Friday 26 January 2024

Crossroads Quilt, Flosstube Stars, Cabbage Soup, Games

This is a wonderful time of year for Youtube Flosstube viewers. Most stitchers give a year end review of their finished projects and WIP's and also patterns that they want to buy, etc. Some are true pattern collectors with even into triple digits in their collection. I always learn of new companies or patterns to note. Flosstube has exploded even since I started watching a few years ago. I especially enjoy the stitchers who also quilt or knit or crochet. Like this young woman who does it all so beautifully... Elizabeth Ann Can Stitch

I saw the Resident Chef's Cabbage Soup recipe while visiting Magpie's Mumblings. It sounded delicious and I remembered a large cabbage in the cold room that hadn't made it into New Year's day dinner. It was easy to put together and we both loved the flavours of this very hearty and versatile recipe. The only change I made was less garlic (I'm a little sensitive) and no green beans because I didn't have any in the house. I added a cup of chick peas instead. 
I always make enough for a crowd so I wound up freezing some. Yes, I've purchased Dollar Store freezer containers and am now labeling like a normal person....as so many of you suggested. My year of being better organized is off to a good start- but it is still only January. 

I've continued stitching more Crossroads Quilt Blocks. These are easy...I cut out four at a time and have ready to go beside the machine. I should mention I've opted to use the same colour for the centers; I think the red gives a bright consistent pop esp. for the darker colour combinations. 

On my winter cross stitching project...
.... the words Jour de Neige, snow and all, are finished and I'm working on the branches and berries at the top. 

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is what games we played as children. Growing up I got to play street games with the kids on Charles Street in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, and have wonderful memories of that. Inside, we had all the usual games including always a jigsaw puzzle on the go.  Later, with my own family, we played lots of games and I'll share this one that was always fun. Huckle Buckle Beanstalk.  Whenever we had another family over we would play it as all the kids can take part. The premise is simple...hide something in plain sight, and it is totally amazing how often the adults will not spy the item. The simple rules are here... Huckle Buckle Beanstalk.

My list of free patterns is piling up. I'll include a few in a post soon. It is our third day of freezing rain; a rime of ice over everything including the trees which I hate to see. It will mean more broken branches and a clean up on the trails again. I really want to get out in the fresh air but haven't ventured outside...too afraid of slipping about even with the cleats. And my hip is still twinging now and then so can't take the risk.

Hope the weather is wonderful wherever you are and your fingers are flying! Happy Weekend all!

Joining these linky parties....Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsSongbird Designs and Kathy's Quilts.


24 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

Stay safe inside. Freezing rain is awful! We played scrabble, monopoly, payday and cribbage. My husband and I played a game of cribbage the other night. I had to remember how to play it--it had been a while! Your counted cross stitch is a lovely project. very seasonal! It is definitely soup season!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

once we start to get twinges I wonder if they ever go away!! ice doesn't sound good hope you have no breaking of tree limbs! rather have the snow then the ice for sure

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That soup sounds delicious, Jocelyn! It has definitely been soup weather just about everywhere lately. I hope it warms up enough that your ice goes away - it always sounds so dangerous. I love your Crossroads blocks - such pretty greens! Pretty stitching on Jour de Neige, too. I also remember playing Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!

Jenny said...

That made me laugh, adding labels like a normal person! Certainly makes identifying those frozen packages so much easier. Your cross with is o nice, and i like you quilt blocks too, simple but very effective.

dq said...

I have heard that ice storms are pretty to look at but dangerous to drive/walk in, not to mention things breaking under the heavy load of ice. I have never actually seen one for real, though.

Your Crossroads Quilt is moving along nicely. The red center squares make them all a team together.

Cabbage soup sounds good. I like cooked cabbage.

Jackie said...

We have sun here again today, so I managed to get a bit of stitching done yesterday and today.

My that soup looks good, I am really going to have to give it a try.

God bless.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You have the right idea to not take chances in icy weather conditions. Even a quick slip can cause damage.
Child games. Interesting. Monopoly is the only game I remmeber playing indoors as a family.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad you tried the soup! We freeze some of it too so we can enjoy it later or on a night when we are pressed for time.
I like the red in the center of your blocks - sort of reminiscent of the 'home fire' that's often a feature of the log cabin pattern.
Games I played as a child - I was an only child on a farm and so there wasn't much time for games. I did love playing crockinole though because I could play 'both sides' and we sometimes played three-handed euchre.

