Tuesday 23 January 2024

Thrift Store Finds, Taryn's Tiny 9 Patch Challenge Project

We've been taking our Vitamin D regularly. The lack of sunshine had been appalling most of the fall and it is continuing into winter it seems. Though today a weak sun is trying to peak through the cloud cover. I just read an online report that a multivitamin a day might help slow down dementia. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it did!
Here is a trio of thrift store finds to share with you as promised... I watched as a lady ahead of me picked up this mug and thought-oh no, she's going to want it.
 But she looked at the price tag, $4.99, and put it back (most mugs were $2.99 with a $1 bin too). I had spied it and knew it was a Rifle Paper Co. mug. Online price with gold trim averages $22 US. 
It has a big M on it and even though my initial is not M, I figured I'm forever a Mom and that counts too. 
I also found this brand new, never cracked open book by the wonderful Gwen Marston. I had the thought this might be inspiration for the Bramble Blooms QAL. (I've since had the thought I may own a copy of this-it looked so familiar...haven't checked that out yet. But then again I may have gotten it from the library at some point.)
I was also able to buy this beautiful stain free reversable table cloth with a pretty plaid trim...a thickish kind of material that doesn't need ironing. My thought was the lighter mustard yellow would look good in our wooden house and it is big enough to fit the table with the inserts. And I only have a Christmas and a summer cloth at that size. It's already been through the washing machine and came out great. Our brown Johnson Brothers Winter Village dishes look pretty against it too. So I had a great shop looking about and kept well within my $25 limit per visit. 
  I've been following Taryn, the Repro Quilter, for years. Recently she has been making teeny tiny Nine Patch Quilt Blocks and I became quite enamored with them. Her completed blocks are some ridiculous size like 2 inches! Really? That can't be true. I want to make these little squares too but my fingers cannot mange that small. I experimented on the machine first. I think these were 1.5 in patches.
And then decided to try EPP with a one inch patch which would give a 3 inch block finish, the largest in Taryn's challenge. I can stitch this size fine. My first blocks have been hand stitched EPP but I'm going to try it out at this size on the machine today to see if I can get it to work. These tiny blocks in various colours will work out for another RSC project too. They still have their thin cardboard templates in them so appear bumpier. 
Improved a bit as I went along.
Anyway, Taryn is running a QAL called The Tiny Nine Patch Challenge Project and I signed on. She is basing this project on a beautiful late 19th century quilt in her collection that is made up of 480 of these hand sewn tiny blocks. 

I've played some more with my Bramble Blooms project.  Update next time. 

I work on most of my projects in front of the tv watching/listening to a variety of programs. I prefer this as I feel it is more productive...I'm actually doing two things at once which makes me sound very productive, :D. And in the sewing room, I usually listen to audio books there. Do you feel like you have to be listening/watching something while stitching too?

I'm really loving the projects I'm working on for the start of 2024. Hope it is similar at your house!

Joining linky parties at Quilt Fabrication, Alycia QuiltsA Quiltery, Creations Art QuiltsQuilting Patchwork Applique and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.


24 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my word - just the THOUGHT of making those designs that small makes me feel the need to have a lie down. Even making them in a 3" finish size is enough to make me feel faint. You're a braver woman than I, that's for sure!
Great finds at the thriftie - that mug is beautiful.
I used to have music on in my sewing room all the time until we moved here. I bought a nice new radio and then discovered that living in a building built with cement blocks means no radio signal will come through. Tried streaming music on the computer but after running my internet usage 'over' a few times I decided that wasn't such a good plan. Now I have to listen to whatever Resident Chef has going on the tv in the living room. He sometimes listens to music but mostly the old country which I don't like.

Julierose said...

Loving your teeny 9-patches--they are very small--my hands would not be able to manage those really tiny ones either; I have enough trouble sewing bindings on...I do have that Gwen Marston book and love the simplicity of her quilts...
mine all seem to be scrambled beside hers...but "chacun a son metier"
(is that right in French?) I guess...enjoy your stitching hugs Julierose

Jackie said...

I always need something in my hands to work on while watching/listening to the television.

I quite agree there really has been a dearth of sunshine so far this winter. Yesterday the sun tried to peak out at around 4 in the afternoon. I may have to try and embroider without that extra light.

God bless.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have you tried adding a sun lamp or two to your house in the winter - it is supposed to help with lack of sun light. My daughter uses one several times a day I think - they have ones that you can position on a end table or wherever. I have taken a daily multi-vitamin for years and years so I should be set good if it helps dementia

Jenny said...

