by night and snow on Sunday - a lot from what they say (for us). I love the blue that you are quilting and yes I have frozen mysteries too in the freezer I don't always remember to label

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you must have had a pinched nerve or something like that if it is getting better. stretches always help too even if painful. We keep our generator close to the backdoor so it is ready when we need it. We are getting horribly cold weather and wind today - then surprisingly it warms to 45 tomorrow only to drop by night and snow on Sunday - a lot from what they say (for us). I love the blue that you are quilting and yes I have frozen mysteries too in the freezer

Kate said...

We resorted to Super Sticky Postit Notes. The Super Sticky ones will stay on in the freezer. We try to label and date every package on the way in.

Nancy J said...

Frozen goodies with no label? Hope your injury is a lot better by now, and the lump under the snow might have given your muscle a weird twist somehow. Having a generator means you are always prepared, we had one many years ago at Lake Tarawera, and have one here.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sorry to hear you hurt your back. Do you have a pair of crampons for your boots to prevent slipping on the ice? A friend and I walk every day at a local park. The paths are plowed and salted so we are safe to walk there. When the weather is bad, we walk at the mall. I saw the forecast for your area…lots of snow! We have no snow at the moment. Happy stitching on your ufo.
I’m always on the hunt for new recipes. I usually have a paper book and an audio book on the go at the same time. I lead a book club at church and need to read next month’s book , Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.

Janice said...

Despite the inconveniences, your snowy scene is very pretty. Have fun working on your #6 project. It looks lovely. I wonder what burning your mystery package? I know it will be a bit of an archaeological dig when I clean out my freezer. It needs doing so I can fit in our garden produce we are now picking.

Linda said...

I hope you enjoy your floss organizers. I have never found a satisfactory way to keep my floss organized.
Your Lonestar medallion is quite pretty, I do love those fabrics!
So I guess snowshoeing is going to wait for a bit while you continue to coddle? Those little injuries are mysterious and certainly feel big, not little. I had a pain all the way down my right leg for about 3 months, and Aleve was the only thing that would ease it. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he gave me about 15 pages (front/back) of exercises to help it. Did I do the exercises? No, and I feel guilty about all that paper, but the pain is gone now. I never knew what caused it. I hope you feel better and better!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh dear! Jocelyn, I am so glad you are feeling some relief. It's awful when we can't move. Hoping that doesn't happen again to you. I do love your EPP star, it's so pretty! What do I do to label everything in the freezer? I mark it with a sharpie before the package is frozen. What it is and the date purchased. Sending you wishes for a lovely and restful weekend!

PaintedThread said...

I'm glad your pain is getting better! I have a trick hip that if I sit the wrong way for a while, putting weight on that leg hurts! I can't walk for a few minutes, and then suddenly it goes away. The body does weird stuff sometimes!

Pretty snow, but no fun for the power outage. Did you get a chance to use your snowshoes? And what's in your mystery package? (I just discovered one in my freezer - it was chicken legs. Dated, but not identified. LOL)

or-ar quilter said...

To remember what and when I have put something in the freezer or cupboard, I use a dry erase marker to write contents and month and year. I now rarely have the mystery package in the freezer or cupboard.

Karen said...

I've had that affliction from walking on uneven territory too. My chiropractor did a few treatments to keep it from getting worse, and told me to take Advil (ibuprofen). The Advil works a charm, and I keep walking to keep it supple. It flares up again if I DON'T walk, imagine that.

K Reeves said...

I’m glad to hear that your mystery twinge is feeling better, those are kinda of nerve wracking when one doesn’t really know when it happened. I use those floss organizers, and while not pretty they have done the job for me for 30 years. :) We bought a 1/4 beef awhile back so we cleaned out both freezers. Most stuff is labeled, but we use old frosting buckets from the grocery store bakery to keep things organized. We have huge chest freezers, so the buckets work great. DH finally made a map of the veggie freezer, and that helps enormously. In spite of that I still ended up with a mystery package that was supposed to be green chiles. I put it in the crock pot frozen and it was actually green beans! I picked most of them out of the Chile before we ate it!

LA Paylor said...

girl, I know ALL about those pains from seemingly nothing... no joke!
I loved all your plans, yes yes yes yes! Love to organize supplies so your little bags made my heart sing.
HATE losing power too... we used to lose power in Maryland weekly. I don't know why, asked the company who said they dont count losses if they are less than an hour.
oy vey
I'm straightening up the studio today, it's snowing all day which we need as it's dry here. Then the schizo weather will be back up to high 40's F next week plus sun.

LeeAnna

Anonymous said...

What a sweet blog you have. I'm trying to read blogs again. They are personable and I get to meet so many people. Here's hoping your hip is better soon. I live in Louisiana, so snowshoeing is most unlikely.
However, we're in a winter blast for the next few days--temps in the teens. Schools, roads, businesses are closed until Thursday. That's how unusual real winter weather is.
Thanks for joining the improv block of the month. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So sorry you hurt yourself - hope it's only a small hurt and goes away in short order.
Resident Chef has a bad habit of thinking that THIS time a piece of masking tape will actually stick on a plastic container that went in the freezer. Funny how he keeps getting proven wrong and the bits of tape are found stuck to something entirely different.

Kate said...

You definitely have a good list of ambitions for 2024. Those out of nowhere pulled muscles are just not fun. Glad you are recovering well from that. Enjoy your stitching time this month, hopefully no more power outages this winter.