Tuesday 30 January 2024

Bramble Blooms, Chookshed Stitchers Challenge, Free Patterns

If the sun is making it higher in the sky each day, we will never know here in our corner of Ontario. Even our weather guy said our usually gloomy winter weather has been unnaturally greyer this year.  It is interesting that this seems to be happening in other countries as well. And it makes me wonder if  greater weather change is afoot- or not.
 
I'm reading an ebook version of this book below and must say how much I'm enjoying it. It's about a young couple working hard to successfully homestead, work at marriage and create a family in Alaska in the fifties. If you think you'd enjoy an updated take on pioneering, this story is for you. 

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, I've played some more with my Bramble Blooms QAL project. Since I'm digging out scraps for this, I used a pile of squares cut long long ago that were pastel colours. It made a sort of a piano keys kind of border.  My thinking was this first border should not fight for attention with the bright colours of the center block flowers. 
And I've moved along my  #6 in the  Chookshed Stitchers 2024 Challenge. Lonestar Medallion is gradually getting its white corner pieces. I left the templates in the diamonds on the edges so I could hand sew these large white corners easily to it. So I thought...it's been a bit fiddly to keep it smooth and tight while stitching. But I've got just the last one to go and then I'll have a flimsie. I'd had to wait till I got a chance to buy large enough white material as I usually buy fat quarters which are too narrow for this purpose. Anyway, pleased now it is moving along.

A few sites offering lovely free patterns ...
At All People Quilt, the bluework embroidered pin cushions called Darling Duo from Birdbrain Designs really appealed to me. Blue and white so go together well for winter. 

Here is one I've had in my files for a couple of years. Love orange peel designs and this one in cool wintry colours is so pretty. From The Crafty Quilter

Lewis & Irene, the British fabric folks, have a bank of lovely free quilty projects to look through. This one caught my eye. This heart motif design is called Hannah's Flowers

This morning, though not bright, all is calm. I'm going to get back to listening to these soothing instrumentals of classical greats...


 while stitching ...wonderful! 

20 comments :

Julierose said...

Your Bramble Blooms is looking terrific! I really like the pastel borders --just the perfect addition for your vibrant flowery center--nice work!!
thanks for the Classical Music linky for YT--I will definitely use it when stitching...
It is so G R A Y here all the time--we are also wondering if this is the new Winter--just grayness...not even any snow to speak of here...
Hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your Bramble Flowers are so lovely and the border is perfect! Lonestar looks like a lovely quilt, I'd like to see a hanging picture when the white sections are attached. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the look of your Bramble Blooms piece, Jocelyn! That's a great way to use those squares. Such pretty blues and whites with that pop of red in your LoneStar medallion, too. I agree - blue and white is a great combination to sew with for winter. Continuing to wish you a sunny day!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I agree, the lighter border works well with the bright flowers. It is lovely. The Lonestar Medallion is gorgeous, nice work there.

Jenny said...

Good going to get the medallion to the flimsy stage.

Jackie said...

Everything is coming along so nicely. I love the pastel borders, suits the Bramble Blooms perfectly.

God bless.

Deb A said...

Your Bramble Blooms are looking great. I agree, the soft pastel border sets off your blooms beautifully. I wish I could send you up a little sunshine. We have nice cool temps (60's F) and clear sky's this week but have had lots of cloudy days the last few weeks as well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the pastel border goes great with those flowers! I will look for the book thanks recommending one.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your pastel squares frame your bright flowers beautifully, great choice for your first Bramble border. Yes, the skies have been so gray lately and last week the fog was so heavy that the mountain right behind the house across the road was barely visible. Your lone star top is progressing wonderfully too. Thanks for sharing the links to free patterns, I think the little orange peel table topper would make a lovely holiday gift for some special friends.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your Bramble Blooms looks great! Your Lonestar is coming along nicely. Thanks for the free patterns!

PaintedThread said...

I agree - I like the pastel border, too. Enjoy your stitching!

Anonymous said...

Those little squares in the border of your medallion quilt are a perfect frame for your appliqué flowers. Gray here too. I like a white winter with cold and sunny winter days. Gail at the cozy quilter

Linda said...

Bramble Blooms is so pretty, and I love the peek at your Lonestar Medallion. The weather? Maybe because I have a quirky interest in it, I know that weather patterns have ebbed and flowed since the beginning of time, so if there is change it will be slow in coming. Thanks for the link to Winter Seeds. I saved it years ago and lost the link - love that pattern.

Susie H said...

I think you got that border on Bramble Blooms perfect! The size and colors are exactly right with the beautiful center. Thanks for the Bird Brains pattern. I love their designs too!

Carol in Texas said...

The classical music YouTube is wonderful Jocelyn!

cityquilter grace said...

our winter here in maryland has also been one long gray and dreary day....like today! i see the little sun on the TV weather forecast but not outside my window...this is what we get when we whine about the terribly hot summer weather with sunshine that doesn't seem to take a break....sigh

dq said...

Congratulations on your goal progress!

I enjoyed the music and just purchased the book, Homestead. It intrigues me.
Your Bramble Blooms QAL project is growing beautifully!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your Bramble Blooms is blooming prettily. And thank you for the links too!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your progress on your BBs. The pastel border frames your blooms nicely, great decision.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Adorable flower block you are working on, Jocelyn!!