Good finds in the thrift shop. I don't listen to anything while working at the sewing machine, although I do sometimes knit in front of the TV. But if the programme is really exciting, I have to put the knitting down!

Arish said...

Estupendas compras y ésos bloques pequeñitos quedan muy bien. BESICOS.

Jennifer said...

Don't you love a good thrift store buy! In Australia we call them 'op shops', which is short for 'opportunity'.

time4stitchn said...

You have so many wonderful projects going on. I love dabbling in lots of them as well. Your new photo on the banner is lovely with the pile of books. I haven't crocheted for years and love the stitch that makes the granny squares. Working with yarn is so relaxing, but I can't seem to finish them very well. Your afghan is so lovely. I love quilting much more. Thanks for the reminder on the vitamin D. I think I need to get my happy light out, too. I am intrigued with your applique and PPP projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You find such fun things at the thrift shop, Jocelyn! That mug is so pretty - it would be a pleasure to have a cup of tea in. The Gwen Marston book looks perfect for you, too. I never would have thought to make those tiny 9 patches with EPP, but what a good idea. Wishing you a sunny day as the week goes on!

loulee said...

Cute wee tiny blocks. I do hope you find a sewing method that works for you. Tiny squares for RSC sounds good.

dq said...

I have purchased a book before and then discovered that I already had it. It just means you really like it!
I too am taking daily vitamin D. I believe it really makes a difference in my mood and keeps me more healthy from sickness.

Ute naeht und strickt said...

Hallo und liebe Grüße aus Deutschland.
Ich erkenne mich wieder
Auch ich hab den Fernseher laufen beim Handarbeiten und beim Naehe läuft ein Hoerbuch. Als ich Deinen Post las musste ich lachen
Alles Liebe Ute

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a pretty mug! Thank goodness the other woman who picked it up did not buy it! I have several books by Gwen Marston. I went the her last three Beaver Island Quilt Retreats. Such a wonderful experience. Those little nine patches will make a fun RSC project. I usually have an audio book on the go…I’m almost finished listening to Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. This is the February book for my book club. I’m learning things about Aparthied that I did not know about before.

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas said...

Great thrift store finds! I also enjoy having the tv on while stitching but I work slower 🤭

Linda said...

Love that beautiful mug, and the table cover is a real steal! I love thrift shop finds! The name "Tiny" just makes me run screaming, but I am very impressed with your tiny nine patch blocks. So do the EPP ones lay flatter than the machine sewn ones?

Bernie Kringel said...

As soon as I saw the mug I was hoping you were able to purchase it. I would have done the same thing! I love the florals by Rifle Paper. You did quite well at the thrift shop Jocelyn!! I have checked out that same Marston book from the library. It has some lovely projects in it.

We (in WA state) are lacking sunshine too. Yesterday we had some blue skies and everyone cheered. Back to rainy weather today though. I listen to audio books if I am sewing something I don't have to 'think' too hard with. Otherwise I keep music on in the background.

CathieJ said...

I love your thrift store finds. That mug is so pretty. Those nine patch blocks are adorable. Personally, I prefer to listen to music or just have quiet when I am crafting. Enjoy all of your pretty stitching.

PaintedThread said...

Love that mug! What a fun find. Cute little 9 patches.

Angela said...

Thrift stores are so fun! Good finds!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! WOW! Beautiful mug and a bargain, too. You found some wonderful treasures during your shopping trip. How does Taryn make 9-patch blocks that are only 2" finished. Yikes! Those are very skinny strips for that size. And then, you need 480 of those tiny blocks. It's a fabulous hand-stitching, nighttime project though. Enjoy and have fun. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I thought of making those tiny little 9 patches but I just couldn't! They're just too small for me. I love that mug! Great find!!!

Deb said...

yes, I listen/watch tv while I sew too. Recently I was listening to a tow truck show and it makes we warmer knowing they are outside while I get o stay inside and stitch!
I made a smaller 3 1/2" quilt for a wedding quilt , it took forever! It was from Spectacular quilt from small pieces. I think 3 1/2" is as small as I can go.
Happy stitching!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Well done buying this cute mug, great bargain! The new book looks great too, and wow, your tiny little 9-patches are wonderful! It's fun to make small blocks ;)
Thank you for sharing these cuties!

Denise said...

You did well at the resale store, such a beautiful mug. Now you have to make a rug specifically for it. Love the fabrics in the 9 patch blocks. Thank you for sharing in Put your foot down.