Quilting Babcia said...

The Jour de Niege is such a beautiful piece, you have infinite patience to complete intricate stitcheries like this. We love cabbage soup and it's become a staple of our winter diet, usually a 6 quart soup pot each time I make it. It doesn't last long! I do want to make a Crossroads quilt sometime this year, but in the meantime I'll watch your progress. Happy weekend, did you have the 50 degree weather we had earlier today?

Astrid said...

Love your cross stitching, it's so pretty. Nice blocks too, the bright red square brightens it up. Icy roads are the worst (I hear from Norway these days!) Hot, humid and rain here, we've had two cyclones in two weeks. The first one gave lots of rain and strong wind, the second one not so much.

Beth French said...

Huckle Buckle Beanstalk! I remember playing that game and yes it was fun, particularly the hot and cold part. Fond memories!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thanks for the flosstube tip! I didn't know anything about them. The cabbage soup looks wonderful and I'm glad the freezing and marking of food is helping!

I just love your cross stitch, such a lovely pattern! Have a great day Jocelyn!

cityquilter grace said...

love your stitchery and those crossroads blocks!

Carol in Texas said...

Oh, Jocelyn……flosstube! It is addictive! I spend many hours stitching and watching and listening to a number of my favorite stitchers as they show me their stitching and purchases. I have learned so much from following some wonderful stitchers. I always love Carol Saltbox Stitcher and Sheri the Colorado Crossstitcher among so many others. Have you watched Sew Tattered? That young woman really gets a lot done, stitching and quilting. And Christy the Crosshatch Quilter is just lovely. The Twisted Stitcher is the source of many wonderful tutorials and she is lovely to share so many of her talents. I could go on and on. It was a happy day when I first sat down to watch Sheri, on the advice of a stitching blogger Brenda at The Quilting Nook. Another blogger I so enjoy is Carol at Stitching Dreams. She blogs once or twice a month and makes 12 new ornaments each year. Her blog is lovely. I’ve gotten so many blog names and patterns from your blog. I find it always interesting to read. And I love that mug you found at the thrift shop! It is lovely!.

loulee said...

Those cross roads blocks look great. Keep warm.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

It sure is soup weather! I will have to give your recipe a try. Definitely stay inside until the ice thaws. No need to injure yourself with a slip and fall. We had several ice days here two weeks ago. The emergency rooms reported that they saw a new record of people with injuries from slipping and falling. I like your cross town blocks. I made some of them and plan to make more. I loved your cross stitch!

Auntie Em said...

I love your winter cross stitch project. I hear so much about Flosstube. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely cross roads blocks. I'm going to have to check out Floss Tube. Your soup sounds delicious. I always make way too much, and usually pass them out to my girls' families, as well as putting one in my freezer.

CathieJ said...

We've had rain and gloomy clouds for several days, but thankfully no ice. Stay safe. I like the berries on your snowy cross-stitch. Your cross-roads blocks look great. I have yet to get hooked on FlossTube. I want to watch, but am afraid I won't get any crafting done.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great GREEN scraps in your Crossroads blocks, Jocelyn! Your soup looks tasty. I'm always looking for a new recipe. I found several this week and made a delicious Chicken Orzo soup. Yum!

Bonnie said...

I try not to get too involved with You Tube. Next thing I know hours have gone by and I haven't gotten anything done. Sigh. I like your red squares and the Crossroads blocks. For a while I lived in a tight knit neighborhood where the kids would play lots of outdoor games together. I think Flash Light tag was my favorite. Fun to remember those times.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! I am enthralled with your Crossroads quilt blocks. The red centers are the tie that binds them all together. I love having a common theme in scrap/random-themed project. Your winter cross stitching is coming along nicely, and the weather has been perfect to assist with staying inside and working on it! Stay staff - that ice is nothing to mess around with unless you absolutely have to. You don't! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Debbie said...

Huckle Huckle Beanstalk sounds like a great game. And I do believe the kids would be better than the adults which is why it is such a good game. Your counted cross stitch is so pretty. You must be bilingual....
We were cold enough in Wisconsin not to get the rain, but light snow.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your Crossroads quilt blocks are gorgeous and I really love your cross stitch project! That soup looks wonderful! I love cabbage soup...just wish my other half ate it! I am making soup tonight though - potato bacon corn chowder because it's cold and rainy here! Stay safe. Ice is not fun! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!